What I will buy in the future

- 2TB SSD

- second MSI 980TI GPU for sli

What would be nice to have

- low idle noise

- red color scheme

Components I need help with (not sure about):

- Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING 

- RAM: 32 GB kit (not really sure which brand)

- cooler:

1. Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT (read that the gtx has worse software) - worried about water leaking out of it, so an air option would also be taken into consideration

2. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I intend to overclock.

I will be using this or ocasional gaming (hence the 980 ti), but most of the time i work with virtual maching, writing code, compiling, doing automated tests (which need cpu, ram and disk speed).

Budget: around 1100 euro for cpu, motherboard, ram, cooler

Thank you kindly for your time!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($258.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $904.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-25 18:52 EST-0500

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

Cut back on the gpu, an R9 390X or GTX 980. Don't bother with the additional/replacement fans. Instead of the Samsung 850 Pro ssd, go with a Samsung 950 Pro M.2(M) ssd. Much faster interface (up to 32Gb/s as opposed to SATA III 6Gb/s). This will make a big difference in typical coding work flow performance.

Asus z170 Pro Gaming is a decent motherboard and does have the desired color scheme. Consider 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ or red RipjawsV memory modules. Corsair red Vengeance LPX or G.Skill Aegis modules would be better if the Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler was choosen.

Kraken X61 cpu cooler is usually quieter than the Corsair models. Does a good job cooling.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thank you! I found a great deal on a new NH-D15 so I will probably go with that.\

I already have the MSI TI and ssd, and I'm staying away from M2 at the moment because the 950 thermal throttles and I would be voiding warranty by sticking heatsinks on it - but in the future I'll buy a 2TB M2

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:14 PM, wladq said:

What I have:

Case: Fractal Design S (Window version if it matters) + top dust filter

PSU: SuperFlower 

GPU: MSI 980 TI 6GB

Fans: Noctua 120 & 140 fans

Storage: Samsung 850 pro SSD, 500gb

What I'm set on:

CPU: Intel 6700K

What I will buy in the future

- 2TB SSD

- second MSI 980TI GPU for sli

What would be nice to have

- low idle noise

- red color scheme

Components I need help with (not sure about):

- Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING 

- RAM: 32 GB kit (not really sure which brand)

- cooler:

1. Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT (read that the gtx has worse software) - worried about water leaking out of it, so an air option would also be taken into consideration

2. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I intend to overclock.

I will be using this or ocasional gaming (hence the 980 ti), but most of the time i work with virtual maching, writing code, compiling, doing automated tests (which need cpu, ram and disk speed).

Budget: around 1100 euro for cpu, motherboard, ram, cooler

Thank you kindly for your time!

1. go with the 6700k

2. either go with corsair vengeance ddr4 ram or Kingston hyper x ddr4 ram

3. I would go with the z170-A motherboard as it supports sli and I don't think the pro gaming edition motherboard does

4. go with cooler master hyper 212 evo if you are scared of a water cooler leaking

*go with the 6700k if you are doing lots of content creation (I assume you are)

13 minutes ago, wladq said:

Thank you! I found a great deal on a new NH-D15 so I will probably go with that.\

I already have the MSI TI and ssd, and I'm staying away from M2 at the moment because the 950 thermal throttles and I would be voiding warranty by sticking heatsinks on it - but in the future I'll buy a 2TB M2

the m.2 ssd slot on the motherboard isn't near the cpu so there isn't any way you could put heatsinks on it

I need the cpu for work. Building another pc with 5690x for heavy duty cpu-bound 24/24 testing, for my normal work a 4core/8threads should be enough for at least a year and a half.

I found the Asus VIII range ( https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/ ) at the same price

On the spec page it supports Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology - so probably there's not going to be any issues there.

4 minutes ago, wladq said:

I need the cpu for work. Building another pc with 5690x for heavy duty cpu-bound 24/24 testing, for my normal work a 4core/8threads should be enough for at least a year and a half.

I found the Asus VIII range ( https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/ ) at the same price

On the spec page it supports Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology - so probably there's not going to be any issues there.

are you saying you found a republic of gamers motherboard at the same price as the z170-pro gaming? wow! is that really true? it can't be

Edited by jol159

6 minutes ago, jol159 said:

are you saying you found a republic of gamers motherboard at the same price as the z170-pro gaming? wow! is that really true? it can't be

it isn't

1 hour ago, wladq said:

Reviews that commented on thermal throttling also noted that this did not seem to unduly affect performance. It seems to me that the chances of encountering throttling are fairly low. Reviewer benchmarks tend to put a much higher and longer than average load on a drive.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.