Overclocking northbridge.

I have GA-770T-D3L motherboard and Phenom II x4 955 BE processor. Motherboard is revision 1.x if I'm not mistaken and processor is revision C3. I overclocked it to 3.8GHz at +0.025v (1.425v) for who knows how long, maybe 4-5 years, if not more. Now the problem is that I experience 20+ loss in FPS when I'm using Windows 10 opposing to Windows 7. For instance average FPS in CS:GO on Win 7 is 170 while on Windows 10 it's 145. I know this doesn't seem like much but I can really feel the difference because at some points FPS dips below 70 and you can really feel it. I need to keep it above 128. The FPS difference is noticeable in other games too (H1Z1, POE, World of Tanks, etc.)

It's pissing me off because I really want to use Windows 10 and I tried every single software trick and setting in order to bring it back to Win 7 performance but I wasn't able to do so. Until I overclocked my Northbridge. With 200MHz (2200MHz) clock I got 10 fps, and with +600MHz (2600MHz) clock I got 30+ FPS and I can feel the games are working even better than before with system also feeling snappier (maybe just a placebo effect). 

Now my problem is that HWMonitor is showing NB temperature of 82 degrees C while NB IS NOT overclocked (2000MHz and 1.100v not sure on the default voltage 1.1 or 1.0). It was this way for 5 years now because I thought it's normal :D and I had warranty. When I overclock the NB temperature rises by 2 degrees (84C) and is not stable with 1.300v. Now I am scared of increasing voltage because I am getting into the range of max safe voltage which is 1.450 if I'm not mistaken, some people even saying it's same as CPU at 1.550. The temperature is listed as TMPIN2 which I believe is NB, and my TMPIN1 temperature which are said to be VRMs is from 38 to 46 degrees which seems ok. The reason I want to up the voltage on NB is huge stability issues (everything crashing after a few minutes) but my PC wont even boot at lower voltages. I am feeling I'm close on stability :)

EDIT: My CPU is cooled with Noctua NH-D14 and NB is in a really tight spot, but I have a side fan, and I have 3 more additional fans placed for maximum air flow.

What do you guys think xD

If it's 5 years old whatever TIM material is under the NB is probably crapping out. I would unmount the heatsink (assuming it is easily removable) and clean off whatever is there, apply new TIM, and remount.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

4 minutes ago, runit3 said:

If it's 5 years old whatever TIM material is under the NB is probably crapping out. I would unmount the heatsink (assuming it is easily removable) and clean off whatever is there, apply new TIM, and remount.

Yep, I was thinking about that forever but can't get myself to do it -.- I'm just so lazy. Just note that 80C temperature was there from day 1 of me buying that mobo 5 years ago, and I can move the heatsink a little since it doesn't seem like it's fixed in place like all the other heatsinks I've seen. It's on some kind of springs, not bolted or whatever.

Just now, Dima said:

Yep, I was thinking about that forever but can't get myself to do it -.- I'm just so lazy. Just note that 80C temperature was there from day 1, and I can move the heatsink a little since it doesn't seem like it's fixed in place like all the other heatsinks I've seen. It's on some kind of springs, not bolted or whatever.

I had a similar issue with my old X58 board, not the performance issues, but when I had my 980X OC'd that NB got toasty. If I remember correctly almost all spring type retention mechanisms are secured from the back of the MOBO. Should be able to flip it over and find the 2 or 4 screws. Just make sure you hold down the spring on the opposite side or things will go flying.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |