Mobo for NAS with ECC RAM

Anything speaking against those motherboards:

Asus P9D-MV Intel C222

Asus P9D-M Intel C224

and maybe what are the differences?

I plan on running freeNAS and use ECC RAM.

there also the 
ASUS P9D-I
Intel S1200KPR 
MSI CSM-C222-089

or.... you could go mad with the Asrock X99E-ITX xD

13 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

Anything speaking against those motherboards:

Asus P9D-MV Intel C222

Asus P9D-M Intel C224

and maybe what are the differences?

I plan on running freeNAS and use ECC RAM.

The 224 has 4 SATA III ports and 2 SATA II ports
The 222 has 2 SATA III ports and 4 SATA II ports

9 minutes ago, rafazafar said:

there also the 
ASUS P9D-I
Intel S1200KPR 
MSI CSM-C222-089

or.... you could go mad with the Asrock X99E-ITX xD

But those mobo will work well right?

4 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

Yeah. The Supermicro X10SLL-F-O is also a good choice (and currently cheaper then both I believe). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yes. It all depends on which socket ur CPU is.
771 with some old xeons or a 775 with some Pentium Qs would be the cheapest.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yeah. The Supermicro X10SLL-F-O is also a good choice (and currently cheaper then both I believe). 

But I have heard the supermicro boards are very picky with RAM :/ so I am not too sure about that

Just now, rafazafar said:

Yes. It all depends on which socket ur CPU is.

1150, I believe I am going with a  i3 4360.

Just now, Skydiver said:

But I have heard the supermicro boards are very picky with RAM :/ so I am not too sure about that

Thats partialy true, Asus tends to be bit more friendly with ram support but with server components, always check the compatibility list.

5 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

I recommend you to just buy some older socket 771 Cpus for cheaps.

3 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

If you're really that concerned then just make sure to get some memory off the QVL or that has been validated by multiple users. But Supermicro boards really aren't any more picky than any other server boards. 

The nice thing about the board I suggested iPMI, which will allow you to plug your router into your server and use your desktop as a KVM device very easily. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, rafazafar said:

That CPU does not support ECC.

yes it does. 

5 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

don't pay extra for a higher level i3. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If you're really that concerned then just make sure to get some memory off the QVL or that has been validated by multiple users. But Supermicro boards really aren't any more picky than any other server boards. 

The nice thing about the board I suggested iPMI, which will allow you to plug your router into your server and use your desktop as a KVM device very easily. 

Very good point. Way easier to work with.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

yes it does. 

Oh wow my bad. Thanks for the info.
Got to keep my eye out then.
Sorry OP. Ignore me.

So the asus board does not have IPMI??? So which of the board has this function and what exactly does it do, my google search only confused me more. Can I still connect my NAS without IPMI?

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

So you would recommend buying a lower spec i3? Even if I want to stream 1080p videos from it and encrypt my data?

So the asus board does not have IPMI??? So which of the board has this function and what exactly does it do, my google search only confused me more. Can I still connect my NAS without IPMI?

IPMI is a KVM over ethernet. So you plug a second ethernet wire from your server into your router, and then from any computer you can remotely access your server as if you had a monitor, keyboard, and mouse plugged directly into it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

So you would recommend buying a lower spec i3? Even if I want to stream 1080p videos from it and encrypt my data?

The slight performance boost won't make any difference. If you think you'll need more power, then go with a Xeon E3 1231v3.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

IPMI is a KVM over ethernet. So you plug a second ethernet wire from your server into your router, and then from any computer you can remotely access your server as if you had a monitor, keyboard, and mouse plugged directly into it. 

Okay that really is a needed feature, so which motherboard that supports this feature would you recommend (in the same price range as the asus board and enough sata ports)

Okay that really is a needed feature, so which motherboard that supports this feature would you recommend (in the same price range as the asus board and enough sata ports)

Supermicro X10SLL-F-O 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Supermicro X10SLL-F-O 

I can't easily get it in my country, any other suggestions?

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The slight performance boost won't make any difference. If you think you'll need more power, then go with a Xeon E3 1231v3.

is the Intel Core i3 4170 then a good choice?

Can you get any Supermicro boards that have a -f in the name? Otherwise you can just look for any motherboard that happens to have IPMI -- it will be listed as a feature. 

How many 1080p transcoded plex streams will there be? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Can you get any Supermicro boards that have a -f in the name? Otherwise you can just look for any motherboard that happens to have IPMI -- it will be listed as a feature. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I will have max 2-3 1080p streams and for whatever reason supermicro boards are pretty hard to obtain here. 

6 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

I will have max 2-3 1080p streams and for whatever reason supermicro boards are pretty hard to obtain here. 

Well, look for any C222, C224, or C226 motherboard that has an IPMI port if you'd like that functionality. Otherwise, either of the boards you're already looking at are fine. 

The i3 is enough to handle about four 1080p streams, so there should be enough room for encryption. Although, why are you even going to encrypt media data anyway? I would recommend asking on the FreeNAS forums if you want a better/validated answer, but if I had to guess the i3 would be sufficient. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler