The 3-2-1 backup rule

WaterproofBeanie
Go to solution Solved by comicsansms,

If you want to back up correctly.

Have the copy on your computer (only if you need it on your computer), have a copy on something else in your house (like an external HDD or NAS) and something offsite like dropbox.

It does not matter what they are stored on as long as you are not storing all your eggs in one basket.

Do NOT get a tape drive, The tapes may be dirt cheap, but the drive and everything about them cost a fortune. Did I menton how slow they are?

After the SSD in my mac failed, I have begun looking in to proper backup solutions for me. I have come across the 3-2-1 rule - 3 copies, 2 different storage mediums and 1 offsite. Is there any way to implement the second step at a reasonable price? As I understand it, backing up to an online service counts as the online backup, the copy on my computer is another (local) backup, my NAS is a third backup (still local), but as far as I can tell that is only 1 medium. I use hard drives in my nas, presumably they use hard drives at the online backup service, and the SSD in my computer is still a hard drive (isn't it?). Is there a cheap way of doing this that doesn't evolve 10 blu-rays or a thousand-dollar tape drive?

Thanks, sb

7 minutes ago, ShaolinBear said:

After the SSD in my mac failed, I have begun looking in to proper backup solutions for me. I have come across the 3-2-1 rule - 3 copies, 2 different storage mediums and 1 offsite. Is there any way to implement the second step at a reasonable price? As I understand it, backing up to an online service counts as the online backup, the copy on my computer is another (local) backup, my NAS is a third backup (still local), but as far as I can tell that is only 1 medium. I use hard drives in my nas, presumably they use hard drives at the online backup service, and the SSD in my computer is still a hard drive (isn't it?). Is there a cheap way of doing this that doesn't evolve 10 blu-rays or a thousand-dollar tape drive?

Thanks, sb

cloud, hdd, and ssd?

as long as youve got proper backups, that should be fine

Have the copy on your computer (only if you need it on your computer), have a copy on something else in your house (like an external HDD or NAS) and something offsite like dropbox.

It does not matter what they are stored on as long as you are not storing all your eggs in one basket.

Do NOT get a tape drive, The tapes may be dirt cheap, but the drive and everything about them cost a fortune. Did I menton how slow they are?

49 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Right. It seems I misunderstood the way that works. Thanks!