PC build$1000 USD Gaming

daviden
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,
4 minutes ago, daviden said:

I already have a headset and mouse, and the keyboard is not included in the cost because I will take care of that separately, so I need Windows and a monitor

$1004:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($274.99 @ Newegg)  <<or a GTX 970
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: NZXT RF-FN142-RB 50.0 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($6.99 @ Directron)  <<Front Intake
Monitor: Acer R240HY bidx 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $973.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-21 14:25 EST-0500

9 minutes ago, daviden said:

Wow thanks for this, I wasn't really looking into water cooling mostly because I've never done water cooling before and water= $1000 computer is a big no-no for me lol, but I think I'll go with you build and that monitor. Also I already have 4 4GB DDR3 Crucial memory, would that work with the motherboard?

17 minutes ago, Themule08 said:

I would do the following if I was in your position to get the most out of your build for years to come as well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k67VhM

I was kind of in the same boat as you when I just did my refresh on my current computer coming in, so I did a ton of research the last few weeks.

Best case for the money is Phanteks line of computer cases, I just bought their Primo but I want huge expandability.  But the one I set up for your rig which would be perfect is the mid tower for you.  Full cable management, room for a open loop water cooling system in the future with bracets already set up.  The CPU water all in one system on your list will fit perfect on the top of the CPU case, it is built for that.

All you have to do is add a monitor to the list below, and you will have a great computer for 3 to 5 years no problem.  The gtx 970 is by far the best money to performance from my research.  I would of gotten this for my new build, but decided to stick with crossfire HD 7950s.

Go with the new Skylake i5!  The 6600k is so worth the cash!  I bought the original i5-2500k about 4 to 5 years ago, and it is still strong today and been overclocked to 4.3ghz for 5 years.  The new Skylake is suppose to be a throwback to the old sandybridge with stability and pure overclocking heaven. 

The motherboard is a little more expensive than what others are suggesting, but this is a solid motherboard with ability to overclock like crazy.  

I added in a CPU all in one water cooling system, this is up to you if you want to use that or do an air cpu cooler.  You can save 60 bucks by air, but up to you if you want to really have a safe CPU.

As for monitors...I had 3 at one time in eyefinity and it was cool, but not that great for games to be honest.  

In my new setup I am going with a Korean QNIX QX2710 Multi TRUE10 27"  since I do not have DVI-D outputs on my GPU.  It is a $200 monitor..that if it was not Korean would be $400 to $500 in USA for an acer.  You can do research on Korean monitors yourself, but I wanted  2560x1440 resolution without having to cost a fortune.  You can also overclock the monitors to higher hrz if you really wanted to!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311421983600?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

With a 27" monitor at that resolution you won't want 3 monitors!  I would buy a cheap monitor or use an old one you have to keep an eye on your computer when you are playing games.  I usually run all the normal programs gpuz, cpuz, hwmonitor, etc...

This is my two cents into your build but for $1244 with the 27" monitor that is a hell of a rig for many years to come.  If at any time you need to update to get more power you can add another 970, since the board is SLI ready.  The 970 SLI very well and scale correctly from what I have read for users, but take that for a grain of salt.  Personally I would wait a year or two and look at the new Nividia Pascal.

Either way hope this helps..shoot questions or areas I might be able to give you insight in.

so Themul08 you think this will do what I need? remember that I want to play that one intensive game Elite: Dangerous

7 minutes ago, daviden said:

sorry I meant water + $1000

So the new Skylake requires ddd4.. but this is just another future proofing for your build.  They have not been able to use ddr4 to all its capabilities now, the new GPU from Nividia from what I have read will use the Skylake CPU better.  I do like the ability to overclock CPU and GPU for future proofing and performance of current titles.  The all in one CPU cooler is safe, and actually warrantied through the company if it leaks they replace the parts.  I have used air to cool my CPU in the past and it works, but I want to push this I5 to 4.5ghz and run at 49 to 50degrees at full load for a long period of time.

14 minutes ago, daviden said:

so Themul08 you think this will do what I need? remember that I want to play that one intensive game Elite: Dangerous

I think I'm gonna take out the liquid cooler because I think that air cooling is good enough for now and also it will save some money, I will also replace the SSD with a 1TB SSD maybe? because I can with the computer being air cooled, would this build work?

The system will be strong enough for a lot of games you will want to run..will it play Witcher at ultra setting at that resolution no.. but not many setups will..

Well do some research.. a good CPU cooler air will still cost you some good cash.. I debated between the two for a little while.. I decided to do the CPU cooler was the way to go for a few extra bucks..  

But.. with what you just said about the SSD with a 1tb..  I would do a good 500gb like a Samsung 950..and a 250 in raid..  if you were going to spend that money..

Ohh.. the 6600k does not come with a stock CPU cooler.. they stopped doing that because people would use it and destroy their cpus.. So you need some form of cooling for it..

