Skylake i7 -- GTX 980ti -- PCI-E SSD: New Build

brighteyes890
Go to solution Solved by brighteyes890,
1 minute ago, Hunter7263 said:

I might check on the intel 750 booting properly. The intel and samsung both run off of nvme which I heard that X99 is hit or miss with booting from them. I could be wrong but its definitely something that should be checked on.

I think truthfully I will stick with the z170 board and the 6700k anyway.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

?

Are you going to need a wifi card? Just something a lot of people forget. Also consider 2 3tb HDD's instead that way all your data isnt on one drive in case of failure. That's just me though I wont go above what I cant also easily duplicate on an exterior drive. I have a backup drive for each one I have in my computer.

Just now, Hunter7263 said:

Are you going to need a wifi card? Just something a lot of people forget. Also consider 2 3tb HDD's instead that way all your data isnt on one drive in case of failure. That's just me though I wont go above what I cant also easily duplicate on an exterior drive. I have a backup drive for each one I have in my computer.

Will be using just a cheapo dual band USB because I am getting wired internet to my computer relatively soon! The dual HD is a good idea, although I have a file server at home anyway - but still I will investigate it. Thanks for all your help though, the build looks good in the final list I put up?

The power supply is solid and will power the system and everything is compatible. Honestly once you lock down a chipset and price point there isnt much variation anymore.

I would still pick the 950 pro but again thats preference. 

Just now, Hunter7263 said:

The power supply is solid and will power the system and everything is compatible. Honestly once you lock down a chipset and price point there isnt much variation anymore.

I would still pick the 950 pro but again thats preference. 

It's just the heat spreading out over a larger area and I just think I prefer the layout but I totally understand where you are coming from. Again, thanks for the help.

7 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

The only thing I would argue is that the 6700k can very easily hit 4.7 or 4.8 ghz if we are overclocking anyway. IIRC the Haswell E chips were really dependent on the silicon lottery, far more anyway than skylake chips are. How easy is it to make up a 30-40% gap in power vs a stock 5820k per core?

You're right, it does matter on the silicon lottery. That said, OP has a good chance of OC'ing the 5820K to 4.5-4.7GHz, hell, Linus managed to get his to 4.8GHz. Also factor in the CPU cooler, the Kraken is one beast of a AIO. The 6700K will overclock better, due to it being a bit cooler but an 5820K will beat it in a SLI build (I wouldn't surprised if it beat it at 4.5GHz - remember the stock clock of the 5820K will bottleneck those 980Tis).

Tried to skim around on userbenchmark for some average clocks on the 5820K but can't find any. I see where you're coming from though.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder