False Notifications

The notifications bell will show that I have one new notification appx. every 1 minute even though I have viewed all notifications. When clicked on it will go away for 1 minute. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Well, it happens seemingly randomly. Sometimes It's a problem others it isn't.

I'm starting to believe that it's a timekeeping problem because my computer doesn't keep time, but whenever I update the time on my computer it goes away for a few hours, then it comes back until I update my time. My computer time is only off by ~1 hour when this starts occurring. Does the browser executed side of Vbulletin rely on user time for functions like notifications?

Just now, straight_stewie said:

Well, it happens seemingly randomly. Sometimes It's a problem others it isn't.

I'm starting to believe that it's a timekeeping problem because I'm too lazy to replace my mobo battery and my computer doesn't keep time, but whenever I update the time on my computer it goes away for a few hours, then it comes back until I update my time. My computer time is only off by ~1 hour when this starts occurring. Does the browser executed side of Vbulletin rely on user time for functions like notifications?

The time shouldn't make any difference - when you initially load the page, the server includes the number of unread notifications that you currently have, then every minute it also polls the server to see how many notifications you currently have, and shows a notification and updates the number if appropriate.

It is possible that the notification was removed, either because a post was removed or because someone removed the reputation that they had given to your post. The notification may have been there when the page was loaded, but had been removed by the time you opened your notifications.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

It is possible that the notification was removed, either because a post was removed or because someone removed the reputation that they had given to your post. The notification may have been there when the page was loaded, but had been removed by the time you opened your notifications.

But that wouldn't cause the notification to reappear every minute for hours on end. If that's the case, whatever person is repping my posts must be really unsure. I'm thinking that Vbulletin may be polling user time instead of server time and then showing whatever notifications are valid at user time. If that's the case then if I get a notification and my computer time doesn't update, it will keep reappearing every time Vbulletin polls my time. In other words, Vbulletin may be polling user time, then updating that user to show whatever notifications are valid for that time. In the case that user time never updates the same notification will keep reappearing.

That begs the question: Why on Earth doesn't my computer keep time (the clock will literally go backwards at times) and how do I fix it?

58 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

But that wouldn't cause the notification to reappear every minute for hours on end. If that's the case, whatever person is repping my posts must be really unsure. I'm thinking that Vbulletin may be polling user time instead of server time and then showing whatever notifications are valid at user time. If that's the case then if I get a notification and my computer time doesn't update, it will keep reappearing every time Vbulletin polls my time. In other words, Vbulletin may be polling user time, then updating that user to show whatever notifications are valid for that time. In the case that user time never updates the same notification will keep reappearing.

That begs the question: Why on Earth doesn't my computer keep time (the clock will literally go backwards at times) and how do I fix it?

It's IP.Board rather than VBulliten, but it doesn't include any times at all in the requests (that will cause the time stamps on quotes to go out though).

Is it desktop notifications (or popups on the page) that you're getting, or is it just that the notification badge is being reset when you load the page?

What browser are you using?

HTTP/2 203

5 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Notification badge and the current version of chrome.

Are you using the chrome extension for the forum? 

If not, it's just showing up when you load the page, right? So when you clear it by opening the list, it stays cleared until you reload the page? 

HTTP/2 203

About every minute or so it just pops back up by itself. Does switching tabs reload the page? 

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

About every minute or so it just pops back up by itself. Does switching tabs reload the page? 

Can you press F12 and switch to the network tab, then leave it for a couple of minutes. Click the bottom item in the list and take a screenshot of it and send it to me. 

HTTP/2 203

I'm a little confused about which one you want, so here's a snapshot of the list, which one is it?First.PNG.9edb0631c3fe52bd7af0e56ef5a7d0

7 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I'm a little confused about which one you want, so here's a snapshot of the list, which one is it?

If you click them, can you find the one with a request URL that contains ?app=core&module=system&controller=ajax, and screenshot that one? You may have to leave it for a minute or so before it shows up.

HTTP/2 203

I've hidden your post because it contains some potentially sensitive information. That's the right one, but can you also screenshot the response tab (there shouldn't be any sensitive data in there)? However, that request looks like it should have worked correctly - did it tell you that you had new notifications after that entry appeared?

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

I've hidden your post because it contains some potentially sensitive information.

It's visible? the topic

Just now, IsaacDaGrazin said:

It's visible? the topic

No, there was a post in the topic which has now been removed.

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

No, there was a post in the topic which has now been removed.

Ohh sorry, I thought you meant the whole topic.

I probably shoulda pm'd that. Idk what the deal with it is. It never did it all the time, but when it does do it it's every time the page refreshes. Idk. Now that I know what to take screenshots of, next time it's doing it i'll screen it (on both tabs) and pm it to you @colonel_mortis