Should I get a 970?

laptopgeek
Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,

My sig can help you out.

I bought my PC from ebay last year, and it's ran most games fairly well. However, I'd like to play Just Cause 3 and the new Need For speed when it comes out. So, I looked online and found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NOP536Y?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p147_d18_i1 . I wouldn't usually look on Amazon, however I have £90 credit that I can put towards it. So, should I get it? Or should I get something else? I'd like to stick with Nvidea for the automatic game settings. I think that the maximum I'd like to spend is £190

Current specs:

AMD FX 8350

GTX 660ti

12gb Ram

if a 970ti would exist, yeah... :P

If I were you, I would wait for new gen GPU

to game or not to game, that`s the question

Yea, definitely a 970 to go with that FX. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I have an FX 8350 and a GTX 970, it works great in all games 1080p 60+ fps, but don't use the nvidia automatic game settings. Is better to understand a bit about game settings and do it yourself

The GTX 970 is not a good buy anymore. Wait untill june/july when the pascal cards are likely to launch. You dont want to get stuck with a GPU that has little DX12 support.

If you dont want to wait, AMD cards are actually the best option right now becuase they almost fully support DX12.

1 hour ago, nickspacemonkey said:

The GTX 970 is not a good buy anymore. Wait untill june/july when the pascal cards are likely to launch. You dont want to get stuck with a GPU that has little DX12 support.

If you dont want to wait, AMD cards are actually the best option right now becuase they almost fully support DX12.

I OP's case 970 is the better one. 

Also the thing about the DX12 support, neither cards support it fully. The 970 supports more features of DX12 but its mostly emulated. A 390 has hardware support but only up to 12_0  (970 is 12_1).

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I think I'll get the 970 then, mostly due to a few issues I've read about with AMD on JC3, although I still might change my mind. Thanks for the help so far

If you don't want to wait for Pascal or Polaris sometime in June-September, the 970 would be a solid upgrade. But with a 660 Ti I would lower settings and wait. The 660 Ti performs at right about the performance of a 760, it's still a reasonable 1080p gpu. I think the 970 is pretty overpriced right now (same for the 390). The 970 is a year and a half old and will be replaced in 3-6 months, and yet it's still selling at its launch price. I'd hold out for the Pascal 70 series or the Polaris 90 series. With such a large node shrink from 28 nm down to 16 nm for Pascal and some of Polaris, 14 nm for other Polaris, we could be looking at pretty serious performance gains based on past history with node shrinks.