Raspberry Pi gets audiophile credentials thanks to RaspyFi Linux distro

Ethnod

I WANT!! Oh man, I'm going to see if this could be hooked up to an external drive with a big ass library on it

Raspberry Pi gets audiophile credentials thanks to RaspyFi Linux distro
raspberry-pi.jpg

Raspberry Pi and the Raspbmc OS already make a solid combo as a media center, but if you encounter music-related limitations then it may be worth giving the RaspyFi distro (v1.0) a shot instead. In addition to supporting Apple AirPlay and a range of lossless file types, this audio-centric form of Linux also works with a long list of external USB DACs, including asynchronous playback, so you can avoid relying your Pi's tiny stock DAC and amplifier. RaspyFi's other big feature is that it comes with its own web-based UI (shown in the video after the break), which ought to make it easy to control playback of both local and streamed content (such as web radio or Spotify) from virtually any browser-equipped device on your network. A quick health warning, though: audiophilia is a slippery slope that may subsequently cause you to develop an unhealthy suspicion towards your Pi's standard power supply.

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/raspberry-pi-gets-raspyfi-audiophile-distro

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I want a raspberry pi now...

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I'm starting to think that Linus would like to add this to his system. It can connect to a DAC D: 

Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Whats the difference between running this and connecting the USB DAC straight into your PC?

Whats the difference between running this and connecting the USB DAC straight into your PC?

Among other things this "RaspyFi's other big feature is that it comes with its own web-based UI (shown in the video after the break), which ought to make it easy to control playback of both local and streamed content (such as web radio or Spotify) from virtually any browser-equipped device on your network". There are a good few more examples but its a Raspberry Pi, you can do pretty much anything yuo want. However, I did a bit of searching and found an actual example of what most audiophiles would use it for imo

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/network-players/raspberry-pi-usb-dac-mpd-mpad-great-success

Among other things this "RaspyFi's other big feature is that it comes with its own web-based UI (shown in the video after the break), which ought to make it easy to control playback of both local and streamed content (such as web radio or Spotify) from virtually any browser-equipped device on your network". There are a good few more examples but its a Raspberry Pi, you can do pretty much anything yuo want. However, I did a bit of searching and found an actual example of what most audiophiles would use it for imo

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/network-players/raspberry-pi-usb-dac-mpd-mpad-great-success

That looks so sweet! Now I'm jealous.

already have a Pi but nothing to connect it to and nothing to play

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

already have a Pi but nothing to connect it to and nothing to play

But but but.... use it or loose it bucko ... :P

Seriously, figure out a use for it in your place, get on the web find software that will make it do what you want and get to it. Otherwise its a total waste of amazing tech and you should loose internets for that kind of waste

But but but.... use it or loose it bucko ... :P

Seriously, figure out a use for it in your place, get on the web find software that will make it do what you want and get to it. Otherwise its a total waste of amazing tech and you should loose internets for that kind of waste

when i finally buy a TV i might use it as a HTPC but at the moment is just sits on my xbox

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.