Let me rework something for you... give me a few seconds

3 minutes ago, Themule08 said:

Ohh.. the 6600k does not come with a stock CPU cooler.. they stopped doing that because people would use it and destroy their cpus.. So you need some form of cooling for it..

Let me rework something for you... give me a few seconds

yes, I noticed that, also you did not include the cost for the OS or the monitor

2 minutes ago, daviden said:

yes, I noticed that, also you did not include the cost for the OS or the monitor

Ok, let me start again:

What i5 do you have?  Even a Sandybridge is very capable of running current games.

Do you need Windows?

Do you need a monitor?

Do you need a keyboard and mouse?

Do you need Speakers/headset?

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Ok, let me start again:

What i5 do you have?  Even a Sandybridge is very capable of running current games.

I was going with Intel

Just now, daviden said:

I was going with Intel

So you do not already own an i5? 

Do you own a GTX 970?

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

So you do not already own an i5? 

Do you own a GTX 970?

the only thing I own at the moment is the ram I may not end up using, its 4 4GB DDR3 Crucial memory, so no, I don't have the 970 or the CPU, I was just planing on using it in the build

Just now, daviden said:

the only thing I own at the moment is the ram I may not end up using, its 4 4GB DDR3 Crucial memory

So you have only RAM.

You need a PC AND a monitor AND keyboard/mouse AND Windows AND Speakers/headset?  All for $1000?

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

So you have only RAM.

You need a PC AND a monitor AND keyboard/mouse AND Windows AND Speakers/headset?  All for $1000?

I already have a headset and mouse, and the keyboard is not included in the cost because I will take care of that separately, so I need Windows and a monitor

$1004:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($274.99 @ Newegg)  <<or a GTX 970
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: NZXT RF-FN142-RB 50.0 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($6.99 @ Directron)  <<Front Intake

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

$1004:

This looks like a winner I just need to know what the approximate gaming limit of this is so I can judge wether or not it will work for my purposes, the most intensive game I would be running on this would be, if you haven't seen it earlier, Elite: Dangerous

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q8rNRB

That would be with larger SSD.. and lower cost CPU Cooler.. 

The monitor does not have pricing just assume 200 bucks from that ebay link.. 

The OS is 20 bucks on reddit so I don't really include them.. but it is in there.. Shit if you know anyone with an old windows 7 key they are not using that can be used for windows 10 now.

You could also do a hybrid hard drive which is a nice alternative.. You can get a 1tb or 2tb for under 100 bucks.. I have never used one.. but from what I have read and user reviews they are actually quite nice.. might be a nice option until M.2 gets cheaper..

I am holding off on SSD purchases till M.2 gets cheaper.. that is the ultimate option in my opinion.. uses pci slot no cables and 32gb transfer speeds.  Just a little to expensive per gb right now

8 minutes ago, daviden said:

This looks like a winner I just need to know what the approximate gaming limit of this is so I can judge wether or not it will work for my purposes, the most intensive game I would be running on this would be, if you haven't seen it earlier, Elite: Dangerous

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=441&game=Elite%3A+Dangerous&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i5-6500+3.2GHz&gc_make=ATI&gc_deriv=Radeon+R9+390+PowerColor+PCS%2B+8GB+Edition&ram=8&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

6 minutes ago, Themule08 said:

You could also do a hybrid hard drive which is a nice alternative.. You can get a 1tb or 2tb for under 100 bucks.. I have never used one.. but from what I have read and user reviews they are actually quite nice.. might be a nice option until M.2 gets cheaper..

I am holding off on SSD purchases till M.2 gets cheaper.. that is the ultimate option in my opinion.. uses pci slot no cables and 32gb transfer speeds.  Just a little to expensive per gb right now

I was just thinking about that, I was just going to get a 1TB harddrive for now, and later on upgrade to hybrid or even just add an SSD, also I was looking at the compatibility notes and I wanted to ask you you think that would be a problem

3 minutes ago, daviden said:

I was just thinking about that, I was just going to get a 1TB harddrive for now, and later on upgrade to hybrid or even just add an SSD

No, you would be doing it wrong.  The SSD will hold the OS.  You get the SSD first and get Windows sorted out first.  Then you buy the 1TB hard drive and just pop it in.

Also, @Themule08 's build is $180 over and the monitor's price is not even included.

I was just thinking about that, I was just going to get a 1TB harddrive for now, and later on upgrade to hybrid or even just add an SSD

Just grab a hybrid they are faster than a regular one.. 

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

No, you would be doing it wrong.  The SSD will hold the OS.  You get the SSD first and get Windows sorted out first.  Then you buy the 1TB hard drive and just pop it in.

Also, @Themule08 's build is $180 over and the monitor's price is not even included.

ok I will still use the SSD and I am aware of that, that is why I only going to use it a a secondary option

Well good luck with your build.. You have all the info you need... take some from me and him... and make your system the way you want..

I would suggest the phanteks case though... they are beautiful and offer great value for the money!