GPU Running Hot At Idle

Go to solution Solved by MissFangs,

Just an update, I uninstalled Internet Explorer and so far my GPU clock hasn't spiked. Just as a precaution, I'm running a scan with Malwarebytes to see if it finds anything... 

Thanks everyone for the help!

I noticed this morning that my fans, even while the computer was, "Sleeping" were all on high. I have a custom fan curve that only allows the fans to run higher than 25% if the GPU gets hotter than 45c, which it never does at idle. After opening my computer I realized my memory clock was at a stable 909MHZ rather than its usual 300MHz idle, and it was running stable at 60c. When I opened my task manager I realized internet explorer - a program that I do not and will not ever use - was open, and consuming 116,000 K of my memory. As soon as I closed it, my memory clock dropped to 300MHz once more.

Problem is, Internet explorer keeps opening back up without my permission and continues to ascend to the top. On top of that, my memory clock goes from 300MHz to 345MHz even when its near the bottom.

I'm going to restart my computer and see if that helps, but in the meantime - any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Intel i9 9900k @ 4.00GHz // NZXT Kraken Z53 // MSI Z390-A PRO // Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 // EVGA RTX 3080 Ti // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 // Crucial MX500 500GB x5 // Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive x2 // Seagate BarraCuda 4TB HDD x2 // NZXT S340 Elite Tempered Glass Mid Tower //

A restart is probably your best bet, to be honest.  Maybe run some diagnostics.  If it is an old video card and the problem persists it might be worth a try to replace the thermal compound and thermal pads on the chip and vrams.  Can I ask what GPU you have?

8 minutes ago, GrobfootGaming said:

A restart is probably your best bet, to be honest.  Maybe run some diagnostics.  If it is an old video card and the problem persists it might be worth a try to replace the thermal compound and thermal pads on the chip and vrams.  Can I ask what GPU you have?

I have the R9 290, it's less than 8 months old. I highly doubt it's the GPU, though I won't rule it out. I'm tempted to blame whatever program is running my temp up in the first place, as it immediately goes down after closing internet explorer in my task manager.

Intel i9 9900k @ 4.00GHz // NZXT Kraken Z53 // MSI Z390-A PRO // Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 // EVGA RTX 3080 Ti // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 // Crucial MX500 500GB x5 // Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive x2 // Seagate BarraCuda 4TB HDD x2 // NZXT S340 Elite Tempered Glass Mid Tower //

Internet Explorer randomly opening? GPU randomly at work? Could be malware... But it could also be a corrupted bios/driver or a driver or program trying to update itself. I had a somewhat similar issue with a GPU driver once. Maybe a clean driver installation can fix this. If not, just do a clean Windows installation and you should be good no matter what.

Just now, black0utm1rage said:

Internet Explorer randomly opening? GPU randomly at work? Could be malware... But it could also be a corrupted bios/driver or a driver or program trying to update itself. I had a somewhat similar issue with a GPU driver once. Maybe a clean driver installation can fix this. If not, just do a clean Windows installation.

I'd rather not do a fresh windows install, though I know I may be due for one anyways. I did find a program called "MaxFind" which randomly appeared after I installed a program yesterday...

Should I trust microsoft security essentials when it says it's found something, and wants to clean my PC? I don't want it deleting anything I don't give it the consent to.

5 minutes ago, MissFangs said:

I'd rather not do a fresh windows install, though I know I may be due for one anyways. I did find a program called "MaxFind" which randomly appeared after I installed a program yesterday...

OK I get you, a clean installation might be your best bet, but you could just reset your system to the point before the installation of the mentioned program. A back-up should have been created automatically. Or just manually remove this MaxFind program.

6 minutes ago, MissFangs said:

I have the R9 290, it's less than 8 months old. I highly doubt it's the GPU, though I won't rule it out. I'm tempted to blame whatever program is running my temp up in the first place, as it immediately goes down after closing internet explorer in my task manager.

Well I would bet that it isn't the GPU then.  That Internet Explorer thing is really weird.  Try getting a malware sweep program like Malwarebytes or something.  Also Microsoft Security Essentials is a good program and I've used it a lot in the past.  If it tells you it found something that needs to be removed, I would remove it. 

Just now, black0utm1rage said:

OK I get you, a clean installation might be your best bet, but you could just reset your system to the point before the installation of the mentioned program. A back-up should have been created automatically. 

I wish my internet was better, otherwise I'd jump on board with a clean install. When you have 1TB worth of games on your hard drive and a 1mb/s internet speed, you tend to get attached... 

How would I go about resetting it to a point before that installation? It's also worth mentioning I do daily backups, so I'm not worried about losing any data.

3 minutes ago, GrobfootGaming said:

Well I would bet that it isn't the GPU then.  That Internet Explorer thing is really weird.  Try getting a malware sweep program like Malwarebytes or something.  Also Microsoft Security Essentials is a good program and I've used it a lot in the past.  If it tells you it found something that needs to be removed, I would remove it. 

I might have it remove whatever its found, then. I've just uninstalled internet explorer, and I'm going to restart my computer so I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Run Malwarebytes

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, MissFangs said:

I wish my internet was better, otherwise I'd jump on board with a clean install. When you have 1TB worth of games on your hard drive and a 1mb/s internet speed, you tend to get attached... 

How would I go about resetting it to a point before that installation? It's also worth mentioning I do daily backups, so I'm not worried about losing any data.

OK right. Then you just go to the built-in backup manager and reset your system to a point in time before the problem occured. I'm sorry that I can't provide a full guide right this second but I'm sure the other guys around here are willing to help. :-)

8 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

OK right. Then you just go to the built-in backup manager and reset your system to a point in time before the problem occured. I'm sorry that I can't provide a full guide right this second but I'm sure the other guys around here are willing to help. :-)

Don't worry about it. Thanks for your help! I'll update the forum with my results...

Just an update, I uninstalled Internet Explorer and so far my GPU clock hasn't spiked. Just as a precaution, I'm running a scan with Malwarebytes to see if it finds anything... 

Thanks everyone for the help!

14 minutes ago, max_headroom said:

R9 290 running hot?

That's like wondering if a politician lies.

Most aftermarket 290s weren't hot

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

On 2.3.2016 at 4:34 PM, MissFangs said:

I'll update the forum with my results...

Hey! So I was wondering if your problems are gone by now. If so, what did you do to fix them?