Computer Engineering Course Final Project

Not a lot of posts here, so I thought I should post something just for fun.

I'm currently a student studying computer engineering at UIC, and as a final project for a class last semester I made two LCD mini-games. 

I wired and programmed the whole thing myself over the course of a month or so.

2 minutes ago, FIN516 said:

I'm currently a student studying computer engineering at UIC, and as a final project for a class last semester I made two LCD mini-games. 

Why can´t I have the time to do cool shit like this? 

Just now, FIN516 said:

Did your school think it was a bomb at first?

Edited by LittleCarrot
+ Grammar

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Did you school think it was a bomb at first?

Now that you mention it, I actually did carry it around in a briefcase...

Case.thumb.jpg.858155f79e23c8ee41794db9a

4th Year 2nd semester Computer Engineering student Here. Well done Great Project!! 

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

20 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

It seriously looks like a bomb. Wear a turban and post with results.

You could add a game about ... questionable activities too :D

/s

But seriously don't do any of that - terrible idea :)  Great project though!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 22.2.2016 at 2:27 AM, FIN516 said:

- snip -

Yes school projecs can be a lot of fun. Good work!

We made an arcade Pacman simulator on an FPGA:

56cccc06ebdd2_2014-11-1116.48.53.thumb.j

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

On 2/22/2016 at 8:47 PM, FIN516 said:

Now that you mention it, I actually did carry it around in a briefcase...

Case.thumb.jpg.858155f79e23c8ee41794db9a

Does your name happen to be Ahmed Muhammed?

hey, i'm going tu university next year and i was accepted in computer engineering. But i don't really know what you do in computer engineering. What do you study in this programm? is it fun/cool/interesting?

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

12 hours ago, Epiclol86 said:

hey, i'm going tu university next year and i was accepted in computer engineering. But i don't really know what you do in computer engineering. What do you study in this programm? is it fun/cool/interesting?

I'm not in it but I know a little about what they do I think.  Our university recently got rid of the computer engineering as a major (like mechanical, chemical, etc.) and made it a minor of electrical engineering, which I think makes a lot of sense because that's what it is - designing and building circuits, with more/specialized knowledge relevant to computer hardware.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 hours ago, Epiclol86 said:

I'm not sure what it's like at other schools, but I guess I can share a bit about what I've learned in the past two and a half years. 

At my university they lump computer and electrical engineering courses together, because the two majors have a lot of overlap; Commonly refereed to as ECE (Electrical and Computer Engineering). 

At the very beginning, I didn't take many ECE courses, because they required a lot of math and some physics first. They also throw in a couple of programming courses that involve the basics up to data structures.

Some of the earliest ECE classes I took covered things like basic logic design and circuit analysis. 

The following semesters covered more computer engineering specific topics like assembly, and computer organization. I made this project for a class called microprocessor based design. All of these courses involve a lot of programming. 

Two of the three ECE courses I am taking right now are more electrical engineering in nature. Things like non-linear electronics, and signal processing.

To be honest, these topics don't interest me that much, but I know a bunch of people who love it.

I enjoyed the topics I mentioned earlier a lot more, but I know a lot of people that hate it. 

That said, ECE is definitely not for everyone. A lot of friends that started ECE with me have since changed majors. The math courses at the beginning can get pretty difficult and the ECE courses are no easier. But, if you can get past that, there are some truly amazing things that you can learn along the way. 

P.S. If there is a specific topic I mentioned that you'd like to know more about, I'd be more than happy to give you more details about it. 

4 hours ago, FIN516 said:

-snip-

there's just something i was wondering about: what programming knowledge do you need before entering the programm? Does a basic knowledge of python and basic suffice or do you reccomend i learn C or C++ before starting?

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

When I started, I had a pretty good grasp on the basics. I never learned python, so I can't really say how helpful that might be, but it can't hurt. 

I'm not sure if your school will have you learn C, C++ or something else completely. My university had me take one course in C++ and another in C.

Nevertheless, it would definitely be useful to learn either one. I learned C++ first which is considered easier of the two, but C wasn't too difficult either. 

This website was an amazing resource for helping me learn C. 

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/cprogramming/ 

Just as a note, the project above was done entirely in C. 

Python can be extremely helpful, as well as marketable. Its one of the primary languages we use in data analysis, along with R. If you have the time, Udacity has a great free class on Python and Coursera has a great one for data analysis in R.

On 2/22/2016 at 1:27 AM, FIN516 said:

May I ask what grade you achieved for this?

On 3/6/2016 at 5:46 PM, Shahin said:

May I ask what grade you achieved for this?

Final score was 125/100.

The professor let us decide what to do as a final project. We were required to include several features that we covered over the semester. 

I chose to make some mini-games. During the proposal, it was decided that I would create 2 fully functional games; any more would have been a bonus. 

I only ended up programming those two games, but he was pretty impressed by the wiring, so that might be a part of why it went above 100. 

I bought a nice kit of wires and used them throughout the semester for lab projects. 

Here's a picture from one of the projects.

LatchCircuit.thumb.jpg.95d8bc91486365a75

On 3/9/2016 at 8:58 PM, FIN516 said:

Final score was 125/100.

The professor let us decide what to do as a final project. We were required to include several features that we covered over the semester. 

I chose to make some mini-games. During the proposal, it was decided that I would create 2 fully functional games; any more would have been a bonus. 

I only ended up programming those two games, but he was pretty impressed by the wiring, so that might be a part of why it went above 100. 

I bought a nice kit of wires and used them throughout the semester for lab projects. 

Here's a picture from one of the projects.

LatchCircuit.thumb.jpg.95d8bc91486365a75

I got admin access to a school computer. I tried to make an account called "backdoor." Let's say I didn't get a 10/10 on my actions.

- Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

I got admin access to a school computer. I tried to make an account called "backdoor." Let's say I didn't get a 10/10 on my actions.

pfft just boot up linux and you can do whatever you want.  I replaced explorer.exe with a modified version I made so the start menu said "stop", and the boot screen said "windows xp hacked edition" xD

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

pfft just boot up linux and you can do whatever you want.  I replaced explorer.exe with a modified version I made so the start menu said "stop", and the boot screen said "windows xp hacked edition" xD

Going to act like a dumbass tom. Saying that I felt there was too many restrictions and was trying to download Minecraft.

- Albert Einstein