Planning a new Build

Turgidgore

I currently do a heavy amount of gaming and am looking to upgrade my current PC. I will be using my case and HDD (not sure if I need a bigger PSU or not, but it's there). As of now these are my specs:

GTX 760 2GB SC

i5-3550k 3.4GHz

Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

1 TB Toshiba HDD

ASROCK Z77 Pro4 MoBo

Corsair CX 600W

Here's what I want to save up and build sometime during the summer hopefully in the attached image, let me know what you guys think :):

build 2.png

Seems ok...

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

I added an image of the new parts I plan on getting...if you can't see it still here they are:

i5-6600k 3.5GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CPU Cooler

MSi Gaming M5 ATX

EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB SC

Corsair CX 750w

Don't buy CX power supplies, especially if you plan to overclock. They're not very good quality. You can buy CX series if you're planning to build a low-end PC, just like mine. For you, I suggest buying something from XFX or Seasonic.

7 minutes ago, Charcoal_ said:

Seems ok...

Do you have any suggestions or changes? I'm open to ideas :)

57 minutes ago, Turgidgore said:

Do you have any suggestions or changes? I'm open to ideas :)

Your build is in compatible.

Reason:

1) You said you are going to keep your old DDR3 RAM but that motherboard is compatible with DDR4 RAM.You can't put DDR3 ram inside DDR4 slot.

2) Skylake processor are not compatible with DDR3, skylake processor are made to run on low volt memory which are DDR4 and DDR3L they operate on 1.2 V but your DDR3 works on 1.5 V . Now you can run DDR3 ram on sky lake processor by choosing DDR3L supported motherboard, and instead of putting DDR3L ram put your old RAM and increase the voltage of memory in BIOS because DDR3L and DDR3 ram are totally same ( including slot ) except DDR3L works on low voltage. But DDR3 will destroy your processor with time, DDR3 is a slow poison for Skylake processor and the reason is DDR3 works on high voltage, So ' please don't use your old memory, intel has already made an report on how DDR3 can destroy you skylake processor with time.

Personal view : If you don't want to destroy your CPU than you should buy a new ram , and if you are going to buy new ram go for DDR4 don't look back to old technology.

If your budget is fixed than i am going to cut the price of motherboard and add a new ram , don't worry i will not cut your performance.

thanks for the headsup, and no my budget isn't locked in at all. I'm very flexible with it

Hmm the water cooled and Hybrid GPU intrigue me. How essential is liquid cooling though?

I cannot see SSD in your build and I think it will improve your performance. 

I was thinking the same thing, I figured I would go all out on this thing...how about a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB?

Not t

7 minutes ago, Turgidgore said:

Hmm the water cooled and Hybrid GPU intrigue me. How essential is liquid cooling though?

Water cooling is not so much important , if you are not going to overclock or overclocking little bit, If  you are seriously going to overclock than water cooling is a good solution. Actually when you are over clocking , it increases the heat output , that time water cooled system really reduces the temperature of your CPU and GPU much better than air cooled. I added water cooled system because you are buying intel K series CPU and Z170 chipset and this two series are used for over clocking.

Just now, Turgidgore said:

I was thinking the same thing, I figured I would go all out on this thing...how about a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB?

nice choice

Yeah I do plan on overclocking this PC. Liquid cooling would be a good solution

CS series of Corsair is not worth the money. Why? Because you can buy a lot better Seasonic (the one I mentioned earlier) with that price.

Yea I swapped it out for the Seasonic you recommended, thanks!