Dell S2716DG 144Hz option not available

Dianiko
Go to solution Solved by Dianiko,

Alright, kind of good news for all the people who might be reading this in the future! If you own the Dell monitor, you most likely wont have to return it.

I was reading a thread in a German Dell support forum and an official Dell staff member talked to nvidia support regarding this 144Hz problem only a week ago.

German Source

Quote from Nvidia:

"I've discussed this issue with development and after some research on the specification this is expected due to HW limitation. The 2560x1440@144Hz resolution would require a pixel clock of 586Mhz. The GeForce GTX 770 max pixel clock is 540Mhz. You'll need a GTX 980 class GPU, which has a higher pixel clock, in order to support the 2560x1440@144hz resolution. Let me know if you have any further questions."

Apparantly it is a problem with the pixel clock speed of the GTX 770, so if you happen to own a 770, 680 or anything below 586Mhz pixel clock you wont be able to run 1440p with 144Hz...

Maybe this will help people with similar problems in the future.

Best regards

Hey guys,

before I finally decided to start my own thread about this issue, I looked up tons of different posts on potential solutions regarding my problem.

None (!) of them worked so far as people were using a wrong cable or a driver reinstall fixed the problem...

But first things first:

I recently bought the Dell S2716DG Monitor, 27" 144Hz @1440p with G-Synch.

My System:

i7-3770 stock clock

16GB DDR3 1600MhZ RAM

2x GTX 770 4GB edition from gigabyte running in SLI, driver up to date with 361.91

The Dell is connected with the top GPU using the  Displayport cable that came with the monitor.

Additionally im using a secondary 60Hz monitor from Acer, connected to the same GPU via normal DVI cable (also came with the Acer monitor)

I can only chose a max refreshrate of 120Hz in the nvidia control panel for the Dell monitor, 144Hz is not available.

I cant set a custom resolution/refreshrate of 144Hz either using the control panel, it says the test was successfull but it wont show up in the list after.

- There is no setting in the monitor menu to change the refreshrate to 144Hz,

however the on screen display says that its currently running at 2560x1440 120Hz (Maximum 2560x1440 144Hz)

- Trying to change the refreshrate in windows has the same results, 120Hz is max.

- Lowering the resolution to see if 144Hz becomes available wont do the trick either, still no 144Hz.

- SLI on/off and G-Synch on/off, doesnt make a difference. Disconnecting the 60Hz Acer and running the Dell alone doesnt help either.

- Clean reinstall of drivers, trying the lower gpu, unplugging / replugging the monitor, several reboots, different outdated drivers... none of these helped so far,

no clue what I could do, to get it working.

If i force a refreshrate of 144Hz for the Dell with an external tool, my drivers crash and all monitors go black. Have to restart the computer without the Dell hooked up and delete the custom change in refreshrate, or else none of my monitors would turn on.

If i left any important info you need, let me know about it. Im currently at work (for the next 6 hours) and dont have access to my home PC tho.

Really hope someone can help me out on this, Im was trying the whole weekend already.

Greetings o/

did you tried unplugging one of your graphicscards yet? not just disabling sli.

also force your gpu/s to run at gen3 in bios.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Perhaps this topic helps.

it's the same monitor and only 1 gtx770

PC1: i7-6850K, X99A godlike gaming carbon, 1080 ROG strix a8g, 4x8GB fury black, 120GB 840 evo, 3TB seagate, 5TB ext

PC2: HP Pavillion G6 i7-3612QM, AMD 7670M 1GB, 2x4GB sodimm, 250GB 850 evo & 750GB Hitachi HDD

PC3: Raspberry PI2

Phone: Galaxy S5 (G900F)

Watch: Galaxy gear (V700)

Tablet: Samsung Tab E 9.6 (SM-T 500)

13 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

did you tried unplugging one of your graphicscards yet? not just disabling sli.

also force your gpu/s to run at gen3 in bios.

I didnt unplug one of them yet, no. Assuming if it would work for some weird reason then, thats still not what i want, right?

Thanks for the Thread dinnozo, i read that already and was hoping that I dont have to return it :/

4 minutes ago, Dianiko said:

I didnt unplug one of them yet, no. Assuming if it would work for some weird reason then, thats still not what i want, right?

Thanks for the Thread dinnozo, i read that already and was hoping that I dont have to return it :/

well by unplugging it you can at least make sure if the monitor works or if this is a problem with your whole setup. maybe try it on a friends pc too.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

8 hours ago, Minsekt said:

well by unplugging it you can at least make sure if the monitor works or if this is a problem with your whole setup. maybe try it on a friends pc too.

Back home and tried running both cards on their own, unlugging the other, didnt work either.

Also found an old forum post on which somebody mentioned a working driver for 144Hz.

GeForce 337.88 from May 2014, tried that one again with both cards SLI on and off, only one card at a time, only the Dell etc etc..

Kinda lost all hope to get that monitor running on 144Hz, didnt try on a friends Computer yet.

I highly doubt that, if i get the same Monitor again, that it will suddenly work on 144Hz, what are the odds? Or am i wrong here?

I was looking at the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q instead but im kinda worried about the panel issues a lot of people seem to have.

Can anyone recommend a similar product with the same stats?

- 27"

- 2560x1440

- 144Hz

- G-Synch

~600 - 700€ max

Would highly appreciate that, thank you in advance.

Edit: GPU's running in Gen3 aswell now, as recommended above

Alright, kind of good news for all the people who might be reading this in the future! If you own the Dell monitor, you most likely wont have to return it.

I was reading a thread in a German Dell support forum and an official Dell staff member talked to nvidia support regarding this 144Hz problem only a week ago.

German Source

Quote from Nvidia:

"I've discussed this issue with development and after some research on the specification this is expected due to HW limitation. The 2560x1440@144Hz resolution would require a pixel clock of 586Mhz. The GeForce GTX 770 max pixel clock is 540Mhz. You'll need a GTX 980 class GPU, which has a higher pixel clock, in order to support the 2560x1440@144hz resolution. Let me know if you have any further questions."

Apparantly it is a problem with the pixel clock speed of the GTX 770, so if you happen to own a 770, 680 or anything below 586Mhz pixel clock you wont be able to run 1440p with 144Hz...

Maybe this will help people with similar problems in the future.

Best regards