High Quality HDMI...

elliott35

I work at an electronics retailer where everyone firmly believes that high quality HDMI cables make a huge difference to audio quality. Specifically audio quest HDMI cables. I know that they dont make any difference, and that by their very nature (digital signal) it would not even be possible for any difference to exist between high speed HDMI. The managers even like to setup demos where they switch the HDMI and it sounds better with the more expensive cables... What do people think? How can I show these people that they are ignorant... There is no need to spend $1000+ on a three foot HDMI, yet some people fall for it...

Just now, elliott35 said:

I work at an electronics retailer where everyone firmly believes that high quality HDMI cables make a huge difference to audio quality. Specifically audio quest HDMI cables. I know that they dont make any difference, and that by their very nature (digital signal) it would not even be possible for any difference to exist between high speed HDMI. The managers even like to setup demos where they switch the HDMI and it sounds better with the more expensive cables... What do people think? How can I show these people that they are ignorant... There is no need to spend $1000+ on a three foot HDMI, yet some people fall for it...

HDMI is HDMI :P

You could spend that much making a gaming rig

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

Let them be stupid and just try to save as many customers as you can. 

There's nothing you can realistically do other than show them the entirety of the internet. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I didn't even know there was $1000 HDMI cables... I don't even know where to start the argument when cables cost that much. Good luck to you though!

3 minutes ago, elliott35 said:

SNIP

Get 2 same model TVs, 2x Blu ray players

Connect one with the most expensive cable, and one with the cheapest in the shop

Ask them to guess

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

well, you know, if you work at a place where you get a comission, just come in and "save their ass" when they choose an hdmi cable. say: "oh, i want to be honest with you, don't say it too loud, but these cables are exaclty the same!" then you establish a trust bond, you make them save hundreds of dollars, and you can make them buy more things which makes you an enormous comission!

(ok, that may be evil, but still true :p)

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

Audioquest claims that their cables are directional and that they specifically listen to every batch of metal conductors to determine which way the cable should go... HOLY SHIT DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW ELECTRICITY WORKS!!!!

Yep it's a real scam.  

"My cable data travels at higher light speed than yours!"

bull shit 

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Get 2 same model TVs, 2x Blu ray players

Connect one with the most expensive cable, and one with the cheapest in the shop

Ask them to guess

They do this... Placebo kicks in and everyone is always tricked...

4 minutes ago, LordFuhnee said:

Yep it's a real scam.  

"My cable data travels at higher light speed than yours!"

bull shit 

Well, High Speed HDMI cables are actually legit, so a cable can make a difference by allowing for a higher throughput. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, elliott35 said:

They do this... Placebo kicks in and everyone is always tricked...

But they will not know which is which

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Whats lukes tag in here? He should do this for the workbench series! or even a tech quickie.

1 minute ago, elliott35 said:

Whats lukes tag in here? He should do this for the workbench series! or even a tech quickie.

You could also set it up so that it says "expensive cable" and "cheap cable" and ask what differences they can see

then reveal that it was actually the cheap cable they were talking abuot

There ARE differences in HDMI cable capabilities, and shielding etc - so there can be variations, but if its just a 1080p signal 2 two identical tvs, it should be the same regardless

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

You could also set it up so that it says "expensive cable" and "cheap cable" and ask what differences they can see

then reveal that it was actually the cheap cable they were talking abuot

There ARE differences in HDMI cable capabilities, and shielding etc - so there can be variations, but if its just a 1080p signal 2 two identical tvs, it should be the same regardless

/\

I have bought a price range of cables, ranging from 5$ to 20$  and the cheaper ones are LESS DURABLE, the quality is usually the same.   I generally just Wait for big sales and get MONSTER cables at about 15$ dollars for 10FT, cause the quality of those cables is great,  The cheap ones just don't last as long.   

8 minutes ago, Arty said:

/\

I have bought a price range of cables, ranging from 5$ to 20$  and the cheaper ones are LESS DURABLE, the quality is usually the same.   I generally just Wait for big sales and get MONSTER cables at about 15$ dollars for 10FT, cause the quality of those cables is great,  The cheap ones just don't last as long.   

But would you spend 1000 for three feet? 

1 minute ago, elliott35 said:

But would you spend 1000 for three feet? 

only if the cable printed money ;) so no.

2 hours ago, elliott35 said:

Wait, don't you benefit from selling these? 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

1 hour ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Wait, don't you benefit from selling these? 

You don't need to completely screw over customers though just to make a bit extra commission. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You don't need to completely screw over customers though just to make a bit extra commission. 

Well, no, but it is nice to have the money. Isn't commission close to 35-50% of your income? I would rather have money than have someone else have that same money. That's about it.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

3 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Well, no, but it is nice to have the money. Isn't commission close to 35-50% of your income? I would rather have money than have someone else have that same money. That's about it.

Some people feel guilty over screwing customers out of $1000 when they only needed to spend like $20. (I honestly don't mean to say that those who don't feel guilty are bad people, some people are just affected more than others)

My guess is the extra amount of money you'd (as an employee) end up with at the end of the year by pushing $1000 HDMI cables is negligible since you wouldn't sell a whole lot of them. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Some people feel guilty over screwing customers out of $1000 when they only needed to spend like $20. (I honestly don't mean to say that those who don't feel guilty are bad people, some people are just affected more than others)

My guess is the extra amount of money you'd (as an employee) end up with at the end of the year by pushing $1000 HDMI cables is negligible since you wouldn't sell a whole lot of them. 

I looked it up and it's 1.5% on the first item and 2.5% on all after that at microcenter so$15 $25. Not great, but not too shabby either, and worth about the a half day's salary ($4/hour, according to glassdoor) if you work an 8 hour day and it's the first item.

If it were an analogue system, better cables make a difference. HDMI is the same no matter the cable. Now I have heard that if you use a higher quality cable even for HDMI it can make the signal travel a bit farther but I'm not too sure on that one. 

8 minutes ago, Britwit said:

If it were an analogue system, better cables make a difference. HDMI is the same no matter the cable. Now I have heard that if you use a higher quality cable even for HDMI it can make the signal travel a bit farther but I'm not too sure on that one. 

I would believe that -- a higher quality cable (or a lower quality cable tbh) could have a lower resistance. There are also active HDMI cables which repeat the signal thereby allowing you to make extremely long runs (for these cables the quality of the cable will affect the quality of the content).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I would believe that -- a higher quality cable (or a lower quality cable tbh) could have a lower resistance. There are also active HDMI cables which repeat the signal thereby allowing you to make extremely long runs (for these cables the quality of the cable will affect the quality of the content).

That makes sense, especially with the whole house runs they're doing now. but even those aren't pushing 100$.