Very slow write speeds SSD

30 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

This is some poor logic. Hard drives can have problems that disallow it to function properly. SMART doesn't tell you everything for any drive, and I've been using Windows on my Intel SSD just fine.

Your logic doesn't hold, and it seems like you have something against SSDs and automatically blame the drive for the issue, which is not proper testing at all. Stop spreading the concept that hard drives are the end-all-be-all with regards to function. Hard drives can have problems, and sometimes be inconsistent at the same time.

Also, as a side note, we use SSDs in the military electronics I inspect because they're objectively better.

I wasn't complete on my post and for that I appologize

the problem I "have" (exists) is with consumer grade products and specifically with TLC NAND based SSDs and the small process nodes manufacturers use - this was broadly documented and discussed since TLC was 1st introduced to market and followed with the SAMSUNG 840 series debacle

as for military grade SSDs, I doubt you'll find planar TLC NAND, less than 20nm, in them anytime soon ;)

in short, all NAND memory suffers from cell voltage drift in various conditions; and consumer grade products are the most affected by it

it is absolutely amazing how NAND manufacturers and OEMs are still selling this type on NAND SSDs with chips manufactured under 20nm - they're just selling shit to unexpecting consumers

and it's quite unbelievable how HW reviewers have never touched on SSD testing over time

1 hour ago, Sentryy said:

Your SSD seems to be more read oriented where mine is more write oriented which makes sense, As mine is a SSD that is used by camera people which needs fast write speeds and yours is made for gaming which the only advantage you will get is faster load times and fast write speeds are not as necessary. 

Except it was faster at random writes... but slower at sequential writes... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

[removed]

Now let me ask you this: Is something that is going to realistically affect the end-customer?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

34 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are you shitting me?! :o

what part of this isn't affecting the consumer?!

840%20EVO%20512%20test%20hdtach-2-.png

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Samsung-840-840-EVO-susceptible-flash-read-speed-degradation-over-time

I was mainly asking so you would provide some evidence. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 3/1/2016 at 8:50 PM, zMeul said:

if the drive starts behaving erratically, you can move the folders and files to a  HDD, do a secure erase and put the stuff back - doing this with the OS drive is not that simple

If the SSD starts behaving erratically, you can [backup your user folder and anything else that definitely needs to be backed up], do a secure erase and [reinstall Windows with a USB or your disk and then] put stuff back.

It's not hard, just a tiny bit long-whinded.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

34 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I was mainly asking so you would provide some evidence. 

you would've needed just to google around :dry:

5 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Now let me ask you this: Is something that is going to realistically affect the end-customer?

It's not simple as that, which you already know. If this truly was a significant industry wide issue that was actually effecting customers and in an actual impactful way then we would all know about it and would have generated many many news articles about it.

The actual evidence supplied by @zMeul is not enough to be statistically significant beyond that one product, which was fixed and I am still happily using in one of my laptops for a few years. One sample point does not indicate an issue as a whole.

As consumers we get to decide how much we are willing to spend on a product and which product tier to buy in. If you don't want to use TLC based SSD's then don't, buy MLC or eMLC. In my laptops I use 840/850 EVO's, my desktop 840 PRO's and in my servers 850 PRO's.

@zMeul Now I realize we both have each other ignored so you may not read this but for the benefit of anyone else I'll address the 'cell voltage drift' you mentioned. This is completely normal behavior for a SSD, especially low end consumer models. What you are seeing is the after effects of wear leveling and garbage collection, this is not anything cell voltage related.

SSD's in reality do not perform anywhere near the quoted specifications, server SSD specifications list true long term performance. You will only get the very high throughput and large IOPs for moderate periods of time before the RAM cache is exhausted and writes to the NAND cells exceeds the amount for when wear leveling must kick in, after this performance drops consistently and sharply. A normal laptop user would never hit this on a product like a Samsung EVO since the drive will go idle and the SSD firmware does it's garbage collection and wear leveling before any more writes.

If storage reviewers conducted their testing of consumer SSD's like they do with the server products you would get to see the actual performance of the SSD but since that type of usage profile does not exist in a typical gaming desktop the results would not be relevant to the prospective buyers invalidating the whole review.

Constantly running benchmarks on the SSD is only exacerbating the perceived issue.

As for tech reviewers not doing any long term testing of SSD's that is not quite true, one I know of has. Google and Facebook have also done large scale testing and research in to SSD's and released their results recently. The main issue is that SSD's have not been around long enough to do this testing and the technology is changing so rapidly the results would be irrelevant.

The bottom line is that when I've talked to Pre-Sales Engineers and Product Managers from the likes of Netapp, EMC, HP, Dell etc none of them have ever expressed any concerns about SSD's across both server product lines and desktop/laptops product lines. None of them have had any major support issues or recalls due to SSD's either, which means they are all doing their jobs correctly and identifying the best and most appropriate product for the intended purpose.

I have been on the receiving end of a bad batch of HP 8300 Elite SFF motherboards where a manufacturing fault caused 150 of them to fail, after they had been deployed to the users, which caused an HP product recall. In the grand scheme of things the Samsung 840 EVO issue is nothing, far worse has happened with new and emerging technology.

2 hours ago, Crowes said:

If the SSD starts behaving erratically, you can [backup your user folder and anything else that definitely needs to be backed up], do a secure erase and [reinstall Windows with a USB or your disk and then] put stuff back.

It's not hard, just a tiny bit long-whinded.

You can also use the Microsoft User State Migration Tool (USMT) which can backup all you files, profile and settings which you can then apply after reinstalling Windows. This will put back not only your data but also any customizations and saved form passwords for applications and browsers.

This helps solve the long winded problem.