April 2016 Build w/ peripherals reccomendation

Kidlat

Hi I am planning a new build this spring and I have a $2000 CAD budget,

Goal: Gaming mostly minimum of 60fps in medium to high settings
when: This April 2016

Why:  Doing research for a friend who is a first time pc gamer so maybe skip the overclocking

So I was thinking of an intel i5 4670 with a gtx 970 to match but I am still struggling which motherboard to choose,

we will not be overclocking but it has to be optimized for gaming. would a 600w power supply work for it? again he is a first time gamer/build so 

I don't think we will be doing SLI in the near future.

on the $2000cad budget will include the OS and peripherals (1080p monitor, keyboard/mouse, headphones/speakers)

17 minutes ago, Kidlat said:

Hi I am planning a new build this spring and I have a $2000 CAD budget,

also AMD might launch part of the 400 series around that time so look out for that

otherwise, below is going to be fine, the 390 is faster overall than the 970 and looks to better support DX12/Vulkan, as well as saving money on free-sync vs G-sync

put the rest towards a 4k display or a nice chair and you're golden.

*I imaged to fit in a 4K IPS free-sync display into the budget, an i5 will be fine for gaming, by investing in the 4k display now you basically never have to buy another display again, and since you were going to run games at 1080p anyways, you're better off running them 1080p on a 4k display. of course a bit larger 4k display would be preferred for productivity.

As far as peripherals go, Try the Utech Saturn Keyboard, and M601 Redragon Mouse, cheap chinese stuff can't be beat.

Also don't buy a grey market windows key if you're trying to save money, it may have been purchased illegally in rare cases, and may be revoked at any time.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FqY87P
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FqY87P/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.95 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($427.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($107.38 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: LG 27MU67 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($588.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1810.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-03 04:57 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Careful there, I run a 970 with a 4k display and its far from golden in a lot of games. I'll be upgrading to flagship pascal depending on benchmarks because of this. 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

3 minutes ago, Van Weapon said:

Careful there, I run a 970 with a 4k display and its far from golden in a lot of games. I'll be upgrading to flagship pascal depending on benchmarks because of this. 

Well ya, it'll handle like CS:GO/LoL/Dota 2 and indie games at 4k, but any AAA probably won't run, however you can just drop the resolution to 1080p and be perfectly fine.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/rs6P23

Heres my take, includes monitor (144hz), mech keyboard, good mouse, and OS

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($251.15 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.00 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Asus H170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($171.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($49.99 @ NCIX) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($58.00 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($449.90 @ Vuugo) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.05 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($110.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($126.00 @ shopRBC) 
Monitor: AOC G2460PQU 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($339.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($98.70 @ DirectCanada) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse  ($58.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $2029.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-03 05:00 EST-0500

The benefit of going 970 @ 1080 is that its very well future proofed, and as a first time PC gamer, the higher frames and smooth maxed out gameplay will be a better experience than all the tweaking you'll have to do running higher resolutions.  

The motherboard doesn't matter much if you're not overclocking, so long as it's compatible with your CPU of choice and you're happy with the I/O it offers, just to be safe probably try and stay away from B class boards, but H class should be fine. The only tangible benefits for Z are the overclocking support 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well ya, it'll handle like CS:GO/LoL/Dota 2 and indie games at 4k, but any AAA probably won't run, however you can just drop the resolution to 1080p and be perfectly fine.

Much better off with a 144hz monitor instead of 4k unless he had a 390x or better

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Unless you run windowed, downres looks like a potato. Its like windows scaling but in reverse 

PSU Rankings

3 minutes ago, BaileyFY said:

Much better off with a 144hz monitor instead of 4k unless he had a 390x or better

That would be another option, though for $20 more you can get a free-sync version of that display at $359

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

so better off with the 390

but 4k is going to give you a better desktop experience overall, granted window's scaling can suck, but like I said, you're not going to have to replace a 4K display anytime soon, and the GPUs to power 4k gaming are only ever going to get cheaper over time.

