3D Printer: Custom or Built? Cheaper?

I am looking into getting into 3D printing but I'm not sure what to get to start. I am quite a tinkerer so building my own is right up alley. Is it cheaper to build your own? I'm fine with difficulty as long as it doesn't require extensive programming (I know Java and a little bit of a few other languages but otherwise I'm still learning). I know that 3D printers have been getting cheaper so I wasn't sure if it was a better idea to buy one now of days. Ideas?

My project is kinda on hold right now, but I am making my own printer for REALLY CHEAP. But I would reccomend starting off with something like the Twoup 3D printer, learn how they work, and then build a new one from the parts. This is what I did.

16 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I'd get a printrbot kit if you're on a budget, but #ultimakermasterrace

When I'm out of school I plan on investing in an ultimaker but until then it's budget! Budget! Budget!

7 hours ago, Johnmakuta said:

When I'm out of school I plan on investing in an ultimaker but until then it's budget! Budget! Budget!

the TIKO? what about a printrbot play? Also its totally worth it to get an ultimaker kit, but it would be easier just to get a 2+

ASU

On March 4, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Hackentosher said:

the TIKO? what about a printrbot play? Also its totally worth it to get an ultimaker kit, but it would be easier just to get a 2+

Is the TIKO really just as good as something like a M3D or a Printrbot? Are they all standardized? Do I have to use any specific software for any of them?

5 hours ago, Johnmakuta said:

Is the TIKO really just as good as something like a M3D or a Printrbot? Are they all standardized? Do I have to use any specific software for any of them?

I don't know much about the TIKO, all I know from the kick starter is it's an enclosed delta style printer that costs about 170. From what I hear about the M3D,  it's a cheap toy. Printrbot is the way to go. As for universal software, if the printer accepts gcode for instructions, Cura is the way to go.  It's open source and developed by ultimaker. Tis some good stuff. 

ASU