Surface Pro 3 vs. Pro 4

So...  The title pretty much says it all,  I know that the pro 4 has been out a little while now and there are some decent upgrades on it but don't know whether it would be worth it.  

I can get the Pro 3 here in the UK for £419 and the Pro 4 is £749

I know there's a bit of a difference in the pen design and keyboard design but from the Microsoft website the new pro 4 keyboard should be backwards compatible with the 3.

I would mainly be using the surface for general surfing and work at university like taking lecture notes on one note with the pen like a few others have been doing,  and maybe streaming some games from a separate PC over steam.  

specs are as follows

Pro 3

CPU:Intel® Atom™ Z8700 processor

RAM: 2GB

Strorage: 64GB

Screen resoluion: 1920x1080 

Pro 4

CPU :Intel Core m3-6Y30 Processor

RAM 4GB

Storage : 128GB 

Screen resoluion 2736x1824

I would recomend the pro 4. This is because if there is any updates you will be able to get them. I had a surface pro 2 and I loved it. It broke while I was moving and I was extremly sad

Pro 3

The above specs are for the Surface 3. Not the Pro 3. The lowest Pro 3 you can get is a i3 and 64GB of Storage with 4GB of RAM. So you are really not comparing the Pro 3 and the Pro 4. But the Surface 3 and the Surface Pro 4. That is why the price varies so much.

I have the Pro 3 and find it sufficient had it since it was released. My brother recently upgraded to the Pro 4. Not any huge improvements. Just a bigger screen, better pen. And it does not heat up as easily and fan noise tends to be quieter mainly because it is not used as much. I haven't had much experience with the Surface 3 but I have used it. It would work for light use such as web browsing and lecture notes. But I would recommend getting a model with 4GB of RAM. Quite a few people do not know how to use a computer efficiently and have 100s of tabs and windows open. I could make 2GB work for the uses you describe. But not everyone can.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

I suggest just avoiding anything with Core M or Atom processors if you're going to be doing heavy work on them. It's really the #1 reason I am not getting a surface. 

2 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

I suggest just avoiding anything with Core M or Atom processors if you're going to be doing heavy work on them. It's really the #1 reason I am not getting a surface. 

You do realize there are other models of the Surface that do not have the Core M or the Atom based processors? Right?

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

Just now, xboxonthego3 said:

You do realize there our other models of the Surface that do not have the Core M or the Atom based processors? Right?

Yeah, but given the price of the things I just can't justify not getting a more fully featured machine. My mom has a SP3 and I hate the type cover. I need a keyboard. I'm getting the Acer Aspire R13. 

4 minutes ago, xboxonthego3 said:

The above specs are for the Surface 3. Not the Pro 3. The lowest Pro 3 you can get is a i3 and 64GB of Storage with 4GB of RAM. So you are really not comparing the Pro 3 and the Pro 4. But the Surface 3 and the Surface Pro 4. That is why the price varies so much.

I have the Pro 3 and find it sufficient had it since it was released. My brother recently upgraded to the Pro 4. Not any huge improvements. Just a bigger screen, better pen. And it does not heat up as easily and fan noise tends to be quieter mainly because it is not used as much. I haven't had much experience with the Surface 3 but I have used it. It would work for light use such as web browsing and lecture notes. But I would recommend getting a model with 4GB of RAM. Quite a few people do not know how to use a computer efficiently and have 100s of tabs and windows open. I could make 2GB work for the uses you describe. But not everyone can.

Thanks I didn't spot that actually, will have a look at the Pro 3 

Just now, DaltonM said:

Yeah, but given the price of the things I just can't justify not getting a more fully featured machine. My mom has a SP3 and I hate the type cover. I need a keyboard. I'm getting the Acer Aspire R13. 

The price of portability. But understandable though the Surface is not for everyone.

22 minutes ago, Warlock5822 said:

So...  The title pretty much says it all,  I know that the pro 4 has been out a little while now and there are some decent upgrades on it but don't know whether it would be worth it.  

I can get the Pro 3 here in the UK for £419 and the Pro 4 is £749

I know there's a bit of a difference in the pen design and keyboard design but from the Microsoft website the new pro 4 keyboard should be backwards compatible with the 3.

I would mainly be using the surface for general surfing and work at university like taking lecture notes on one note with the pen like a few others have been doing,  and maybe streaming some games from a separate PC over steam.  

specs are as follows

Pro 3

Pro 4

CPU :Intel Core m3-6Y30 Processor

RAM 4GB

Storage : 128GB 

Screen resoluion 2736x1824

You got it all wrong. You're comparing Surface 3 and Surface PRO 4.

Surface Pro 3 is like 600 ish pounds.

haswell core i3/i5/i7

4 or 8Gb ram

128 to 512Gb storage

etc

I would buy surface pro 4 and by the way surface 3 and surface pro 4 are not compatible with accessories.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),