Using Thunderbolt 3 for an eGPU

DaltonM

Is there any PCI enclosures that operate via TB3 yet? I have been looking everywhere for one :(

I am getting the Acer Aspire R7 because it's the only 2in1 convertible with a TB3 port. 

My reason for wanting a TB3 port is to hook an eGPU to my laptop or desktop depending on how/where I want to game. 

I know some were shown off at CES this year, but is anything actually out right now? I found some professional solutions, but they run up $900 USD, and that just isn't worth it at that point I might as well forget it. 

Does anyone see any problems with the 2 machines, 1 gpu? Does anyone current run an eGPU set up? Is this possible today or do I have to wait till later this year for this? 

I don't know of any PCI enclosures that are out from CES yet this year. I've been looking into them myself even though I don't have a laptop capable of thunderbolt. I expected it to have been released already but have really heard nothing. 

As with most of the Thunderbolt Gear, I think it is going to stay very expensive. Manufacturers will probably be saving up that eGPU over TB3 feature for their own gaming laptops supporting that technology before they release anything similar. Just from a business standpoint I think that is the only way this is happening for the consumer market..

You tell me! Who is your daddy and what does he do? 

Systems:

Spoiler

• Silent-WS: 5820k@4,5GHz, 32GB Klevv Cras white DDR4, Titan X Pascal@EKWB, Asus X99 E-WS 3.1, 512GB 950Pro, Caselabs Merlin SM8, Seasonic Prime 850W
  • MacBook: 15" Retina Late 2013
  • Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5"
  • Network Storage: -