PC Performance in games suddenly turned bad

Arcaddia
Go to solution Solved by Arcaddia,
8 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Check the drivers and/or check the thermal compound/cooler.

Okay, so i seem to have sorted it I just turned XMP memory off and it's fine now. Weird how it made it lag like that, is anyone or you able to explain this :S? just as a side note I hav had the XMP on for a couple of months now.

Okay so i have a overclock of 80mhz on my gtx 980 sc and i went into rise of the tomb raider to find it suddenly started lagging 30fps average. It's normally constantly 60fps. Then later in the day I decided to go into WoW which is always 60fps never ever has dropped and that was 40 fps (on stock clock) so i have no idea what has happened, I haven't changed anything. Any help/ideas?

[CPU] Ryzen 5 3600x [Cooling] be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 [Mobo] B450 Tomahawk Max [RAM] 16GB (2X8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz [GPU] RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio [PSU] XFX XTR 750W [Case] Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

8 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Check the drivers and/or check the thermal compound/cooler.

Okay, so i seem to have sorted it I just turned XMP memory off and it's fine now. Weird how it made it lag like that, is anyone or you able to explain this :S? just as a side note I hav had the XMP on for a couple of months now.

[CPU] Ryzen 5 3600x [Cooling] be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 [Mobo] B450 Tomahawk Max [RAM] 16GB (2X8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz [GPU] RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio [PSU] XFX XTR 750W [Case] Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

By what I read, when XMP is enabled, turbo boosting needs to be disabled otherwise the CPU will run at it's full clock speed 24/7. I do not know 100% and it's just a hypothesis. This also means that the frame rate drop was caused by the CPU and not the GPU.

Brah, do you even Java?

1 hour ago, B3ASTy said:

XMP is essentially overclocking the RAM. In the case of your Corsair Vengeance modules, they've been tested to work at DDR3-2400 at a certain voltage (probably 1.65V, but varies by model) even though they're actually probably -1600 modules at 1.5V. The problem is that the IMC's on Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPU's are only rated for 1.5V. It's not that they can't push RAM to 1.65V (one could argue that's Intel's way of "encouraging" the enthusiast platforms), but they aren't rated to handle it. Over time, it'll stress the IMC, and that can lead to this kind of lag, since the CPU then has to do parity calculations if it's getting inconsistent results from its memory controller. You can "encourage" it to work harder with a little extra voltage on the IMC, but that's obviously not a great idea when that's part of the problem already.

2 hours ago, Runefox said:

XMP is essentially overclocking the RAM. In the case of your Corsair Vengeance modules, they've been tested to work at DDR3-2400 at a certain voltage (probably 1.65V, but varies by model) even though they're actually probably -1600 modules at 1.5V. The problem is that the IMC's on Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPU's are only rated for 1.5V. It's not that they can't push RAM to 1.65V (one could argue that's Intel's way of "encouraging" the enthusiast platforms), but they aren't rated to handle it. Over time, it'll stress the IMC, and that can lead to this kind of lag, since the CPU then has to do parity calculations if it's getting inconsistent results from its memory controller. You can "encourage" it to work harder with a little extra voltage on the IMC, but that's obviously not a great idea when that's part of the problem already.

Hopefully this did not wear down the cpu ;/. So i'm running it at 1600mhz now :)