Well I finally did it

DaMainMan

Hello everyone,

some of you may have read my posts the last couple weeks/months concerning the parts I should get for me new system - well its finally finished! Thanks everyone for the input.

I pretty much considered everyones suggestions except for the cooling -> which would somewhat bite me in the ass in the end (more on that later).

Here is the parts list:

CPU:     Intel i7 6700k

Case:   CM Mastercase 5 Pro

Mobo:  ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

RAM:    HyperX FURY DDR4-2400

GPU:    Palit 970 (I already had that one)

PSU:    Corsair RM750x

SSD:    Samsung EVO 850 250gb

HDD:    WD Red 2tb (yea I know I should have gotten the WD Black - I actually forgot to change that before I ordered)

Cooling: Corsair H110i GT

And here is my build story for your entertainment:

This is actually the first PC I have completely built myself - my last one I built together with a more experienced person about 5 years ago. But after watching Linus do it about a 100 times I figured I would be able to do it B|.

The build started off without any problems. CPU, Mobo, Ram, cabling didn't pose any problems (the Mastercase made it extremely easy to cable-manage even for a noob).

Then I started to unbox my cooler, took off the top cover of the case (one of the reasons I bought the Mastercase was to take advantage of that praised radiator-mount ontop) and soon realized that the 280mm cooler I bought was not going to fit in the 240mm mount...

This of course completey put me out of concept, since I have been laying out my build for the couple months and I did not plan on doing any improvising (nor have any experience with it). After having a little panic-attack, I went online and found out to my relief, that the Mastercase is able to fit a 280mm radiator...in the front.

So out go all the HD cages and in goes the radiator. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to figure out how to mount the radiator/fans in the front (Linus would have built 3 PC's in that time...) but it eventually worked out.

Being proud of myself, I continued with the build. When I got to the harddive, I ran into the next problem -> since I had to remove all the cages for the radiator, I had nowhere to put my drive... Luckily the Mastercase claims to the all modular, so I removed the disc-drive cage and put in the hard drive one.

It sits in there a little crooked and I cant install DVD-drives at the moment, but it works fine.

Do you guys have any suggestions where I could mount the harddrive in an alternative spot? I have the feeling I might have missed something, since I dont think I'm the only one who mounted a front radiator in that case and wants to use a Hardrive + DVD drive.

The only thing that still won't work is the Corsair Link system for the H110i -> The system won't recognize the USB connection: "Device Descriptor Request Failed" -> Any suggestions?

The rest works fine and I even overclocked a little (since its as easy as 3 clicks these days) -> the CPU is running at 4,6ghz with idle temps around 20c and 60c at load. At least the hassle with the cooler seems to have paid off.

I'm glad I bought the mastercase since it made the build really easy and even saved my ass with the mistakes I made -> big thumbs up for CM!

Parts.JPG

Internals.JPG

PC.JPG

Nice, the only thing annoying me is that GPU cooler...arghhhhh..why is the cooler soooooo long...that horrible plastic to look at instead of a backplate or even a PCB...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Nice, the only thing annoying me is that GPU cooler...arghhhhh..why is the cooler soooooo long...that horrible plastic to look at instead of a backplate or even a PCB...

Yea tell me about it haha

I was sort of planning to get another 970 at some point, but for the aesthetics department a nice sexy 980ti would be better..

Just now, DaMainMan said:

Yea tell me about it haha

I was sort of planning to get another 970 at some point, but for the aesthetics department a nice sexy 980ti would be better..

Palit got a itx 970 and slapped a full size cooler on it...whyyyyyy?? xD

Good job on the cable management as well, you should see mine, it's a bird's nest...maybe that's why you shouldn't bother with a physical fan controller with 7 fans,2 AIOs and a bunch of LEDs running on Molex connectors...

Looks great! And i fount the mastercase to be really nice too, loads of room.

Cant you use the front bracket for the 3rd front fan to place the radiator higher and put the hd cage in the basement?

Just now, JorithZ said:

Looks great! And i fount the mastercase to be really nice too, loads of room.

Cant you use the front bracket for the 3rd front fan to place the radiator higher and put the hd cage in the basement?

That was actually my first though as well - but it seemed to me that the radiator wont go up high enough to completely clear the basement. In the instructions for the case it was suggested to mount the radiator the way I did... But without explaining where to put your drives :D

Will this help?

They mention offsetting the hard drive bays in the basement it seems it should work with how you've got it set up, but I've never personally seen the case so I may have missed something.

2 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

That was actually my first though as well - but it seemed to me that the radiator wont go up high enough to completely clear the basement. In the instructions for the case it was suggested to mount the radiator the way I did... But without explaining where to put your drives :D

Ah, thats a bit dissapointing, Would have thought it should have fit. Did you mobo fit right btw? I had some trouble getting the VIII hero to get into the right place.

1 minute ago, Praxis said:

Will this help?

They mention offsetting the hard drive bays in the basement it seems it should work with how you've got it set up, but I've never personally seen the case so I may have missed something.

Hey there - you seem to be onto somethig. Thanks!

I will update if it works out.

54 minutes ago, JorithZ said:

Ah, thats a bit dissapointing, Would have thought it should have fit. Did you mobo fit right btw? I had some trouble getting the VIII hero to get into the right place.

yea to mobo fit without any problem (well a little bit of shoving here and there). How didn't it fit?

23 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

yea to mobo fit without any problem (well a little bit of shoving here and there). How didn't it fit?

Not sure tbh, every time i got it into place, yeah i messed up a few times and had to take it all out, it was so much effort and scary scraping noises i was just happy it fit when it did. It did look like the IO shield was way too thick, but in the end i got it in there and it all works.

EDIT:

PS looks great with the disk there, never noticed the offset screw-hole either. Little jalous of how your tubes look, mine are a bit twisted around. 

Just now, JorithZ said:

Not sure tbh, every time i got it into place, yeah i messed up a few times and had to take it all out, it was so much effort and scary scraping noises i was just happy it fit when it did. It did look like the IO shield was way too thick, but in the end i got it in there and it all works.

Yea I know what you are talking about with the IO - I dont think a padding that thick is really neccessary...

On ‎06‎.‎03‎.‎2016 at 0:57 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

Good job on the cable management as well, you should see mine, it's a bird's nest...maybe that's why you shouldn't bother with a physical fan controller with 7 fans,2 AIOs and a bunch of LEDs running on Molex connectors...

Thanks! The case made it really easy - it felt like for every cable there was a perfect slot to route it through.

Just now, Fyfey96 said:

Really nice, build man :) but my OCD wouldn't let me have CPU block sideways like that. haha

lol at first it seemed like it was only going to fit upside down... thats when my OCD kicked in haha

Sideways was barely acceptable... Impossible to mount it straight though with the rad infront.