Maximized Networking Help

Mundlier

Here is my problem. My gaming PC is on the second floor of my house. My Xbox is in the basement. Due to personal, complicated reasons, my router is on the second floor with my PC. I only get 15-20mbps connection in the basement while upstairs I get a solid 150mbps connection.

I need to somehow get a solid connection to the basement without moving my router or drilling in holes, etc. I would like to spend no more than $30-40.

If someone can find an easy fix, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would suggest that you use a powerline adapter. You can get them on amazon for like $50 and they are a solid solution for you if you don't want to drill holes and run cables.

why is everyone so worried about drilling a few small holes in there house...if you do it right...you won't even see the holes

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Depending on things very specific to your house, you may not have to drill holes to run wires.  Some people will feed ethernet cables through the heating vents...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

& depending on some countries, landlords & agreements if you're renting, you maybe restricted & might simply not be allowed to drill too.

I second the power socket extender solution - it sounds a good fit to me.

What are your requirements for each connection? What are your priorties? Consistency(VOIP)? Latency(Gaming)? Throughput? If you are requirments are to get low latency 150Mbps to both the Xbox and gaming PC, I just don't think you can on your budget. The cheapest powerline I found was 22$, you would need 3 to make your arrangement work=66$ plus what ever shipping costs to your area. How well it works, or even if it works depends on how the different floors are powered. If they each have their own panel, it may not work, and you certainly won't get a good connection.

The only thing I can think of that would cost 30-40 is a very cheap wifi repeater, but that is going to slow down your Wifi and add a lot of latency for gaming. Even buying Ethernet and getting the connectors and tools would cost more then 30-40. No offense, but I think your needs are bigger then your budget. Either reduce needs or increase budget.

PS. We talking 30-40$ US?