Private networking

mztang52

Hi guys, I have one router right now and wanted to create private network for own business uses. I changed my dhcp gateway and ip addresses but it still doesn't work. e.g, I can see my public ip address on google,I changed everything in my dhcp pool. My computer then assigned the IP address that I had set in my router's dhcp pool. But then when I check on google again,it shows my public ip address again.

Second question: I got 100mbps fiber internet but if I got 350 computers are connecting to the router using switches, will every computer get like 5-10mbps speed? Because it is fiber and I want to set the speed limit for every computer so that every computer got equal speed.

Edited by mztang52

You should hire professionals. Connecting 350 host is not easy.

And of course you do see your public IP on Google.

3 hours ago, mztang52 said:

Hi guys, I have one router right now and wanted to create private network for own business uses. I changed my dhcp gateway and ip addresses but it still doesn't work. e.g, I can see my public ip address on google,I changed everything in my dhcp pool. My computer then assigned the IP address that I had set in my routee's dhcp pool. But then when I check on google again,it shows my public ip address again.

Second question: I got 100mbps fiber internet but if I got 350 computers are connecting to the router using switches, will every computer get like 5-10mbps speed? Because it is fiber and I want to set the speed limit for every computer so that every computer got equal speed.

I am having a hard time understanding what you are trying to accomplish. You already have a "private" network. If you have a business account with your ISP, you likely have a static public IP address. Of course you can "see" your public IP address (hint: it's called public for a reason).

You're router does firewalling and NAT which prevents unwanted connections to individual devices within your local network.

Based on the content of your question, if your business has 350 computers, you need to hire a guy or a consultant to administrate your network for you.

3 hours ago, .spider. said:

You should hire professionals. Connecting 350 host is not easy.

And of course you do see your public IP on Google.

I mean I have 100mbps connection by 2 fiber ISP as my backbone.

42 minutes ago, mztang52 said:

I mean I have 100mbps connection by 2 fiber ISP as my backbone.

Ok what do you want to tell me?

There's a fine line between knowing enough to be able to set up a business network with just some help from a forum, and knowing enough to think you can accomplish it but really you can't and should hire a consultant. I mean no offense, but so far you seem to be on the side of that line where you should hire a consultant. I say this due to the misunderstanding about public IPs and a private network.

But in case I'm wrong and you're just having a silly moment (happens to us all!) here's some comments that should help you out:

1. If you are going to have more than one ISP and need to have both be connected and usable for the whole private network, you're going to need both a router capable of that, and to get it set up properly. This is called Load Balancing and is *not* called Link Aggregation, by the way.

2. Most of the time you only get one public IP from your ISP. Since you have two ISPs, you'll have two public IPs. The setup of your router will determine which public IP (and ISP) the traffic from a particular host and connection will use. And unless you have your ISP change it, or force a DHCP renew if you don't have static IPs, your public IP will never change. This is usually a good thing.

3. The simple fact of connecting a bunch of computers to the private side of a router via switches will not slow down any one of the computers. What slows down one computer is if several/many/all of the other computers are also trying to use the internet.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

3. The simple fact of connecting a bunch of computers to the private side of a router via switches will not slow down any one of the computers. What slows down one computer is if several/many/all of the other computers are also trying to use the internet.

350 hosts in one subnet will cause a lot broadcast traffic and slow down the network.

6 hours ago, .spider. said:

350 hosts in one subnet will cause a lot broadcast traffic and slow down the network.

Well that's why you rarely see a subnet bigger than /24 (254 hosts including the router). Most any router that can support dual WAN can also support multiple subnets.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

31 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Well that's why you rarely see a subnet bigger than /24 (254 hosts including the router). Most any router that can support dual WAN can also support multiple subnets.

How if I seperate one from one router to two or three router? I mean I have one router for each internet backbone but how if I buy some more routers so that they can support more computers and tasks without facing slow speed issue.

1 minute ago, mztang52 said:

How if I seperate one from one router to two or three router? I mean I have one router for each internet backbone but how if I buy some more routers so that they can support more computers and tasks without facing slow speed issue.

Just stop.

You cannot set this up asking a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum when you don't even have basic networking knowledge.

You are wanting to run a high school track competition when you can't even crawl.

As brutal as this is, your best bet would be to contact a presales engineer for quotes on the hardware and man hours to configure this. There are dozens of things that I'm thinking of that I would want to check before I gave you a solution and many of these can't simply be resolved via a forum - Keeping in mind that I reguarly do these presales consultations.