which is better?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. which is better?

• ATH M50x
    • v-moda XS
    • v-moda m-100
    • v-moda m-80
    • ATH m40x

which is the better headphone, disregarding price?

edited:
usage would be for; gaming , music (mainly rock and metal type of music), movies, and casual use
most likely not portable i will most likely grab a nice cheap IEM for that such as the xiaomi p3

I don't know much about the V-moda's, but the m50's are a very safe bet.

ASU

Are you asking which sound better or...cuz tbh there is a giant list of stuff you could consider. Also any particular reason your buying (just to listen to crap,making music,traveling etc)

While both of them are quite good, and I'm sure will get the job done, if I might throw out a suggestion. Take a look at the Beyer Dynamics Custom One Pros (There are a discontinued model and a new model) either model of them are great. I bough a pair of Custom One Pros 3 years ago and have absolutely not looked back. They are comfortable and the sound quality is spot on. However, if you have narrowed down your choices to the two listed above I would go with the m50x. They are great studio quality headphones that I am sure you will get years of use out of, not to mention Audio-Technica tends to back up there products.

M50x is almost never the best option.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Is this to be used as a portable set out and about or for gaming?

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

under further research i turned my attention towards the v-moda m-100 as opposed to the XS, still considering the m50x however though

//editing the poll to reflect as much

usage would be for; gaming , music (mainly rock and metal type of music), movies, and casual use
most likely not portable i will most likely grab a nice cheap IEM for that such as the xiaomi p3

V-Moda is definitely way too overkill for normal consumer use, the M50x is your best option if you don't want Beyerdynamic headphones. Beyerdynamic is best dynamic.

6 hours ago, dm199913 said:

V-Moda is definitely way too overkill for normal consumer use, the M50x is your best option if you don't want Beyerdynamic headphones. Beyerdynamic is best dynamic.

What?

That makes no sense.

Go with the m-100

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

7 hours ago, dm199913 said:

If that's the case he should stop at the Monoprice 8323, as $15 for a good set is instantly good for everyone....

EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

yea growing tired of the old cheapo $15~ headphones / earbuds, they are okay but generally break easy and sound quality is meh, its usable but i want something that will last and i will want to last.

my scope is pointing towards the v-moda m100's, is there any reason i should pick the m50x/m40x over it ?

keep in mind i do not do DJ'ing, sound recording, or anything of that sort. i just wish to better my personal listening experience, and after getting a taste of $30~ headphones ((theres even a notice difference between those and $10~ headphones)) i want to increase it more without breaking the bank

2 hours ago, KabuTheFox said:

yea growing tired of the old cheapo $15~ headphones / earbuds, they are okay but generally break easy and sound quality is meh, its usable but i want something that will last and i will want to last.

my scope is pointing towards the v-moda m100's, is there any reason i should pick the m50x/m40x over it ?

keep in mind i do not do DJ'ing, sound recording, or anything of that sort. i just wish to better my personal listening experience, and after getting a taste of $30~ headphones ((theres even a notice difference between those and $10~ headphones)) i want to increase it more without breaking the bank

Considering you want to use the set for gaming, if I was choosing between the M50X and the M-100, I would spend the little extra on the M-100 due to a larger soundstage. However, I would definitely and HIGHLY recommend also purchasing the VModa XL pads to go along with it (same with the M50X honestly, the stock pads are uncomfortable).

Other options to consider however would be the NVX XPT100 if keeping with closed sets. Keep in mind though you don't have to spend a lot to get good quality, as the Monoprice 8323 I mentioned earlier for $15 from monoprice.com is a hell of a headphone for the price and far better than the majority of what you would find at say Walmart.

13 hours ago, sobe said:

Considering you want to use the set for gaming, if I was choosing between the M50X and the M-100, I would spend the little extra on the M-100 due to a larger soundstage. However, I would definitely and HIGHLY recommend also purchasing the VModa XL pads to go along with it (same with the M50X honestly, the stock pads are uncomfortable).

Other options to consider however would be the NVX XPT100 if keeping with closed sets. Keep in mind though you don't have to spend a lot to get good quality, as the Monoprice 8323 I mentioned earlier for $15 from monoprice.com is a hell of a headphone for the price and far better than the majority of what you would find at say Walmart.

the stock ear pads do seem to get common complaints from reviewers , was going to try out the stock first and go from there . thank you for your replies and help.
ill definitely look into those 2 recommendations

Why are you limiting yourself to closed headphones that are probably more suited to portable use when you clearly don't need portability at all? Get a DT990 or a Fidelio X2, unless your home environment is noisy and you just haven't mentioned it, both these options are 'fun' since that seems to be the signature you want given the choices above.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

20 hours ago, Pomfinator said:

Why are you limiting yourself to closed headphones that are probably more suited to portable use when you clearly don't need portability at all? Get a DT990 or a Fidelio X2, unless your home environment is noisy and you just haven't mentioned it, both these options are 'fun' since that seems to be the signature you want given the choices above.

was not mentioned but i do plan to bring these to my work place (its a very repetitive job at a factory) and i also do not live alone and would like to not disturb those around me.