which GPU should I go for?

I would like some help with choosing a GPU for my first gaming rig. for the GPU I have a budget of about $300 to $400. I have about $160 set aside for a PSU and a SSD so if anyone could give me some suggestions for options. The list of parts I have here on pc part picker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v9Vdpg. I have already have the case and motherboard so the other items on the list aren't quite set in stone either. the color scheme I'm going for is blue and black but it is not a priority i'd rather performance but if possible.  thank you in advance!!

GTX 970.. plain NVIDIA is fine or whatever brand you like

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

R9 390 (or GTX 970 if you want to go green team)

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Pick a price point then pick a team.
390 or 970.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Either a R9 390 or GTX 970.

As for SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 for the GTX 970 (and the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS for the R9 390 - if possible, try to get the G2 as well).

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The GTX 970 will likely satisfy your needs best due to its more consistent frame times (and lowest frame rates) in games and its memory compression is efficient enough that (even when SLI'd) you're very unlikely to run into a VRAM bottleneck at 1080p or 1440p.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I say R9 390.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |