Ethernet switch

svance76

Hello All,

I'm looking at getting a Ethernet switch. I bought my own modem and I'm giving xfinity their crap back. I just need to know If I need a 10/100 or a 10/100/1000. I do get good speeds with xfinity just not sure if a gigabit Ethernet switch is too much or not. Thanks for your help.

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

2 minutes ago, svance76 said:

Hello All,

I'm looking at getting a Ethernet switch. I bought my own modem and I'm giving xfinity their crap back. I just need to know If I need a 10/100 or a 10/100/1000. I do get good speeds with xfinity just not sure if a gigabit Ethernet switch is too much or not. Thanks for your help.

Wouldn't hurt to go to gigabit.

Just now, iasianxmofoii said:

If i were you i'd get a gigabit just for consistency

ok what about easy smart or unmanaged?

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

Just now, svance76 said:

Unmanaged is plenty, unless you want link aggregation or other cool features. 

Just now, peterino55 said:

Unmanaged is plenty, unless you want link aggregation or other cool features. 

what is link aggregation?

3 minutes ago, svance76 said:

unmanaged is fine. unless you're running a business off of it.

1 minute ago, svance76 said:

what is link aggregation?

Using two connections to get double the bandwidth

I am going to want to get 2 of these to put 1 into my son's room for his ps4 and computer and one for my desk to run my computer, ps4, dish network box and wifi. I really only want the wifi and not the ports on the wifi router. I only use the wifi for my phones and tablets.  

7 hours ago, svance76 said:

I am going to want to get 2 of these to put 1 into my son's room for his ps4 and computer and one for my desk to run my computer, ps4, dish network box and wifi. I really only want the wifi and not the ports on the wifi router. I only use the wifi for my phones and tablets.  

Well then an unmanaged switch will be perfect for this job.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.