2 minutes ago, Van Weapon said:

Unless you run windowed, downres looks like a potato. Its like windows scaling but in reverse 

1080p scales perfectly with 4k though

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

also AMD might launch part of the 400 series around that time so look out for that

otherwise, below is going to be fine, the 390 is faster overall than the 970 and looks to better support DX12/Vulkan, as well as saving money on free-sync vs G-sync

*I imaged to fit in a 4K IPS free-sync display into the budget, an i5 will be fine for gaming, by investing in the 4k display now you basically never have to buy another display again, and since you were going to run games at 1080p anyways, you're better off running them 1080p on a 4k display. of course a bit larger 4k display would be preferred for productivity.

As far as peripherals go, Try the Utech Saturn Keyboard, and M601 Redragon Mouse, cheap chinese stuff can't be beat.

Also don't buy a grey market windows key if you're trying to save money, it may have been purchased illegally in rare cases, and may be revoked at any time.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FqY87P
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FqY87P/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.95 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($427.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($42.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($107.38 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: LG 27MU67 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($588.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1810.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-03 04:57 EST-0500

1. only need a i5 - 6400

2. motherboard is lacking in rear i/o

3. 8gb of ram is fine for now

4. core 1000 is not very good for this price range

5. monitor is only 60hz should go 144

6. grey market windows is not worth imo

7. cheap peripherals is a terrible idea everyone should use a mech and a good optical mouse

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

1080p scales perfectly with 4k though

It scales the same way you can fullscreen a 480p youtube video on a 1080p display. The dimensions are right but because of the rendered pixel count per physical pixel, it looks much worse than just running at native display resolution 

PSU Rankings

Just now, Van Weapon said:

It scales the same way you can fullscreen a 480p youtube video on a 1080p display. The dimensions are right but because of the rendered pixel count per physical pixel, it looks much worse than just running at native display resolution 

Except 1080p is exactly 1/4 of 4k so it scales better but like  you say the image takes on a really grainy quality

1 minute ago, BaileyFY said:

1. only need a i5 - 6400

2. motherboard is lacking in rear i/o

3. 8gb of ram is fine for now

4. core 1000 is not very good for this price range

5. monitor is only 60hz should go 144

6. grey market windows is not worth imo

7. cheap peripherals is a terrible idea everyone should use a mech and a good optical mouse

well 1. I'd rather be stuck at 3.6ghz turbo over 3.2ghz

the motherboard has USB 3.1 and Type C in addition to DVI, HDMI, and VGA

the 16gbs of RAM was left over from the i7 version

core 1000 is fine, there's room in the budget anyways to upgrade

monitor is 4K IPS and Free-sync

I play dota/cs;go fairly well using cheap Chinese stuff as well as many Chinese dota players, really there's not too much difference over using an M601 vs a Deathadder, the Sensor's lift off distance on the Deathadder is just a bit better, and I don't find mechanical keyboards to really be worth the money over buying better hardware or such.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Van Weapon said:

4k gives you exactly 4 pixels per 1080p pixel since it's a doubling, it's not like 1080p to 1440p, or 480 to 1080p

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

well 1. I'd rather be stuck at 3.6ghz turbo over 3.2ghz

the motherboard has USB 3.1 and Type C in addition to DVI, HDMI, and VGA

the 16gbs of RAM was left over from the i7 version

core 1000 is fine, there's room in the budget anyways to upgrade

monitor is 4K IPS and Free-sync

I play dota/cs;go fairly well using cheap Chinese stuff as well as many Chinese dota players, really there's not too much difference over using an M601 vs a Deathadder, the Sensor's lift off distance on the Deathadder is just a bit better, and I don't find mechanical keyboards to really be worth the money over buying better hardware or such.

4K is just not worth it in mid/high gpu range right now games are getting harder to run faster than hardware is improving and soon op will be running everything in grainy 1080p. 

Input devices are very important to the user experience if you invested in a mechanical keyboard you might not improve but comfort and ux is vastly better along with a far longer life span.

No one has usb c stuff and it won't be very common for some time it's far better to have more usb 3 ports at this time. 

144hz 1080 > 4K 60 the free sync option is alright though if op can squeeze it in (I can see who's on team red haha ;) ) 

op will be hard pressed to notice a difference between any i5 currently available barring the 6600k