Apple users targeted in first known Mac ransomware campaign

piemadd
On 6 March 2016 at 11:51 AM, Implosivetech said:

So, here is the thing. The "Macs can't get viruses" thing is becoming a dream. Sooner or later, its going to be that no computer can't get viruses. This is what every mac owner is saying:

2a9b67a.png

Yes apple is doing stuff about it, but really. They aren't doing much if anything at all. Apple has to get into the mainstream. They can't just keep on doing this.

So the website doesn't look too official, but it looks good enough to someone who isn't paying attention.

5756100.png

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-ransomware-idUSKCN0W80VX

The website IS official. Transmission is an extremely reputed torrenting client among OSX users. Are you going to say that Linux mint is also not official since someone attacked the website and changed the file that got downloaded? Cause this is the same exact thing. 

In short? If you aren't a fricking OSX user, then don't comment on its software. Cause you know nothing.  

On 6 March 2016 at 11:55 AM, RedWulf said:

Kinda makes me happy in all honesty. I mean yes, its bad for the sake of security and is bad timing with the FBI demanding a back door. But, now the snobby iFanboys lose like 50% of their argument since there's hard evidence of a somewhat typical virus attack on mac. 

Same stupid arguement as OSX doesn't have a lot of apps. Maybe its time you Windows fanboys through that misconception out the window too??

9 hours ago, TechGod said:

Same stupid arguement as OSX doesn't have a lot of apps. Maybe its time you Windows fanboys through that misconception out the window too??

Throw*

I'm more of a Linux guy, but nice try

and I fail to see how that argument is remotely like the lack of support for OSX, The virus argument was in favor of apple, though it is now crumbling, the lack of supported programs argument was in favor of windows.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

On 3/6/2016 at 6:51 AM, Implosivetech said:

So, here is the thing. The "Macs can't get viruses" thing is becoming a dream.

It has always been a dream. Mac, like Windows and even Linux can get viruses. This has always been the case.

With that out of the way, Macs are infact a greater or better target for hackers employing Ransomware since those who can afford (or would fork out money for the marketed Apple brand) should also be able to pay the hackers.

I'm almost certain if I were hit with Ransomware I'd simply go kuss for a minute, compose myself and just do a complete wipe of my OS and re-install. All my office and important files are synced to the cloud anyway.

On March 6, 2016 at 5:55 PM, RedWulf said:

Kinda makes me happy in all honesty. I mean yes, its bad for the sake of security and is bad timing with the FBI demanding a back door. But, now the snobby iFanboys lose like 50% of their argument since there's hard evidence of a somewhat typical virus attack on mac. 

Apple fixed a 0-day attack in a matter of hours.

Windows can't say the same.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all