Gpu for my needs

Daniel123dk

I have got back my money from my 980ti as they werent able to help with the coilwhine.

Whatever. 

That made me think, which graphics card is perfect for my needs?

My needs and current specs.

Z97x-soc

Hd7990

240gb samsung evo 850 ssd

8gb ram 

Dark rock pro 3 cpu cooler

The most demanding game I play is battlefield 4 and the screen resolution is 1920x1080 144hz.

I need a graphics card that will push 144fps most of the times and i want a graphics card with the quietest cooler on the market. Im not buying a cooler to mount on my graphics card. It has to come with the cooler!

Sry for my not so good english, bare with me :-)

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | I5-4690k| Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS RX480 |  Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb|

Playstation Pulse Headset Corsair Air 540 | Deiog DY-200 | AOC G2460Fq 

Dell Keyboard | 6x BeQuiet Silent Wings PWM 120mm 

Built  Not Bought

1 minute ago, Daniel123dk said:

I have got back my money from my 980ti as they werent able to help with the coilwhine.

Whatever. 

That made me think, which graphics card is perfect for my needs?

My needs and current specs.

Z97x-soc

Hd7990

240gb samsung evo 850 ssd

8gb ram 

Dark rock pro 3 cpu cooler

The most demanding game I play is battlefield 4 and the screen resolution is 1920x1080 144hz.

I need a graphics card that will push 144fps most of the times and i want a graphics card with the quietest cooler on the market. Im not buying a cooler to mount on my graphics card. It has to come with the cooler!

Sry for my not so good english, bare with me :-)

R9 390X would be perfect for you. 

Just now, N_Bot said:

R9 390X would be perfect for you. 

Please write why it is :-)

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | I5-4690k| Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS RX480 |  Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb|

Built  Not Bought

For your specs and resolution, an R9 390 will be good but since you want to push games to 144fps, you should try getting another 980ti from another board partner. I recommend the Asus Strix 980ti. I built a pc for my friend with that card and I could not hear any coil wine in the Unigine Heaven benchmark.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

4 minutes ago, Daniel123dk said:

Please write why it is :-)

It's high buffer of VRAM is great for pushing more fps. It's just s step down from the 980ti and for 1080p is the perfect card. 

6 minutes ago, N_Bot said:

It's high buffer of VRAM is great for pushing more fps. It's just s step down from the 980ti and for 1080p is the perfect card. 

Ill take that into considering.

Built  Not Bought

16 minutes ago, Goat said:

For your specs and resolution, an R9 390 will be good but since you want to push games to 144fps, you should try getting another 980ti from another board partner. I recommend the Asus Strix 980ti. I built a pc for my friend with that card and I could not hear any coil wine in the Unigine Heaven benchmark.

I am not fan of asus' 3 fan strix cooler design :(

Built  Not Bought

7 minutes ago, Daniel123dk said:

I am not fan of asus' 3 fan strix cooler design :(

Well, they are quiet. I'm using an MSI GTX 970 which is using a dual fan cooler and is quiet, but there is some degree of coil wine in it. I don't know if they are present in the 980ti though.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

Go with the Asus Strix 980 TI. They are dead silent and will be able to run anything you throw at them at that resolution for quite some time. If you get the OC version you'll likely get an ASIC rating of 85+.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Well, they are quiet. I'm using an MSI GTX 970 which is using a dual fan cooler and is quiet, but there is some degree of coil wine in it. I don't know if they are present in the 980ti though.

I had the msi 980ti golden edition and there was coilwhine, might be something with msi then 

Built  Not Bought

23 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Go with the Asus Strix 980 TI. They are dead silent and will be able to run anything you throw at them at that resolution for quite some time. If you get the OC version you'll likely get an ASIC rating of 85+.

Ive been looking at evga, is there any way that it is much quiet too?

Built  Not Bought

Just now, Daniel123dk said:

Ive been looking at evga, is there any way that it is much quiet too?

EVGA cards are definitely solid too. I doubt you would hear much with them. Both brands are great imo.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

3 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

EVGA cards are definitely solid too. I doubt you would hear much with them. Both brands are great imo.

I tried a sapphire r9 390 nitro oc "backplate version". That thing sounds like a jetplane.

Built  Not Bought

1 hour ago, N_Bot said:

Generally the larger amount of VRAM is best utilized for multiple displays and larger resolutions, in my experience. For a single 1080p display, 3-4GB of VRAM is generally plenty.

25 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

I can agree with this. EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0 also comes to mind.

I'm rather fond of my Zotac AMP! Extreme as well, though it had a very minor problem with the fan noise before I defined a custom curve for it. After I did that, it stays really quiet and under full load at 1444 MHz it peaks at about 58C. Normally the fans will start and stop periodically as it moves up and down around a certain temperature threshold. The fans themselves aren't noisy, but the noises from the fans starting and stopping suddenly were very obnoxious.

