Does wire splitting/splicing? slow down speeds?

Migit

I recently moved house, and unfortunatly into an area where only ADSL 2+ was avaliable

The property only had 1 phone line, right on the kitchen bench, so I got an electrician to come and install a new port in my room with my PC, so I can have an Ethernet cable to my PC

Had a delay with my service provider and internet has just been connected, however the speed is dreadful. Speedtest only reading like 1-1.5mbps, with pings of 50-130.

Could this be due to the rewiring? is it just cause the connection is new? How do I fix this?

Thanks

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

what do you think? I dont mean that sarcastically(well kinda...) but I'm genuinely curious... Your question baffles me sir. xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Arokhantos said:

What's the distance to first central point ? if that's not super huge then its probably bad wiring, adsl speeds slow down the further it has to travel if central is like bunch of km away rather then within 1 km range it may impact speeds a lot.

As in the point in the kitchen? Like 6 meters? give or take.

I wouldn't have a clue where the exchange is, is there a way to find out?

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

2 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

What's the distance to first central point ? if that's not super huge then its probably bad wiring, adsl speeds slow down the further it has to travel if central is like bunch of km away rather then within 1 km range it may impact speeds a lot.

Anyway i would check wiring anyway 1 / 1.5 mbps does't really sound like it may be distance issue from central.

resistance may be an issue, so yeah bad wiring is a real possibility... 

13 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

the ISP center i mean't that could be at the end of the street or bunch km away or even insanely far away.

From googling, I think its somewhere around 2-3 kms away, and looking at the map, its services extend another 3-4kms past my property

Just now, Arokhantos said:

Probably bad wiring then.

Hmm, okay, I'll run a wifi speedtest, then move it to the original point in the kitchen and try again.

Hopefully will show if it's just the electricians work (which we can hopefully fix), or the whole house, which probably can't be fixed :(

For DSL, it typically does. When I had verizon DSL, I had to have an extra jack installed in the room whee the modem was located, which connected to the main phone line at a much earlier stage. This offered a noticeable speed boost, especially when I was talking them info getting me the 7Mbps speed upgrade which they previously did not allow because I was "too far away"
. The retention department was able to get my call escalated, and eventually a worker agreed to provision me for the 7Mbps package, and I got the full 7Mbps (actually a tiny bit more since they overprovision the speeds a little).

I originally ran the new connection because on the 3Mbps package, I was getting more in the range of 2.8Mbps, and the SNR was not too high. The new connection significantly improved the SNR. Then again, the wiring in the home was also very old.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread.

The issue could be one of four things if there's no problem with your modem/gateway.

just wanted to know

the ethernet running to your pc room,

is it a direct ethernet cable coming out of the wall connecting to your pc and the other end to your modem? or is there a wall plate?

if it's a wall plate it could be an issue as small as the wires on the punchdown terminal being loose either at the wall plate near the modem or the wallplate near the pc.

the other issue it could be is you didn't restart the modem after connecting the pc.

which you should always do since the modem/gateway doesn't update the device list for wired devices correctly without a restart.

the third less likely thing it could be is an issue where the lan driver needs to be updated.

As for the fourth issue which is least likely

it could be your modem/gateway is connected via outdated telephone wire

which i can assure you if that is the case the speeds can be fixed by running a direct cat5E feed from the modem to the line drop on the outside of the house.

regarding the fourth issue if it is the case

you'll save money and get a modem in your pc room if you purchase and install the materials yourself and request to have a dsl technician come to your house to connect it for you,

just call to verify they don't charge to connect both ends of the cat 5 cable for you before following my instructions.

if you already have a staple gun and power drill

purchase a 12" length 3/8" diameter spade bit

purchase two feedthru bushings

purchase indoor/outdoor caulking

purchase at least 300ft of "white" cat 5e plenum cable

i say plenum because i don't know your districts fire code and plenum covers all low voltage wiring fire code and cat 5e uses less than 1v for data

even though the wiring will be outside i figure wiring that passes fire code should be approved if inspected.

, you might need to purchase a longer or shorter roll of cable depending on the approximate distance of cable from the room you want the modem installed to the nid.

before installation make sure there is no stucco on the wall near the outside wall where the coax cable goes into your home

otherwise you will have to prep it by removing small nubs of stucco so the caulking will adhere to the wall better later during installation.

to start installation case the outside of your home and look for a grey or black box

make sure there's no meter above it

once you find it you know that's your isp nid.

look for a coax jack leading to the room in which you want the modem installed checking to make sure an electrical outlet is not nearby,

then from the outside drill a hole with the spade bit 1/2 inch above or below the coax feed and slide a feedthru bushing onto the cat5e cable

then place the cabling through the hole until it reaches inside the room, next staple the cable onto the outside wall facing the wire upwards towards the eave

if there is stucco you need to use wire clips and stucco screws

once you staple the cable to the eave go inside the house and feed the other bushing onto the cable and push the bushing onto the wall,

go outside and continue stapling along the eave as you run it along the house until you get to the isp nid on your house.

once you get the other end of the cat5E to the nid

contact your isp and have them finish the installation by

terminating the cable with a rj11 connector on one end

and connecting the other end to the nid on your house,

there shouldn't be any fee for them to connect a pre-existing line you put in and if there is a fee

all the hard work was finished for them so you'll be charged a lot less for the labor

and you'll save quite a lot of money considering the fees they would normally charge you to run a new line are quite a lot.