Payment Required for Software

Go to solution Solved by Centurius,
50 minutes ago, D14RAP said:

So the client downloads and installs the software then on installation is prompted for paypal payment?

Was going to use paypal but unsure how to implement as have never dealt with payment walls etc...

Ah, I thought the entire application would run on the web, if there are client downloads you'd need to go a slightly different away. To keep it simple however in that case I would have authentication be account rather than key-based. Paying on the website would enable a customer's account to use the application. Then they can verify their right during the install by logging in, as an added security measure against piracy you could further limit its use by only allowing X simultaneous uses of an account and requiring people to be on-line at least every X days to verify continued right to use.

I am coding a web based software for booking and appointments and am looking to charge money for the service, how would I go about requiring a user to pay? sql table with keys? Best way to generate keys? another way? Thanks!

If it's web-based why not just integrate a payment processor into the application?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Go through a merchant company like Paypal, Moneris, etc. Have them store/process the payment info so you don't have to worry about the security/legal issues with it.

8 hours ago, Centurius said:

If it's web-based why not just integrate a payment processor into the application?

So the client downloads and installs the software then on installation is prompted for paypal payment?

8 hours ago, madknight3 said:

Go through a merchant company like Paypal, Moneris, etc. Have them store/process the payment info so you don't have to worry about the security/legal issues with it.

Was going to use paypal but unsure how to implement as have never dealt with payment walls etc...

50 minutes ago, D14RAP said:

Ah, I thought the entire application would run on the web, if there are client downloads you'd need to go a slightly different away. To keep it simple however in that case I would have authentication be account rather than key-based. Paying on the website would enable a customer's account to use the application. Then they can verify their right during the install by logging in, as an added security measure against piracy you could further limit its use by only allowing X simultaneous uses of an account and requiring people to be on-line at least every X days to verify continued right to use.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

2 minutes ago, Centurius said:

This was very helpful, how would i go about using paypal to automatically interface with a list of users in my sql database? is there good documentation on their side?

1 minute ago, D14RAP said:

This was very helpful, how would i go about using paypal to automatically interface with a list of users in my sql database? is there good documentation on their side?

Glad to be of help :) I don't think Paypal has it itself on the website but guides can be googled. You could also look into readymade ecommerce solutions or even go with something like Invision(which also runs this website) and could instantly serve to code the frontend in as well as providing a support mechanism. https://www.invisionpower.com/features/apps#commerce . 

My Build:

Spoiler