Ethernet Splitter?

bart69132

Im looking to get an ethernet cable that slits into 2 so that i can have my pc and ps4 plugged in at the same time?

I won't be using them at the same time, its just so i don't need to unplug and plug in all the time because the cable i have is slowly breaking

It doesn't work like that. You need a network switch to put between your devices and you router/modem.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

2 minutes ago, bart69132 said:

Im looking to get an ethernet cable that slits into 2 so that i can have my pc and ps4 plugged in at the same time?

I won't be using them at the same time, its just so i don't need to unplug and plug in all the time because the cable i have is slowly breaking

Get something like this the plug into your modem and bring the cables where you need them

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

6 minutes ago, bmuskett9920 said:

I have a port in my room that my Ethernet goes into, so would i plug it into that then into the splitter, then i can just put my ps4 and pc into that? Also, is there a different one that supports 300mb/s, because i get about 140mb/s download

1 minute ago, bart69132 said:

I have a port in my room that my Ethernet goes into, so would i plug it into that then into the splitter, then i can just put my ps4 and pc into that? Also, is there a different one that supports 300mb/s, because i get about 140mb/s download

yea you can get a gigabit ethernet switch, you should then be covered with 10/100/1000 Mbps

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

There's another option, a normal Ethernet cable is gigabit, and carries two 100 megabits signals, if you don't need gigabit, you can actually split the cable with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200340&cm_re=ethernet_splitter-_-12-200-340-_-Product , however like it was said above a switch is a much better solution.

1 hour ago, jnvqc said:

There's another option, a normal Ethernet cable is gigabit, and carries two 100 megabits signals, if you don't need gigabit, you can actually split the cable with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200340&cm_re=ethernet_splitter-_-12-200-340-_-Product , however like it was said above a switch is a much better solution.

In order to use a 4 pair ethernet cable as two two pair ethernet cables each capable of 100Mb full duplex, you have to have an adaptor at both ends, or wire up connectors on each end. Based on the OP's description, it sounds like he only has one ethernet line / jack in his wall. He would need to have access to the other end of the line to install the matching adaptor on that end.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

4 hours ago, bart69132 said:

I don't see why not. Seems pretty good.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

8 minutes ago, Howlingwolf101 said:

I don't see why not. Seems pretty good.

Do you know any good quality ethernet cables for less than <£10, i need two of them

Do as everyone is suggesting and get a basic, unmanaged 10/100/1000 switch. A cheap one will do.

As for a good quality Ethernet cable, look on Amazon or whatever and find one with good reviews. Ethernet cables are cheap. Finding a good one for under £10 should be pretty easy (but I don't live in the UK so I wouldn't know)

12 minutes ago, Daring said:

Do as everyone is suggesting and get a basic, unmanaged 10/100/1000 switch. A cheap one will do.

As for a good quality Ethernet cable, look on Amazon or whatever and find one with good reviews. Ethernet cables are cheap. Finding a good one for under £10 should be pretty easy (but I don't live in the UK so I wouldn't know)

unmanaged 10/100/1000 switch + a decent ethernet cable, will i get cat6 or cat 5e?

25 minutes ago, bart69132 said:

unmanaged 10/100/1000 switch + a decent ethernet cable, will i get cat6 or cat 5e?

Cat6 and Cat5e are both gigabit-capable, but Cat5e should be fine if you're not looking into 10 gigabit Ethernet. Although, keep in mind that Cat5e has a slightly higher delay than Cat6, which may make Cat5e appear slower.

If you don't care, get Cat5e. If you do, Cat6.

1 hour ago, Daring said:

Cat6 and Cat5e are both gigabit-capable, but Cat5e should be fine if you're not looking into 10 gigabit Ethernet. Although, keep in mind that Cat5e has a slightly higher delay than Cat6, which may make Cat5e appear slower.

If you don't care, get Cat5e. If you do, Cat6.

where have you seen /  heard that Cat5e, or any cable for that matter, increases delay? The speed of data in a wire travels at the speed of light in copper which is somewhere around 2/3 the speed of light through a vacuum IIRC. In other words a voltage change entering one end of a wire (which is how data is sent) reaches the other end of the wire almost instantly later (time = length / speed of light in copper, which for any normal length cable is basically instant in human terms). A Cat5e and a Cat6 cable of the same length have the same propagation delay. the only possible difference would be at higher switching speeds, like trying to use a Cat5e cable for 10GbE, where the lower specification wire may cause packets to have to be retransmitted. But the wire itself does not introduce any delay.

