an affordable upgrade?

DigitalFlower
Go to solution Solved by FirstArmada,
21 hours ago, DigitalFlower said:

hi thank you for that! i will consider it, but i was saying about getting a complete new pc by the end of this year when i have the 500, since as of now i only have 200~$ that's why i asked if it was worth waiting for the new amd cpus, and on that first quote, i asked earlier if it would be better to just get a 200$ or so gpu since upgrading my cpu with the board i have is aparently not possible, i wish i could afford the 500$ build you linked me to right now, but i am a uni student with a part time job :/

R7 370 preforms as well in almost all titles only reason i would get the 950 is if power was a concern which it is not in this case as you have an adequate PSU save the 20 and spend it elsewhere

Hi! so i have this very old 1 GB HD 5670 and i want to upgrade but i don't have a lot of money to spend on a graphics card, any recomendations? i ocassionally play some games, that run fairly well on this old gpu, but for the new ones, it just isn't enough, i also need multiple monitor support since i do 3d design and i like to have my tools on one screen and the object in the other one. 

may i also ask about a cpu upgrade here? to avoid posting in the cpu sub?

thank you all!!

750ti

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

What are your current specs and what case do you have? 

We need to know every part to ensure we can recommend compatibly hardware. 

Just now, FirstArmada said:

Price range? PSU wattage? size restrictions? 

Hi! around 100 us dollars for the gpu, and another 100 for the cpu, i have a 550W psu, no size restrictions, thank you!

Just now, DigitalFlower said:

Hi! around 100 us dollars for the gpu, and another 100 for the cpu, i have a 550W psu, no size restrictions, thank you!

What is your current CPU ? and do you know your PSU wattage

7 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

What is your current CPU ? and do you know your PSU wattage

10 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

What are your current specs and what case do you have? 

We need to know every part to ensure we can recommend compatibly hardware. 

hi! these are my pc specs, i know it's old, that's why i want an upgrade, i don't really need ultra top of the line stuff for what i do so just want to upgrade to run more recent games and maybe a better cpu to improve my 3d rendering time. my PSU is 550W as i said before, thank you!

edit: my case is a thermaltake soprano rs.

thank you!

specs.png

2 minutes ago, DigitalFlower said:

hi! these are my pc specs, i know it's old, that's why i want an upgrade, i don't really need ultra top of the line stuff for what i do so just want to upgrade to run more recent games and maybe a better cpu to improve my 3d rendering time. my PSU is 550W as i said before, thank you!

specs.png

Is your mobo AM3 or AM3+ ?

as for the GPU if you can go with a R7 370 which with a rebate is only 118 and has twice the performance  of the 750 Ti it can run AAA games at medium to high settings at 1080P

3 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Is your mobo AM3 or AM3+ ?

as for the GPU if you can go with a R7 370 which with a rebate is only 118 and has twice the performance  of the 750 Ti it can run AAA games at medium to high settings at 1080P

hi! it is listed in the specs picture, and it is AM3.

thanks for the recomendation!

No problem for the CPU i would go with FX-8300 has 8 cores clocked at 3.3 Ghz with a good cooler could get it up to 4 Ghz with a tiny voltage increase again it is a tad over budget 20 dollars to be exact but comes with free shipping when purchased from newegg i believe 3D design and rendering benifet from more cores vs per core performance but dont quote me on that if that is the case i would go with the  FX 6300 which is around the same price as the 8300 but favors per core performance over more cores 

4 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

No problem for the CPU i would go with FX-8300 has 8 cores clocked at 3.3 Ghz with a good cooler could get it up to 4 Ghz with a tiny voltage increase again it is a tad over budget 20 dollars to be exact but comes with free shipping when purchased from newegg i believe 3D design and rendering benifet from more cores vs per core performance but dont quote me on that if that is the case i would go with the  FX 6300 which is around the same price as the 8300 but favors per core performance over more cores 

thanks! but are those FX cpus compatible with my board? i see the FX are AM3+ and my board is just AM3.

Yes AM3 and AM3+ are interchangeable , google the question for sources 

EDIT: Ahhh nvm scratch that AM3 is compatible with AM3+ mobos but AM3+ is not compatible with AM3 due to AM3+ CPUs having 1 extra pin in which case the CPU you have can not be upgraded for 100 i would recommend to to hold off on the CPU and wait until the new Zen architecture releases which should start showing up on shelves around H2 2016 and should all be release by Q1 2017

An FX 83** would be a small upgrade. Not worth the extra cash. If you get a good cooler you could get another 500mhz out your phenom chip. A cooler is portable and can be used on an intel chip If you decide to upgrade in the future.

