Rate my photo and what should I use to print it?

TheGeeker

This photo was taken in Hawaii, Honolulu. What do you think? Tell me thoughts. ZERO editing done this photo is STOCK! Also what should I use to print it? I was thinking something matte like. 

best light jacob.JPG

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

how long of exposure time was it 

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

Just now, AlbinoTexan said:

how long of exposure time was it 

30 seconds its the max my camera has without holding it

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Just now, TheGeeker said:

30 seconds its the max my camera has without holding it

it looks super good!

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

Doesnt making a longer exposure time make the picture brighter? How did you manage to do this for 30 seconds and not get a completely white image? Were you using a large aperture and a low ISO?

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Just now, Luc401 said:

Doesnt making a longer exposure time make the picture brighter? How did you manage to do this for 30 seconds and not get a completely white image? Were you using a large aperture and a low ISO?

Most likely, that's what I tend to do. I HATE noise and so I don't mind the image being darker. The lens I typically shoot long exposure photos with is also F2.8 so it's pretty easy for the image to maintain it's brightness and low noise.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Just now, Luc401 said:

30 seconds seemed to be the sweet spot. This was 45 seconds 

IMG_0339.JPG

2 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

yes I was using a low iso and high aperture

2 minutes ago, TheGeeker said:

30 seconds seemed to be the sweet spot. This was 45 seconds 

IMG_0339.JPG

I have other angles and things too. 

3 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Most likely, that's what I tend to do. I HATE noise and so I don't mind the image being darker. The lens I typically shoot long exposure photos with is also F2.8 so it's pretty easy for the image to maintain it's brightness and low noise.

4 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

More angles and shots

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

Threw in some other shots that I liked for review as well.

I know jack about photography, so no review from me but those shots look awesome. :) 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Go to a store that does prints and ask them what sort of paper, ink/dye, backplating and print sizes they offer.  A proper print lab would be better, but they can be more expensive.

If the photo is for a client, I prefer letting them deal with prints and just send them a digital file (unless they're willing to pay my rates for printing).  For myself.. depends where I want to hang it.

How to print is not something we can give you a clear answer.  As a photographer you need to know which types of print processes, ink/dye, paper, coating, etc. works best for the photo.  For example, for portraits I like to print them on paper that is not glossy, but not exactly matte either.  When it comes to landscapes another type of paper, print process, etc.

As for your photo: I rate it 2/10.  30s is a bit too dark, the image perspective needs to be slightly adjusted in post to make them straighter and there's already thousands of photos like these on the web that I don't really see anything that would make your photo stand out.  So you get a 2/10 just for effort.

Your 45 second long exposure shot: 1/10, same criticism as before but this time you forgot to correct white balance.

Submarine ride shots: again nothing spectacular, they look like holiday photos or something you'd see on a travels&tours website/brochure.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

11 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Go to a store that does prints and ask them what sort of paper, ink/dye, backplating and print sizes they offer.  A proper print lab would be better, but they can be more expensive.

If the photo is for a client, I prefer letting them deal with prints and just send them a digital file (unless they're willing to pay my rates for printing).  For myself.. depends where I want to hang it.

How to print is not something we can give you a clear answer.  As a photographer you need to know which types of print processes, ink/dye, paper, coating, etc. works best for the photo.  For example, for portraits I like to print them on paper that is not glossy, but not exactly matte either.  When it comes to landscapes another type of paper, print process, etc.

As for your photo: I rate it 2/10.  30s is a bit too dark, the image perspective needs to be slightly adjusted in post to make them straighter and there's already thousands of photos like these on the web that I don't really see anything that would make your photo stand out.  So you get a 2/10 just for effort.

Your 45 second long exposure shot: 1/10, same criticism as before but this time you forgot to correct white balance.

Submarine ride shots: again nothing spectacular, they look like holiday photos or something you'd see on a travels&tours website/brochure.

Thanks for the feedback! I am a photography noob and am just starting out. You are right though! These were just shots of me screwing around with my camera on vacation. What did you mean in your post about "the image perspective needs to be slightly adjusted in post to make them straighter "? You mean change the angle of the shot? Thanks 

7 minutes ago, TheGeeker said:

Thanks for the feedback! I am a photography noob and am just starting out. You are right though! These were just shots of me screwing around with my camera on vacation. What did you mean in your post about "the image perspective needs to be slightly adjusted in post to make them straighter "? You mean change the angle of the shot? Thanks 

What I mean is, make the buildings vertical.  In an editing tool such as Lightroom there is a tool to help straighten lines.  Additionally I like to use a plugin called DxO Viewpoint in conjunction with Lightroom to change any angles or distortions in my images that I could not account for during the process of capturing the image due to various reasons (restriction of location, unable to get the shot from a better angle).  In your photo, the buildings in the distance appear to be standing upright, but the buildings closer to the edge appear to be slanted.

You also seem to have a tiny bit of lens distortion, it can happen with wide angle lenses.

If you want to do long exposure shots, think about investing in 100x100 slide in ND filter systems, instead of just relying on using very small apertures.  ND filter systems like these can be a bit expensive, but they are more versatile than screw on filters:

How_to_use_ND_filters_CAN62.help_me.nd05

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Here's a video that sort of shows what I mean by fixing the composition in post for things that could not be accounted for during the photoshoot.