5 minutes ago, brwainer said:

where have you seen /  heard that Cat5e, or any cable for that matter, increases delay? The speed of data in a wire travels at the speed of light in copper which is somewhere around 2/3 the speed of light through a vacuum IIRC. In other words a voltage change entering one end of a wire (which is how data is sent) reaches the other end of the wire almost instantly later (time = length / speed of light in copper, which for any normal length cable is basically instant in human terms). A Cat5e and a Cat6 cable of the same length have the same propagation delay. the only possible difference would be at higher switching speeds, like trying to use a Cat5e cable for 10GbE, where the lower specification wire may cause packets to have to be retransmitted. But the wire itself does not introduce any delay.

You're right. Maybe I wasn't using a great source for that statement. Oh well.

11 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

It doesn't work like that. You need a network switch to put between your devices and you router/modem.

Actually it does work like that - just look up network hubs - they work the same as a 2 port splitter. However there is a reason we don't use them anymore - because of the electrical design of a hub/splitter, you ended up with the colision domains = to the number of ports. Meaning that if once device was broadcasting while another was attempting to, you'd have a packet collision resulting in a null route.

Ethernet switches seperate the collison domains whereby each port has its own collision domain with the client it's connected to. This means that all ports can operate independantly of eachother.

You may have also heard of a similar term; broadcast domain however that is unrelated as it is to do with the destination addressing of packets.

29 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Actually it does work like that - just look up network hubs - they work the same as a 2 port splitter. However there is a reason we don't use them anymore - because of the electrical design of a hub/splitter, you ended up with the colision domains = to the number of ports. Meaning that if once device was broadcasting while another was attempting to, you'd have a packet collision resulting in a null route.

Ethernet switches seperate the collison domains whereby each port has its own collision domain with the client it's connected to. This means that all ports can operate independantly of eachother.

You may have also heard of a similar term; broadcast domain however that is unrelated as it is to do with the destination addressing of packets.

I actually know how switches, hubs, and routers work as I am currently studying network security.

From the way he phrased his original post I strongly got the impression that he was talking about a simple Y cable that has one connector on one end, and two connectors on the other end, and I was letting him know that you can't have a split (Y) Ethernet cable like you can a split audio/video cable. If he didn't mean a Y cable in his question then he needs to phrase it better. 

But I thank you for your condescending response.

END OF LINE

8 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

I actually know how switches, hubs, and routers work as I am currently studying network security.

From the way he phrased his original post I strongly got the impression that he was talking about a simple Y cable that has one connector on one end, and two connectors on the other end, and I was letting him know that you can't have a split (Y) Ethernet cable like you can a split audio/video cable. If he didn't mean a Y cable in his question then he needs to phrase it better.

You can have a hub as a Y cable though..

8 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

But I thank you for your condescending response.

Didn't mean for it to come across like that.

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

You can have a hub as a Y cable though..

Obviously you know something that I have yet to learn in class? (I'm finishing up my basic level courses) 

How do you going to avoid packet collision when both devices are sharing one port and trying to talk on the network but they cant directly talk to each other to make sure they aren't trying to talk at the same time? 

END OF LINE

7 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

Obviously you know something that I have yet to learn in class? (I'm finishing up my basic level courses) 

How do you going to avoid packet collision when both devices are sharing one port and trying to talk on the network but they cant directly talk to each other to make sure they aren't trying to talk at the same time? 

It's still regarded as a hub - just in a smaller Y form factor for 2 ports. You're correct in that a splitter where each individual cable is bound with a pair for another connector will not work.

The original Ethernet, 10BASE2, actually had all computers on a network sharing a single coax cable (well, many coax cables, but connected with splitters). Methods such as CSMA/CD were developed to make this work. Wireless networking and Powerline networking derive from this basis. 10BASE-T and 100BASE-T basically changed coax for twisted pair and splitters for hubs, and if you lacked a hub you could wire still up an additional point by hand in a pinch. 1000BASE-T removed this completely.

Saying a "Y cable" means two very different things to me. The first possibility is that all three parts of the Y cable are equally connected together, making a hub. The other is to take a 4 pair UTP cable and connect two of the pairs to one half of the Y and the other two pairs to the other half of the Y. The two halves of the Y are not electically connected together, and at the other end of the 4 pair UTP you have to have an adaptor wired up to do the exact same thing.