2 Stage Linux Based Console Eater

zactacular

I want build to build a Linux based computer, capable of medium~high graphics 1080p gaming and light video editing work for under the cost of a next gen console+a year of its online subscription. (roughly $450 US  in SW USA) Some more information on this build. This will not be my primary gaming rig, so it doesn't need to run every AAA title or even at high settings, as it will primarily be used for F2P games like Team Fortress, Hearthstone, DOTA, and Mech Warrior Online. This machine is mainly for A. giving me a separate computer to explore and play with Linux on (I have had bad experiences with dual booting in the past and prefer the idea of a stand alone machine) B. Show my roommate that he doesn't have to sink $1000 dollars into a machine to ascend passed his buggy, low def Xbone. C. Give me a more portable machine for "LAN" parties with my brother. There are, of course, a few catches besides just the budget of $450 US after rebates, I am funding this through a combination of my Tax Refund and the manufacturer rebates from my initial build (Not a single claim denied!) As such, I will be building the computer with a GPU coming a few weeks later. The second catch is I happen to have an unused 120 gig Kingston SSD laying around! The third catch is I am completely decided on the case, I saw it at Fry's the other day, and it's perfect! 

The Build Idea So Far

Some reasoning for part choices that might not make sense 

• CPU: initially I wanted to do a Pentium g3258, but I am confused as to whether they can still be overclocked to ridiculous speeds without offsetting the cost savings by needing $150 dollar  motherboard, the FX 6300 looks very cost effective
  • Motherboard: it was the only one with USB 3.0 headers and onboard graphics. Would an APU and a different board for similar cost be a better idea? Or will it set me back in the long run? I don't expect to do any gaming from the onboard graphics, just web surfing and setting up the computer for the later GPU install. 
  • GPU: mostly a place holder for the build log demonstrating the right price point. My understanding is AMD driver support on Linux is quite poor and NVidia cards are better suited for any possible video editing work

Why don't you try to find some cheapo server grade MoBo and CPU on Ebay?

Here:

MoBo: ~50$, Dell Precision LGA1366

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=231843891803

GPU: ~80$, GTX 950

http://m.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-950-SC-Mini-ITX-NVIDIA-Graphics-Card-2GB-GDDR5-DX12-PCI-OC-SLI-ready-/272137930053?nav=SEARCH

RAM: ~20$, some Hynix DDR3 ECC

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151886245271

CPU: ~5$ (not a typo) Intel Xeon Quad Core @2.4GHz

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=361478619957

Case with PSU: ~30$

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-COMPUTER-CASE-WITH-POWER-SUPPLY-400W-20-24-PIN-SIDE-WINDOW-FREE-POST-/262098910266?nav=SEARCH

All that for ~150-200$. Pretty damn good.

EDIT: With shipping it's about 350$. Still pretty damn good.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Is this a machine that you will potentially upgrade in the future?  Because in that case I would go with an i3 setup if possible.. An i3 would actually in most cases be better in gaming, and an i3 to an i7 is a fantastic upgrade, where as a fx6300 to.. fx8350 isn't as spectacular.

But if you're not going to bother upgrading it ever, I think the fx6300 would do better for your 'light video editing work' 

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

2 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Why don't you try to find some cheapo server grade MoBo and CPU on Ebay?

Could work i managed to get a 4690k and mobo for 300(knocked off around 100 from new) both on amazon.

I hadn't put much thought into upgradability. Since there are no K series i3, will it be fine on stock cooling? Something like This?

Edit: Or This?

4 minutes ago, zactacular said:

I hadn't put much thought into upgradability. Since there are no K series i3, will it be fine on stock cooling? Something like This?

Should be fine on stock cooling,and should keep up with most games perfectly fine.

Friend of mine i'm in teamspeak with alot just built a pc with similar specs except he used a z170 mobo for upgradeability.

So far i haven't heard him mention anything it struggles with.