Predator 360 + Corsair SP120

Just now, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

So I am going to be buying a Predator 360mm from ekwb and some Corsair SP120 at 2000 rpm. What do you guys think?

Think about what? The cooler? The fans?

The cooler: great performer, but expensive.

The fans: decent, but really loud. I know from experience. Get Noctua NF-F12s instead.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

13 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

So I am going to be buying a Predator 360mm from ekwb and some Corsair SP120 at 2000 rpm. What do you guys think?

great cooler, but those fans are loud at that rpm. like said above, its better to get noctuas instead.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

In case you needed further influence to not buy those corsair branded jet-engines, the aio itself is amazing, and comes with already very... very good fans. EK's vardar are some of the best radiator fans out there, but if you still for what ever reason NEED something else, go for noctua's nf-f12's or some gentle typhoons.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some corsair products, and for the cheap they can make some excellent stuff... but their fans are garbage. They can move air at a reasonable pace, but all of their fans save their "quiet" edition for 50% higher price are just too loud. For the same price you can get far better fans that will work far better for radiators.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

50 minutes ago, Atmos said:

In case you needed further influence to not buy those corsair branded jet-engines, the aio itself is amazing, and comes with already very... very good fans. EK's vardar are some of the best radiator fans out there, but if you still for what ever reason NEED something else, go for noctua's nf-f12's or some gentle typhoons.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some corsair products, and for the cheap they can make some excellent stuff... but their fans are garbage. They can move air at a reasonable pace, but all of their fans save their "quiet" edition for 50% higher price are just too loud. For the same price you can get far better fans that will work far better for radiators.

Will the Vardar fans really have better cooling performance than the corsair sp120s?

1 hour ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Will the Vardar fans really have better cooling performance than the corsair sp120s?

Yes, but we are talking a couple of C under load.

Don't get very high rpm fan if you will never use it at that fan speed. The noise at 2,000+rpm is unbearable, even when wearing headphones.

Yes, you can reduce the fan speed. But some fan control programs and in BIOS will not let you drop the speed low enough to remain quiet in idle with very high rpm fan. Moreover, such as Asus fan control, will make the fan run 100% when the CPU hits 75C. If you have very high rpm fans, they all go ballistic, you're fucked.

10 minutes ago, Deli said:

Yes, but we are talking a couple of C under load.

Don't get very high rpm fan if you will never use it at that fan speed. The noise at 2,000+rpm is unbearable, even when wearing headphones.

Yes, you can reduce the fan speed. But some fan control programs and in BIOS will not let you drop the speed low enough to remain quiet in idle with very high rpm fan. Moreover, such as Asus fan control, will make the fan run 100% when the CPU hits 75C. If you have very high rpm fans, you're fucked.

I usually just make custom fan curves with whatever program I can get my hands on but I plan to buy a fan controller so I can put them at whatever speed I want.

1 hour ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

I usually just make custom fan curves with whatever program I can get my hands on but I plan to buy a fan controller so I can put them at whatever speed I want.

We discussed in another thread already. Personally I never notice motor noise from Noctua fans in low speed, ever their 2,000rpm PPC version. However, not the same can be said for Corsair fans. Yes, I had SP120 performance edition before. The motor noise is very noticeable when you drop the fan speed below 1,000rpm.

5 hours ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Yup, as far as fans for radiators goes there are three that are simply top tier for acoustics and performance; EK's Vardars, Gentle Typhoons, and Noctua's NF-F12's are regarded as the best fans for radiators period.

They are all very quiet, all perform better than pretty much everything while maintaining that silence, but unfortunately don't always look amazing (I'm looking at you noctua, with your vomit tan and diarrhea brown color palette.) and carry a bit of a price premium. Since you're getting three free freaking vardars with the predator 360, there's literally nothing you can upgrade to rofl. You're already getting basically the best radiators fans out there, pretty much anything else will be a bit of a downgrade.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

5 hours ago, Deli said:

We discussed in another thread already. Personally I never notice motor noise from Noctua fans in low speed, ever their 2,000rpm PPC version. However, not the same can be said for Corsair fans. Yes, I had SP120 performance edition before. The motor noise is very noticeable when you drop the fan speed below 1,000rpm.

Ok well it seems that you just put it way more in depth than the last few. Well looks like I will be sticking with the vardar fans.

9 hours ago, Atmos said:

Yup, as far as fans for radiators goes there are three that are simply top tier for acoustics and performance; EK's Vardars, Gentle Typhoons, and Noctua's NF-F12's are regarded as the best fans for radiators period.

They are all very quiet, all perform better than pretty much everything while maintaining that silence, but unfortunately don't always look amazing (I'm looking at you noctua, with your vomit tan and diarrhea brown color palette.) and carry a bit of a price premium. Since you're getting three free freaking vardars with the predator 360, there's literally nothing you can upgrade to rofl. You're already getting basically the best radiators fans out there, pretty much anything else will be a bit of a downgrade.

Honestly, I wouldn't categorize the NF-F12 with the GT and Vardar fans. The NF-A14 sure, it's a really good radiator fan. But the NF-F12 is blown out of proportion by hype. There are a lot of fans better performing at the same noise levels. 

1 hour ago, VSG said:

Honestly, I wouldn't categorize the NF-F12 with the GT and Vardar fans. The NF-A14 sure, it's a really good radiator fan. But the NF-F12 is blown out of proportion by hype. There are a lot of fans better performing at the same noise levels. 

Rofl, you know theres a reason that they're so popular right? despite their utter garbage aesthetic.

The nf-f12 is straight up one of the best fans you can get without going out of your way on some crazy journey across the web to find some super discrete and small-time fab's fans who are a fraction of a percent better at cooling for the same noise level. There's also a reason that so many reviewers and benchmarkers only use nf-f12's on their rads for test benches.

8 hours ago, Atmos said:

Rofl, you know theres a reason that they're so popular right? despite their utter garbage aesthetic.

The nf-f12 is straight up one of the best fans you can get without going out of your way on some crazy journey across the web to find some super discrete and small-time fab's fans who are a fraction of a percent better at cooling for the same noise level. There's also a reason that so many reviewers and benchmarkers only use nf-f12's on their rads for test benches.

What would you like in terms of evidence? Perhaps my tests: 

http://thermalbench.com/2015/02/04/noctua-nf-f12-industrialppc-2000-pwm-120mm-fan/

http://thermalbench.com/2015/03/04/noctua-nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm-120mm-fan/

Or perhaps the even more independent tests I had done on a industry standard Longwin for P-Q measurements at various fan speeds and facing various airflow restrictions that matched my own results? 

I am just telling you what many people (reviewers and users alike) are finding out. But I don't want to waste my time trying to convince anyone who doesn't want to.