2 minutes ago, smittywits said:

Generally the larger amount of VRAM is best utilized for multiple displays and larger resolutions, in my experience. For a single 1080p display, 3-4GB of VRAM is generally plenty.

I can agree with this. EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0 also comes to mind.

I'm rather fond of my Zotac AMP! Extreme as well, though it had a very minor problem with the fan noise before I defined a custom curve for it. After I did that, it stays really quiet and under full load at 1444 MHz it peaks at about 58C. Normally the fans will start and stop periodically as it moves up and down around a certain temperature threshold. The fans themselves aren't noisy, but the noises from the fans starting and stopping suddenly were very obnoxious.

Well, I loved my msi 980ti golden edition. When I were playing BF4,  it was reaching 65c and silent. When I were playing csgo, only one of the fans were turning on and the card reached 60c. I call that card a beast.

I want some kind of a inexpensive card. 

How does the gtx 980 do?

Built  Not Bought

How does the gtx 980 do?

I wouldn't call anything over $300 an inexpensive card lol.

I don't have much experience with 980s, most of my friends have gone for 390x, 980Ti, or 970s. I'd wager a 980 is a solid choice for 1080p and 1440p gaming, and you can expect the performance of something right in between a 980Ti and a 970.

1 minute ago, smittywits said:

I wouldn't call anything over $300 an inexpensive card lol.

I don't have much experience with 980s, most of my friends have gone for 390x, 980Ti, or 970s. I'd wager a 980 is a solid choice for 1080p and 1440p gaming, and you can expect the performance of something right in between a 980Ti and a 970.

Well, yeah, ive just heard people saying that the performance of a 980 isnt worth the price point.

Built  Not Bought

Well, yeah, ive just heard people saying that the performance of a 980 isnt worth the price point.

I wouldn't be opposed to that statement. That's why it's not a very popular card when compared to the 970 and 980Ti. The 970 does a similar job at 1080p, and the 980Ti does a better job at 1440p and 4k. It's not a bad card, but if that's the level of performance you want an AMD 390 or 390X would be a cheaper option and an 8GB version of one of those cards would deliver quite well at 1080, 1440, and 4k. I doubt you'll pull 144 fps at 1440/4k though.

See about getting a 390X, it's around 10% slower than a 980 but is generally £70/100 cheaper. Seeing as you only play Battlefield 4 at 1080p you don't need anything more powerful. Or if you don't think that's powerful enough have a look at a Fury (non X), it's performance is inbetween a 980 and the 980Ti.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

7 minutes ago, Daniel123dk said:

Well, I loved my msi 980ti golden edition. When I were playing BF4,  it was reaching 65c and silent. When I were playing csgo, only one of the fans were turning on and the card reached 60c. I call that card a beast.

How does the gtx 980 do?

I would stay away from the 980, it's basically a slightly faster 780TI. You're better off spending a little more and getting the 980TI. Idk about EVGA version but the Strix version can operate at 0db. https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX980TIDC3OC6GD5GAMING/

35 minutes ago, smittywits said:

I wouldn't be opposed to that statement. That's why it's not a very popular card when compared to the 970 and 980Ti. The 970 does a similar job at 1080p, and the 980Ti does a better job at 1440p and 4k. It's not a bad card, but if that's the level of performance you want an AMD 390 or 390X would be a cheaper option and an 8GB version of one of those cards would deliver quite well at 1080, 1440, and 4k. I doubt you'll pull 144 fps at 1440/4k though.

well, i like amd, i really do, but the extra heat that is needed to be dissipated has to get done sometime, and thats the cooler which gets noisy. And yes, i have very much attention to noise.

Built  Not Bought

37 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

See about getting a 390X, it's around 10% slower than a 980 but is generally £70/100 cheaper. Seeing as you only play Battlefield 4 at 1080p you don't need anything more powerful. Or if you don't think that's powerful enough have a look at a Fury (non X), it's performance is inbetween a 980 and the 980Ti.

i could be looking at it yeah.

Built  Not Bought

well, i like amd, i really do, but the extra heat that is needed to be dissipated has to get done sometime, and thats the cooler which gets noisy. And yes, i have very much attention to noise.

There's an AMD Strix card that literally has a 0 DB mode. Also, AMD cards don't run that much hotter than their Nvidia counterparts anymore.

Just now, smittywits said:

There's an AMD Strix card that literally has a 0 DB mode. Also, AMD cards don't run that much hotter than their Nvidia counterparts anymore.

ill take a look at them, but still, im not a huge liker for the 3 fan cooler from ASUS

Built  Not Bought

ill take a look at them, but still, im not a huge liker for the 3 fan cooler from ASUS

Glad you caught that I meant ASUS.. I should probably sleep, too many waking hours is bad for your health.

You could always get some really high CFM case fans and set them to lower RPM levels to reduce noise. You might also consider a liquid cooled card, or custom liquid cooling one yourself. That way you can change the way the card looks and get some nice quiet operation and low temperatures.

It largely comes down to how much you're willing to spend for the performance you're getting.