Minecraft Port Forwarding Help

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

if you have a router between your PC and the modem then you need to port forward both the router and the modem

there needs to be a linked chain between the PC and the isp modem, the thing that takes cable or phone line and turns it into ethernet

the easiest way is to not use any routers and connect the PC directly to the modem and just port forward the modem

EDIT: Just for the record I've probably misused the terms "router" and "modem" quite a lot in this post. To be clear, my MODEM is a Hitron CGN3ACSMR provided by Rogers, my ISP. My ROUTER is an Asus RT-N66U.

I want to host a private Minecraft server for me and a friend. I've set up the server on my secondary machine, I can connect to it just fine in the local network. The server works.

The issue arises when I did the "basic" steps of port forwarding, and my friend simply can't connect. I asked them to ping my IP with the forwarded port, and it doesn't reach. No connection could be established between our two machines.

The frustrating part is that I've hosted about a million servers ranging from FTP to Teamspeak at this point all without an issue, and then we upgrade to the Asus RT-N66U for some good QoS functionality, and I realize none of the ports I tried forwarding through it worked!

Of course I Googled and troubleshooted everything I could think of.

I disabled Windows firewall, disabled my router's firewall, turned off Netlimiter and its service, disabled AVG, double and triple checked the default port I was forwarding (25565 for MC server) to my secondary machine's local IP (192.168.1.160), made MC server use a different port and forwarded that.

I EVEN F***ING ENABLED DMZ TOWARDS MY SERVER WITH NO LUCK.

Literally none of it worked.

Now I ask you, do you have my router, the Asus RT-N66U? Have you successfully port forwarded something? Please do let me know how you did it. I can post some screenshots if anyone thinks they could be useful.

Do a brotha really gotta use Hamachi or dare I even mention Tunngle? Is that what the world's come to? No one deserves Hamachi or Tunngle. No one. I REALLY don't want to resort to Hamachi or Tunngle.

And yes I've used one of those condescending "easy port forwarding" tools that are basically a glorified auto-hotkey script. No it didn't work either.

if you have a router between your PC and the modem then you need to port forward both the router and the modem

there needs to be a linked chain between the PC and the isp modem, the thing that takes cable or phone line and turns it into ethernet

the easiest way is to not use any routers and connect the PC directly to the modem and just port forward the modem

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This might sound stupid, but are you sure you're giving your friend the right IP address? You can verify that by visiting a site like IPLocation.net. It'll by default display your IP address. Simple thing to check.

What modem are you using between the router and Internet? If the modem is also a router (seems most are that are provided by ISPs), it's likely blocking any port forwarding you're doing. If it has only 1 Ethernet port on the back, you have a modem and not a router. If it has multiple Ethernet ports, it's a router as well (sounds likely), meaning you'll need to either set the Asus router as a DMZ on your network, or you'll have to duplicate your port forwarding on both.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

36 minutes ago, brandishwar said:

This might sound stupid, but are you sure you're giving your friend the right IP address? You can verify that by visiting a site like IPLocation.net. It'll by default display your IP address. Simple thing to check.

What modem are you using between the router and Internet? If the modem is also a router (seems most are that are provided by ISPs), it's likely blocking any port forwarding you're doing. If it has only 1 Ethernet port on the back, you have a modem and not a router. If it has multiple Ethernet ports, it's a router as well (sounds likely), meaning you'll need to either set the Asus

router as a DMZ on your network, or you'll have to duplicate your port forwarding on both.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank you two very much! It was indeed just an issue with the wiring of the modem and router. I hooked up my server directly to my ISP router/modem and use its port forwarding measures and it worked just like that. Thanks again!