As far as gpu goes. R7 360 for $80, R7 370 for $120, or GTX 950 for $130 in that order. 

1 hour ago, FirstArmada said:

Yes AM3 and AM3+ are interchangeable , google the question for sources 

EDIT: Ahhh nvm scratch that AM3 is compatible with AM3+ mobos but AM3+ is not compatible with AM3 due to AM3+ CPUs having 1 extra pin in which case the CPU you have can not be upgraded for 100 i would recommend to to hold off on the CPU and wait until the new Zen architecture releases which should start showing up on shelves around H2 2016 and should all be release by Q1 2017

56 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

An FX 83** would be a small upgrade. Not worth the extra cash. If you get a good cooler you could get another 500mhz out your phenom chip. A cooler is portable and can be used on an intel chip If you decide to upgrade in the future.

As far as gpu goes. R7 360 for $80, R7 370 for $120, or GTX 950 for $130 in that order. 

Hi! or what do you think? save those 200$ and wait for the zen architecture cpus to come out, or get a 200$ gpu? i could save like another 300$ by the end of the year and might get a better zen based pc?

thank you!

4 minutes ago, DigitalFlower said:

Hi! or what do you think? save those 200$ and wait for the zen architecture cpus to come out, or get a 200$ gpu? i could save like another 300$ by the end of the year and might get a better zen based pc?

thank you!

Zen won't run on your motherboard.

It depends on how happy you are playing the titles that work on your rig right now.

I would like to see what polaris/pascal can do. However if you can't run games that you want to play now, spring for a new GPU

1 minute ago, Sat1600 said:

Zen won't run on your motherboard.

It depends on how happy you are playing the titles that work on your rig right now.

I would like to see what polaris/pascal can do. However if you can't run games that you want to play now, spring dirty the new GPU

hi! yes, i know the new cpu wont be compatible with my board, but i think with 500$ i could get board, ram, cpu and gpu? i already have the case, the hdd, the psu and everything else, and maybe i could sell my parts and increase my budget a bit!

i enjoy playing those games, but i want to play some of the new ones as well, and my pc is like 5 years old now :/

13 minutes ago, DigitalFlower said:

hi! yes, i know the new cpu wont be compatible with my board, but i think with 500$ i could get board, ram, cpu and gpu? i already have the case, the hdd, the psu and everything else, and maybe i could sell my parts and increase my budget a bit!

i enjoy playing those games, but i want to play some of the new ones as well, and my pc is like 5 years old now :/

What is your psu. 550w doesn't mean much. A crappy brand psu at 550w could really be a 300w psu and a danger to use. 

4 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

What is your psu. 550w doesn't mean much. A crappy brand psu at 550w could really be a 300w psu and a danger to use. 

hi! it is a thermaltake one, i don't remember the exact model, but i think it came out in 2013? i replaced a 400w one  with this one, i don't think it is a bad psu, but i might be wrong?

thank you!

13 minutes ago, DigitalFlower said:

hi! it is a thermaltake one, i don't remember the exact model, but i think it came out in 2013? i replaced a 400w one  with this one, i don't think it is a bad psu, but i might be wrong?

thank you!

Here is a build under $500

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TjXpqs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TjXpqs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($33.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($139.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $488.51

I would change the psu though. Some thermeltakes are crap.

19 minutes ago, DigitalFlower said:

thank you!

Honestly though why not just change the psu and get a GTX 950 for your current build. If you try it and are not happy with performance you can upgrade the rest then

43 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Honestly though why not just change the psu and get a GTX 950 for your current build. If you try it and are not happy with performance you can upgrade the rest then

51 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Here is a build under $500

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TjXpqs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TjXpqs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($33.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($139.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $488.51

I would change the psu though. Some thermeltakes are crap.

hi thank you for that! i will consider it, but i was saying about getting a complete new pc by the end of this year when i have the 500, since as of now i only have 200~$ that's why i asked if it was worth waiting for the new amd cpus, and on that first quote, i asked earlier if it would be better to just get a 200$ or so gpu since upgrading my cpu with the board i have is aparently not possible, i wish i could afford the 500$ build you linked me to right now, but i am a uni student with a part time job :/

21 hours ago, DigitalFlower said:

R7 370 preforms as well in almost all titles only reason i would get the 950 is if power was a concern which it is not in this case as you have an adequate PSU save the 20 and spend it elsewhere

16 hours ago, FirstArmada said:

thank you! that's what i will get then, probably next year a complete upgrade to zen!

thank you all for your replies!!

1 hour ago, DigitalFlower said:

thank you! that's what i will get then, probably next year a complete upgrade to zen!

thank you all for your replies!!

No problem :)

Also a new system inst completely necessary a new mobo and CPU would suffice for your needs