old CPU architecture vs new

what kind of CPU gains will I find when I compare my i7 860 2.8ghz vs new CPU of same value and better architecture? Also would a dual core g3258(overclocked) be better than an older quad core eight thread CPU? Thanks guys!

well youll get better single core performance, if youre only gaming the g3258 would be better. on multicore performance the 860 will still be better. and of course youll get better performance per watt, i believe the tdp of the pentium is like 50ish, wheres the 860 is at 150ish

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

3 minutes ago, Kickflapper said:

what kind of CPU gains will I find when I compare my i7 860 2.8ghz vs new CPU of same value and better architecture? Also would a dual core g3258(overclocked) be better than an older quad core eight thread CPU? Thanks guys!

1. Every generation Intel tends to 20% more performance that it's last generation. Intel will make a small dye that means less power consumption.

2. Yes Indeed G3258 may have beaten couple quad cores.

4 minutes ago, Kickflapper said:

Exact numbers depend on what you are doing. But in general you will be looking at much better performance at much lower power usage. 

And again, depends on what you are doing. Likely the G3258 will be better for most single/dual-core applications. But some that will use all 4 cores/8 threads will likely utilize the i7 better.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

2 minutes ago, d3sl91 said:

Exact numbers depend on what you are doing. But in general you will be looking at much better performance at much lower power usage. 

And again, depends on what you are doing. Likely the G3258 will be better for most single/dual-core applications. But some that will use all 4 cores/8 threads will likely utilize the i7 better.

Hello again :P The pentium will beat it in single core stuff but in multicore you will win. If you could upgrade that to one of the 6 core Xeons on that platform then you could get even better multicore but you would still be beat in single core. But since you bought used you probably got that CPU and the mobo for the same price as the g3258 costs new.

G3258 is complete pants, idk how people use it.

ffs, a 6320 is annoying to use.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

what would then be a OK LGA 1150 chip until i can get something better like a 4690k? I am looking to upgrade CPU/MOBO and can't really afford both now. I want to get a descend z97  motherboard Asus A or like a MSI gamer 5, The CPU is something I want to get now and resell later for a better model

9 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

G3258 is complete pants, idk how people use it.

ffs, a 6320 is annoying to use.

I own a G3258 and the system performs well under ultra settings in many games (i.e. metro 2033, alien isolation, etcetc). It is a cpu for oc enthusiasts tho. Now that skylake has arrived the idea of buying a g3258 or an 1150 i3 processor without a discount, does not sound so appealing to me. But on a discount (2nd hand maybe).... why not.

Maybe pick up something like an i3 4170(i think that's correct) used until you can get the 4690k.

That said if your saving anyway you might as well just get an i7 or xeon later instead of an i5.

The G3258 will suffer when games are CPU bound for example, Cities: Skylines.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)