Need help finding a place for my GPU

Hello everyone,

This is the build I have in mind so far: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/2MLTXL

I wanted to go with the Noctua D15, because of its cooling capacity (maybe I am bit biased as I am from Austria too). However, with the Mainboard I chose, I would have to move the GTX 980 Ti down two slots, because the D15 reaches over to the first PCIe slot. My concern is that the GPU is too big and I can't connect the front panel.

Can you tell my if my worries are rational or not? Do I have to choose a different CPU? Anything else I forgot to think about?

Any help is appreciated.

Tobi

get a full ATX system so you have some room man xD its probably fine tho

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, iTobii said:

Hello everyone,

This is the build I have in mind so far: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/2MLTXL

I wanted to go with the Noctua D15, because of its cooling capacity (maybe I am bit biased as I am from Austria too). However, with the Mainboard I chose, I would have to move the GTX 980 Ti down two slots, because the D15 reaches over to the first PCIe slot. My concern is that the GPU is too big and I can't connect the front panel.

Can you tell my if my worries are rational or not? Do I have to choose a different CPU? Anything else I forgot to think about?

Any help is appreciated.

Tobi

So what you're doing is shoving a massive cooler on a tiny board. 

the way I see it, you have 2 options:

1. Get a smaller keyboard COOLER

2. go for ATX, not mATX

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

3 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

1. Get a smaller keyboard

2. go for ATX, not mATX

Keyboard? Motherboard? Right?

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

get a full ATX system so you have some room man xD its probably fine tho

Yes that would solve a lot of potential problems. However, my case situation is a bit special. I will use an old Apple PowerMac G5 case and want to keep the back as original as possible, which means 4 extension cards. Might need to rethink on that if there is no other option though :|

Just now, iTobii said:

Yes that would solve a lot of potential problems. However, my case situation is a bit special. I will use an old Apple PowerMac G5 case and want to keep the back as original as possible, which means 4 extension cards. Might need to rethink on that if there is no other option though :|

yah get something else if you cant make this work, would solve all your problems

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, ReThorb_ said:

Keyboard? Motherboard? Right?

Uhhh, I typed cooler...

sorry, I'll fix. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

3 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Get the NH-D15s

Would this do the job? The D15S just saves a fan, its width is the same.

6 minutes ago, iTobii said:

Would this do the job? The D15S just saves a fan, its width is the same.

But is has an asymmetrical design, so it does not block the pcie slot. In their website it says that it is compatible with micro atx boards

So what you're doing is shoving a massive cooler on a tiny board. 

1. Get a smaller keyboard COOLER

2. go for ATX, not mATX

So using the other PCIe is not an option?

3 minutes ago, iTobii said:

So using the other PCIe is not an option?

It will WORK, but the PCI slots closer to the CPU are better, usually they will have the most lanes. 

It may actually grant better performance to use the top slot.

There is a more DIY option: PCIe Riser cables.

it is a ribbon cable that allows you to place the GPU elsewhere while still being plugged into the mainboard. 

Solitaire. 

But is has an asymmetrical design, so it does not block the pcie slot. In their website it says that it is compatible with micro atx boards

Ah yes, now I see it! Thank you very much. I believe this is the way I will go about this.

Edited by iTobii
Got the wrong quote.