Replacing a CPU

cirrenna

I have a Dell Vostro 400 PC with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 GHz.  I have issues with, namely TS 2016, which states that its recommended CPU size should be 2.8Ghz or higher, then surely my current CPU isn't powerful enough. If my assumptions are correct can the CPU be changed, given that this is an older PC?

Likely an old motherboard, so an older chipset.  If your planning on putting a new chip in the same motherboard, check the chipset of your mobo first. Chances are, if its an old pc, you will need a replacement mobo too, which might need new ram, at which point you might just consider building a new pc.

2 minutes ago, cirrenna said:

I have a Dell Vostro 400 PC with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 GHz.  I have issues with, namely TS 2016, which states that its recommended CPU size should be 2.8Ghz or higher, then surely my current CPU isn't powerful enough. If my assumptions are correct can the CPU be changed, given that this is an older PC?

yes you can swap the cpu just need another pc with a LGA 775 socket 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu/#k=13&sort=d2&page=1

I lurk a lot

Yes you can change the CPU, though the pickings are slim - Socket LGA775 CPUs are:

_64.gif

_64.gif

_64.gif

_64.gif

_64.gif

http://ark.intel.com/search?q=LGA775

You can swap the cpu with any other lga 775 cpu.  However,  ignore the clock speed recommendation unless if they are specifically saying 2.8ghz core2quad.  

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Thanks for the advice; certainly food for thought.