Installing Linux on unused SSD

Hi everyone,

I have a unused 120GB SSD and wanted to install Linux on it. I'm currently using a 500GB SSD as my boot drive and for all my stuff, running WIndows 10. The 120GB SSD is formatted for Windows, so NTFS I think.

I downloaded a Ubuntu based distro and am now in the process of making a bootable USB.

What do I need to do in order to install it on the SSD? Boot from USB, and then go through the installation process, select my SSD and that's it? Do I have to install a bootloader that will allow me to choose which OS I want to boot from, or can I just boot from Linux by selecting the 120GB SSD as the main boot drive in the BIOS? 

Thanks for the help!

Just now, Yok said:

Hi everyone,

I have a unused 120GB SSD and wanted to install Linux on it. I'm currently using a 500GB SSD as my boot drive and for all my stuff, running WIndows 10. The 120GB SSD is formatted for Windows, so NTFS I think.

I downloaded a Ubuntu based distro and am now in the process of making a bootable USB.

What do I need to do in order to install it on the SSD? Boot from USB, and then go through the installation process, select my SSD and that's it? Do I have to install a bootloader that will allow me to choose which OS I want to boot from, or can I just boot from Linux by selecting the 120GB SSD as the main boot drive in the BIOS? 

Thanks for the help!

You can just install it with the USB

4 minutes ago, Yok said:

Do I have to install a bootloader that will allow me to choose which OS I want to boot from, or can I just boot from Linux by selecting the 120GB SSD as the main boot drive in the BIOS? 

You actually have both options. You can either use your motherboards "boot from X" and just select the right device OR you can install a bootloader like GRUB and always boot into GRUB and select the OS to start from there.

39 minutes ago, cynexit said:

You actually have both options. You can either use your motherboards "boot from X" and just select the right device OR you can install a bootloader like GRUB and always boot into GRUB and select the OS to start from there.

Unplugging the 500gb hhd is a good idea if you plan on installing it for the bios option if i remember correctly.

Lord of Helium.

Unless you have a special case ( I don't know how W10 reacts to Grub ), I'd just go ahead and install via USB without removing anything. Just make sure to select the right drive ;) (although I think Ubuntu makes that easier now)

Little update, I went ahead and install it, it was really simple. I just selected the 120GB SSD in the installation "wizard" after booting from USB, I formatted it to EXT4 and set the mount point as root "/", and it installed. GRUB was automatically installed on the 500GB SSD with Windows 10, and I can easily switch between the two.

Thanks for the help guys!