Northbridge / Southbridge

stan92

1. What is a computers Northbridge and southbridge?
2. Does this have anything to do / work with the cpu? 

STOP MAKING A SEPARATE TOPIC FOR EVERY QUESTION THAT POPS INTO YOUR HEAD!

First off, google will answer all of these question, second, if you don't find an answer do it all one in topic, you're worse than anuplucifergamer. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

C'mon man, don't do that.

This community is supposed to be helpful.

Just responding "Google" isn't helpful at all

This community isn't supposed to spam either:

668f96bee68fb7f7ab28b969ebce4fce.png

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

The northbridge and south bridge are chipsets. They both have many functions, the northbridge usually primarily deals with the memory controller, therefore it relates heavily to the CPU in the sense that it makes sure the CPU gets instructions from RAM. The southbridge has a greater focus on dealing with SATA and PCI functions, so it doesn't involve the CPU as much

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

in simple terms...

northbridge is a chipset that use to be on motherboards just bellow the cpu area. It dealt with communcations between the cpu, memory and the southbridge as well as AGP and PCIe.

southbridge is a chipset that is still on motherboards today but i don't think people still call it that, anyway the southbridge manages onboard devices, I/O ports, SATA and stuff like that.

EDIT: You can easily find more information about this with a quick Google search, rather than have people type out and explain things on the forum.... the information you are looking for is probably already there you just need to find it.

northbridge is a chipset that use to be on motherboards just bellow the cpu area. It dealt with communcations between the cpu, memory and the southbridge as well as AGP and PCIe.

Wait, what is next to the cpu now then?

-------PLEASE JUST STOP!-------

.......ONE TOPIC AT A TIME!.......

PUT ALL YOUR QUESTIONS INTO ONE THREAD!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Wait, what is next to the cpu now then?

ah! i keep forgetting about AMD. Yes that will be the northbridge.

sorry, i was thinking about intel platforms and AMD APUs where the functions of the northbridge have now been integrated on the CPU.

ah! i keep forgetting about AMD. Yes that will be the northbridge.

sorry, i was thinking about intel platforms and AMD APUs where the functions of the northbridge have now been integrated on the CPU.

I still see beefy heatsinks near the cpu on intel mobo though?

Northbridge deals with the CPU Voltages and information flow, the southbridge deals with the PCI lanes, Onboard audio and the Sata Connections

Character artist in the Games industry.

I still see beefy heatsinks near the cpu on intel mobo though?

that's to cool the power delivery components

actually its to draw the power away from them to allow the cases airflow to cool them down.

its makes it more effective and make the components last longer

Character artist in the Games industry.

Ah I thought that since haswell chips have the voltage controllers built they wouldn't need that the stuff. Learn a little more everyday.