Flipping psu cables with capacitors?

Mr_Boberto

I started sleeving my EVGA 1000 P2 psu and have run into a little bit of an issue. Some of my cables have these capacitors on the mobo side of the cable. I was able to cover them up with some big heartshrink I had but it's safe to say they really don't look very good since you would see them through the case wimdow. I was curious if it would be OK to flip the wires around so the capacitors are on the psu side of the cable? I figured as long as the cable are plugged into the same hole they came out of  it shouldn't matter which end of the cable is plugged into either side. Thanks for any help guys. Hopefully I can flip them cause that would really clean up the look of the cables. 

As long as they are all on the same wires and same connections it should be good. Be more weary of accidentally shorting out a 83A 12V rail as that could set things on fire if you are unlucky.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

11 minutes ago, Mr_Boberto said:

I started sleeving my EVGA 1000 P2 psu and have run into a little bit of an issue. Some of my cables have these capacitors on the mobo side of the cable. I was able to cover them up with some big heartshrink I had but it's safe to say they really don't look very good since you would see them through the case wimdow. I was curious if it would be OK to flip the wires around so the capacitors are on the psu side of the cable? I figured as long as the cable are plugged into the same hole they came out of  it shouldn't matter which end of the cable is plugged into either side. Thanks for any help guys. Hopefully I can flip them cause that would really clean up the look of the cables. 

Those capacitors are there for decoupling.

They are on the motherboard side so that the voltage drop across the wire is eliminated.

Moving them to the other end would mean that they no longer have this effect, and may as well not be there (there will be caps in the PSU doing this at that end).

The voltage drop across the wire will be minimal, so it's unlikely you'll see any issues from removing them, or swapping the wire to the other end.

However, be weary that your voltage may end up being slightly lower at the motherboard end from doing this (like may be 11.95V instead of 12.00V).

You should be fine. The caps are just there to ensure that the voltage is the same when it reaches the motherboard as when it left the PSU, but the difference will be minimal.

Hope this helps :)

14 minutes ago, NTF5252 said:

As long as they are all on the same wires and same connections it should be good. Be more weary of accidentally shorting out a 83A 12V rail as that could set things on fire if you are unlucky.

Yea the capacitors are attached to 2 wires so u wasn't sure if that would cause a problem or anything.

5 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Those capacitors are there for decoupling.

They are on the motherboard side so that the voltage drop across the wire is eliminated.

Moving them to the other end would mean that they no longer have this effect, and may as well not be there (there will be caps in the PSU doing this at that end).

The voltage drop across the wire will be minimal, so it's unlikely you'll see any issues from removing them, or swapping the wire to the other end.

However, be weary that your voltage may end up being slightly lower at the motherboard end from doing this (like may be 11.95V instead of 12.00V).

You should be fine. The caps are just there to ensure that the voltage is the same when it reaches the motherboard as when it left the PSU, but the difference will be minimal.

Hmmm. I wonder if I should just remove them then. I'm just really would rather not short out everything in my system if something goes wrong lol 

Just now, Mr_Boberto said:

Yea the capacitors are attached to 2 wires so u wasn't sure if that would cause a problem or anything.

Hmmm. I wonder if I should just remove them then. I'm just really would rather not short out everything in my system if something goes wrong lol 

I'd recommend you don't short everything, lol.

The caps will be between the power rail and ground... as you may or may not be able to tell.

Basically, the wires should already be connected where they need to go, so you shouldn't have to splice the wires back together after removing the caps.

Sorry I'm not explaining very well.

freescale_vermafig1.png

Looking at the diagram above, you can see that the capacitor can be removed without the power and ground being disconnected.

This will be the same in your PSU cable.

It really comes down to how confident you are.

Theoretically you can just remove the cap with wire cutters and use electrical tape/heat shrink to cover up any bare conductor.

Don't suppose you could get a picture? It would help show what you would need to do to remove them.

Yea I can put a picture up when I get home. I'm at work right now and forgot to take some pictures last night when I was doing the sleeveing. Appreciate all the help so far bud.

Also keep in mind many capacitors are polarity sensitive. So "flipping" the cables without taking a careful look at them first could cause major issues.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

5 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

I'd recommend you don't short everything, lol.

The caps will be between the power rail and ground... as you may or may not be able to tell.

Basically, the wires should already be connected where they need to go, so you shouldn't have to splice the wires back together after removing the caps.

Sorry I'm not explaining very well.

freescale_vermafig1.png

Looking at the diagram above, you can see that the capacitor can be removed without the power and ground being disconnected.

This will be the same in your PSU cable.

It really comes down to how confident you are.

Theoretically you can just remove the cap with wire cutters and use electrical tape/heat shrink to cover up any bare conductor.

Don't suppose you could get a picture? It would help show what you would need to do to remove them.

20160218_151607.jpg

11 hours ago, Mr_Boberto said:

20160218_151607.jpg

Is that 2 wires per sleeve?

I'd really need to see it with the sleeving removed, but I understand if you don't wanna do that.

You've done a nice job and I'd understand if you don't want to ruin it, so maybe you are best to just swap the cable around.

If you do decide to remove the caps, let us know and we'll run you through it.