could have done better??

papapoi

hi everyone, this is what im putting together, its parts i already bought with some coming from my current pc, i would like some opinions on pricing and what you guys think about the overall build and any suggestions, my budget was 600 but i kinda blew it on that. i plan to overclock to about 4ghz only since its air cooled the case has about 5 fans built in so i think i could go higher but i want it to be a safe overclock. TIA

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/McNTXL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/McNTXL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $161.00) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper D92 54.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $82.22) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (Purchased For $29.68) 
Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $66.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  (Purchased For $166.60) 
Case: Apevia X-HERMES-BL ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $52.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $53.63) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full - USB (32/64-bit) 
Keyboard: Thermaltake Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Laser Mouse  (Purchased For $23.17) 
Total: $674.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-04 00:24 EST-0500

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

well it looks pretty good, but TBH i would have gotten a better PSU and an r9 380 but otherwise not too bad. Apart from not having an SSD (which can always be added) it looks like a beast. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 minute ago, Mohenjo said:

well it looks pretty good, but TBH i would have gotten a better PSU and an r9 380 but otherwise not too bad. Apart from not having an SSD (which can always be added) it looks like a beast. 

i was going to get a 750w psu and the gtx 960  is from my current pc but want to upgrade later to be vr ready, and i have a ssd in my current pc also which i was going to try to sell to offset the cost, thanks for the vote in confidence i cant wait to get the parts in next week

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

1 hour ago, papapoi said:

i was going to get a 750w psu and the gtx 960  is from my current pc but want to upgrade later to be vr ready, and i have a ssd in my current pc also which i was going to try to sell to offset the cost, thanks for the vote in confidence i cant wait to get the parts in next week

Better doesn't necessarily mean higher capacity with it comes to psu.

Why sell the ssd? Unless it is small, it would be a great boot & system drive in the new rig. Hybrid drives generally cannot match their performance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

Better doesn't necessarily mean higher capacity with it comes to psu.

Why sell the ssd? Unless it is small, it would be a great boot & system drive in the new rig. Hybrid drives generally cannot match their performance.

i was looking at the evga 750g1 80+ gold , idk if i would need it if i ever upgrade to a 980ti or r9 390 which needs more psu power, i figured the ssd would help sell my current pc which would be a dell optiplex 990 i5-2500@3.3ghz, 8gb ram, 120g ssd, 250gb HDD,  evga  gts 450 1gb(to replace the gtx 960), dvd rw, all in 1 card reader with 4 usb 3.0 , evga 500b 80+ bronze, i'd be happy to get $300 for it i think the ssd speed kinda helps the deal, idk if its better to part it out or not.