Need new GPU... Help?

sof006

So yeah. I am in the middle of deciding what GPU to go for, I am getting paid this Friday coming and recently returned a R9 Nano because of coil whine and FPS stuttering.

I have a GTX 980 at the moment and want something more powerful. The 980 Ti is looking very good to me however I know Nvidia has its "issues" with DX12 whereas AMD doesn't. (Which is why I got myself a R9 nano).

My whole purpose for making this post is I want to future proof myself for DX12 titles but without gimping my current great performance in games with my GTX 980. I am currently playing a lot of DX 11 titles with no real issues on this card however on the Nano I had a cluster of FPS drops, stutters etc unless it was a DX12 title or benchmark. My absolute limit is £500 (Notice this is in British Pounds, not US Dollars) or maybe slightly more but preferably stay below £500.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

wait for pascal/polaris. Upgrading from a980 now is pointless af.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

5 minutes ago, sof006 said:

So yeah. I am in the middle of deciding what GPU to go for, I am getting paid this Friday coming and recently returned a R9 Nano because of coil whine and FPS stuttering.

I have a GTX 980 at the moment and want something more powerful. The 980 Ti is looking very good to me however I know Nvidia has its "issues" with DX12 whereas AMD doesn't. (Which is why I got myself a R9 nano).

My whole purpose for making this post is I want to future proof myself for DX12 titles but without gimping my current great performance in games with my GTX 980. I am currently playing a lot of DX 11 titles with no real issues on this card however on the Nano I had a cluster of FPS drops, stutters etc unless it was a DX12 title or benchmark. My absolute limit is £500 (Notice this is in British Pounds, not US Dollars) or maybe slightly more but preferably stay below £500.

i say get 2 gtx 970 in sli yes its 3.5 vram but all the cuda cores. your good for like 4k and stuff

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

You could wait, or you could get a Fury X, also that Nano you had sounds defective.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

4 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

wait for pascal/polaris. Upgrading from a980 now is pointless af.

I could wait but I am impatient and doubt the performance will be that much better vs my poor 980 that struggles with DX12 (performance is worse in dx12 vs 11)

Just now, Citadelen said:

You could wait, or you could get a Fury X, also that Nano you had sounds defective.

It does sound like it and Fury X is tempting. Seen good things about it.

System Specs:

1 minute ago, sof006 said:

-snip-

You should consider waiting for Polaris, a 980 will last you till then. Polaris has DX12.1 support and twice the amount of transistors, so it really makes sense to wait.

Just now, Citadelen said:

You should consider waiting for Polaris, a 980 will last you till then. Polaris has DX12.1 support and twice the amount of transistors, so it really makes sense to wait.

I suppose it does make sense. Is there any guarantee they'll come this year and if so any guesses as to when?

System Specs:

1 minute ago, sof006 said:

I suppose it does make sense. Is there any guarantee they'll come this year and if so any guesses as to when?

AMD has had working samples since late 2015 and has displayed it working at CES I think it was, they've also confirmed a mid-2016 release.

Yeah definitely wait for Polaris if you're impatient or Pascal if you think you can handle 8 more months ;).

Like others have said upgrade from a 980 right now would be kind of pointless unless you go for SLI 980Ti or something like that.

Also DX12 is in its infancy and you probably won't see gains over DX11 for at least a year when developers are comfortable with the features and are coding specifically for the API as opposed to implementing DX12 features in a base DX11 game. Same happened with DX11 and DX10 in their infancy.

So if you REALLY want to get a minor upgrade go for the 980Ti but really I'd say wait it out and see what Polaris has to offer. You may be able to get two midrange Polaris cards in crossfire that absolutely stomp a 980Ti. From what I remember they were saying that the midrange Polaris (coming out mid 2016) will have similar performance to or higher than the 290x and will at LEAST feature GDDR5X and will have MUCH lower power consumption because of the FinFET process. So putting two of those together could easily be the upgrade you're looking for and could also cost close to what a single 980Ti would now.

I've noticed the Fury X is cheaper than the 980 Ti currently.

System Specs: