4790k continued

I have now reached 4.8Ghz at 1.315v I want to push the clock further. What do I do now? How far should I push the voltage? and What else should I turn on or off in settings/bios?

Personally i see no point. a few 100mhz wont make a difference. 

Magical Pineapples

That sounds pretty good.  I think if you start pushing the voltage too much further you get into a kind of danger zone

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

It actually will surprisingly enough. I just want to get to 5Ghz so I can get a better futurmark score my temps are barely hitting 70c-72c

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

It is cool to say you hit 5ghz. Not that it will be cool, but it's cool. 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Just now, Ryoutarou97 said:

It is cool to say you hit 5ghz. Not that it will be cool, but it's cool. 

So you're saying I should do it?

3 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

1.35v is the ceiling, and if your chip is stable, you could try and push it a bit further. Can you get a stable 5ghz on the voltage you have now? Or will you need to push it further? I wouldn't go much past 1.3v as is though, so it's up to you. If you're willing to risk potential damage for 200mhz, then by all means.

Just now, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Is that like a literal cut off? like certified?

you can go more then 1.35V but 1.35V is the highest you can do if your trying to be safe

Just now, NonaHexa said:

1.35v is the ceiling, and if your chip is stable, you could try and push it a bit further. Can you get a stable 5ghz on the voltage you have now? Or will you need to push it further? I wouldn't go much past 1.3v as is though, so it's up to you. If you're willing to risk potential damage for 200mhz, then by all means.

Meh I'll try it in a few days maybe. If I get too antsy I'll do it later tonight

13 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Probably not, no. I mean, you have a stable chip that won't see much of a performance increase and has fairly good temps. You would be making it louder and endangering the CPU to get an almost unnoticeable performance increase.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

As long as you're not going to run it 24/7 at high voltage, then the life expectancy of the chip shouldn't really be effected. If you're just trying to get that higher score go for it if it's stable.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

If you're already at 72c you're going to have a nuclear power plant of a chip at 1.35v and a higher frequency. 

I think you're ~at the temperature threshold of your cooling solution. 

It might also take .04v to get even another 100 mhz out of the chip. The closer you get to the limits the more voltage you'll need for gains.