Video Card Help!

XVII

So I successfully booted up my computer and installed windows 7. I haven't downloaded any drivers yet and I went onto the windows media player and it says I need more than 64mb of VRam to play high end videos or videos at all. Does this mean my video card is defective? does this mean my motherboard is defective? Should I RMA or does it mean that I need to install the drivers . If so which ones?

Just now, TheRandomness said:

What are your specs? Where is the video cable plugged into?

4690k, cryorig h7, z97s sli krait, r9 390. and the video cable, Dual link DVI-D is connected into the monitor and the port on the video card

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

no it means you need to install your drivers

the PC is running off of basic graphics 

the video card drivers? or mobo drivers. which one should I download? can you be more specific? also with internet and everything you do when you first boot a computer

1 minute ago, XVII said:

4690k, cryorig h7, z97s sli krait, r9 390. and the video cable, Dual link DVI-D is connected into the monitor and the port on the video card

I would also download GPUZ and CPUZ and note how much RAM they are detecting on your system and graphics card.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

Just now, XVII said:

the video card drivers? or mobo drivers. which one should I download? can you be more specific? also with internet and everything you do when you first boot a computer

All of them...

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

Just now, XVII said:

All you drive both motherboard and GPU. Drivers should be the next thing you do once you finish with the windows installation

1 minute ago, Low_Battery said:

I would also download GPUZ and CPUZ and note how much RAM they are detecting on your system and graphics card.

Okay, I need the ethernet/lan driver for my mobo yes?

7 minutes ago, XVII said:

Okay, I need the ethernet/lan driver for my mobo yes?

This should be a no brainer but either install every single driver on the mainboard installation disk as well as the gpu disk or download everything that is listed for your mainboard at msi's website and the newest amd drivers for the gpu. most drivers are not optional and are there for a reason. just install them before asking for troubleshooting.
Have a nice day and much fun with your new computer 

wow... pretty empty here...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've got a related question.

When I built my computer, I didn't have to install a single driver. Everything just worked. What's up there?

@das affe @ELSknutson

My part list, if it matters: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q3D8pg

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

8 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've got a related question.

When I built my computer, I didn't have to install a single driver. Everything just worked. What's up there?

@das affe @ELSknutson

My part list, if it matters: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q3D8pg

it is supposed to work but not nearly as good as it would with installed drivers. things like audio and ethernet do not always work without drivers.
Under win7 i had to download ethernet drivers with another computer to access teh net
But with win 10 the most crucial drivers are included :)

wow... pretty empty here...