Quick Run Down on DaVinci Resolve?

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by nickl,

Oh! You have to go to the edit tab and make a new edit with the rendered clip in it. Then you should be able to export.

So I have my school project video rendered up and all, (also have the .veg project file if I still need that), and to give it a filmic look I filmed in 24FPS and what not. I kept it in 16:9 simply because of time and the fact that it would be useless on a Smart Board anyways, so there's that.

Anyhow, I need a quick run down of how I can color correct my rendered video in DaVinci Resolve? So far I have opened up the file and played with the 3D LUT/1D LUT/etc. settings when I right click the media, and I found one some preset that looks pretty nice, but I don't know how to just choose that and then save the changes to the .mp4, or if I have to manually change the color balance and then do something else.

I'm just really confused, any help? Thanks, @byalexandr

I am assuming that you have the latest version of Resolve (12). You can simply use the LUT and go to the deliver tab and render out your video. The file that you get out of that would use the LUT that was chose in the media tab.

Depending on how far that you want to go, I would think that you would want to export an XML of the edits that you did in Vegas, and then import that into Resolve, as it should be able to adopt most editing that you did. It probably can't do stuff too complicated, but doing it this way would allow you to grade each clip separately.

Doing this would transfer the editing that you did in Vegas into Resolve, and export it again. In this way, you could color each clip separately, allowing greater flexibility.

If you don't want to go through the trouble/work of that, you can also use the wheels, dials, and curves in the color tab to do what you want to.

If you don't want to use the curves, you can just use the LUT and use the deliver tab to export/render.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

5 minutes ago, nickl said:

I am assuming that you have the latest version of Resolve (12). You can simply use the LUT and go to the deliver tab and render out your video. The file that you get out of that would use the LUT that was chose in the media tab.

Depending on how far that you want to go, I would think that you would want to export an XML of the edits that you did in Vegas, and then import that into Resolve, as it should be able to adopt most editing that you did. It probably can't do stuff too complicated, but doing it this way would allow you to grade each clip separately.

Doing this would transfer the editing that you did in Vegas into Resolve, and export it again. In this way, you could color each clip separately, allowing greater flexibility.

If you don't want to go through the trouble/work of that, you can also use the wheels, dials, and curves in the color tab to do what you want to.

If you don't want to use the curves, you can just use the LUT and use the deliver tab to export/render.

Yeah but when I go to deliver, there is nothing there even though I applied a Film Filter through the LUT thingy. I don't know how to export it, basically.

Oh! You have to go to the edit tab and make a new edit with the rendered clip in it. Then you should be able to export.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

Just now, nickl said:

I'll try that.