Need Best Gaming Headset! Please Help

DEMOLISHER

Title says it all, I need a new gaming headset and have a max budget of about $200. I very much prefer closed back and as little sound leakage as possible. I like them comfortable for long usage and do not really care about RGB lighting and fancy add one. I would like to know your suggestions for the a good audio quality as well as good comfort and little to no sound leakage. Surround sound is not mandatory but is definitely appreciated.

Why not invest in a good pair of headphones and then add a ModMic to it? This would let you choose what kind of headset you want with the sound quality and comfort without sacrificing quality of either the sound or the mic. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

21 minutes ago, Papakuma said:Why not invest in a good pair of headphones and then add a ModMic to it? This would let you choose what kind of headset you want with the sound quality and comfort without sacrificing quality of either the sound or the mic. 

if you have any recommendations for a good pair of headphones that have a detachable mic which have greater quality in the sound department than any gaming headsets, then I would be glad to hear it as I have only been doing research for a few days and have not fully looked into all the headsets out there.

You have a good and reasonable budget here for a variety of options. You could grab the Sennheiser G4ME Zero if you want headset, or you could grab something like the the NVX XPT100 and a Modmic or desk mic to go with it, basically $100 for the headphones and leaving $100 for a decent desk mic. Another closed option would be the Ultrasone HFI 580 and modmic or other detachable mic choice.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

10 minutes ago, sobe said:

You have a good and reasonable budget here for a variety of options. You could grab the Sennheiser G4ME Zero if you want headset, or you could grab something like the the NVX XPT100 and a Modmic or desk mic to go with it, basically $100 for the headphones and leaving $100 for a decent desk mic. Another closed option would be the Ultrasone HFI 580 and modmic or other detachable mic choice.

Thanks for the reply, looked at a few reviews for these headsets. I'm not sure the HFI's are what I'm looking for as they are a bit dated. The G4ME Zero sounds good but the non detachable mic looks like the major downside. What is your input on the 50x's? Those are highly rated, but are they comfortable as well as have good mids/highs?

Hyper X clouds are pretty nice, just recently picked up a pair after I decided that my Logitech G430s were not up to snuff.  Sound quality is pretty nice for a gaming headset and they are extremely comfortable, they feel really sturdy when you pick them up but when you put them on it almost feels like you aren't wearing anything.  

That would be my recommendation for a headset but I also like the idea of investing in a nicer set of headphones for a better audio experience, then adding on a modmic for gaming.

Just now, DEMOLISHER said:

Thanks for the reply, looked at a few reviews for these headsets. I'm not sure the HFI's are what I'm looking for as they are a bit dated. The G4ME Zero sounds good but the non detachable mic looks like the major downside. What is your input on the 50x's? Those are highly rated, but are they comfortable as well as have good mids/highs?

The M50X imo is a good all-rounder for music, even more-so if you are a producer. However, their biggest drawback is that they are horribly overpriced when their sibling M40X offers almost everything the M50X offers, just with less bass. They are highly OVER-rated, and for those of us who have knowledge in this area on these forums, we recommend staying away from the M50X as they are simply not worth their price with other available options(not to mention the lack of soundstage lends themselves horrible for gaming). As for comfort, they are pretty uncomfortable... You can fix that by fitting them with Brainwavz HM5 pads, which are like clouds resting on your ears.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you say the Ultrasones are a bit dated? The M50 has been around just as long.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

2 minutes ago, IgnorantBastrd said:

Hyper X clouds are pretty nice, just recently picked up a pair after I decided that my Logitech G430s were not up to snuff.  Sound quality is pretty nice for a gaming headset and they are extremely comfortable, they feel really sturdy when you pick them up but when you put them on it almost feels like you aren't wearing anything.  

That would be my recommendation for a headset but I also like the idea of investing in a nicer set of headphones for a better audio experience, then adding on a modmic for gaming.

When you say hyper X clouds do you mean the II's?

4 minutes ago, DEMOLISHER said:

When you say hyper X clouds do you mean the II's?

I only have experience with the I's as they were fairly cheaper then the II's when I bought them, though you do gain virtual surround sound with the II's and they aren't much more expensive than the I's now.  Otherwise the two headsets are identical from everything I've seen/heard/read, same high quality build, comfort, detachable mic, extra set of ear pads, etc.

3 minutes ago, sobe said:

The M50X imo is a good all-rounder for music, even more-so if you are a producer. However, their biggest drawback is that they are horribly overpriced when their sibling M40X offers almost everything the M50X offers, just with less bass. They are highly OVER-rated, and for those of us who have knowledge in this area on these forums, we recommend staying away from the M50X as they are simply not worth their price with other available options(not to mention the lack of soundstage lends themselves horrible for gaming). As for comfort, they are pretty uncomfortable... You can fix that by fitting them with Brainwavz HM5 pads, which are like clouds resting on your ears.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you say the Ultrasones are a bit dated? The M50 has been around just as long.

Yeah that's what I thought about them, I knew they were of course going to be overhyped.

As for the Ultrasones, the material looks a bit hard and the headband looks a bit dated compared to the 5 pounds of plush on some of these new headsets in the  past few years. I would rather have extra padding than less padding and the Ultrasones don't look like they cut it in terms of comfort

1 hour ago, DEMOLISHER said:

if you have any recommendations for a good pair of headphones that have a detachable mic which have greater quality in the sound department than any gaming headsets, then I would be glad to hear it as I have only been doing research for a few days and have not fully looked into all the headsets out there.

The ModMic is a detachable mic that can be attached to any pair of headphones. They were designed with the idea that you could have a good pair of headphones and add a mic instead of buying a "gaming headset" which likely makes sacrifices in both areas. 

As for recommendations, that is subjective. What sounds good to one person may not be ideal for the next. The other thing to factor in is comfort. You can have the best sounding headphones in the world but if you can't stand to wear them for more than 5min at a time they are worthless. In this regard I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you go to a store and try some different pairs on. Not only can you evaluate the sound...but you can also find out if they are comfortable for you to use. 

I purchased a pair of ATH-M50s about 4 years ago. A good price at the time and I was happy with them. But as time has gone on I find that they are not comfortable for super long sessions, anything over about 2 hours and I just can't hang anymore. They are also way too hot in the summer where I live. In search for a replacement / upgrade, I went to a local shop and tried a bunch of different headphones from different manufacturers and found out that I really like the sound and comfort provided by Sennheiser. So I'm going to replace the M50s with a open back pair which provides a better sound stage and the added comfort I want for longer use. Now I just have to import a mod-mic or decide on a desktop mic to pair with it!

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Try the ASTRO A40TR:

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-A40-TR-PC-Headset/dp/B014LH5LH4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455705313&sr=8-3&keywords=astro+a40tr

They're $150, and sound leakage is minimal.

The only way someone else could hear is if your volume is very high and you're right next to them.

Sound quality is very good as well, the bass and treble are emphasised a little (most headphones are like this anyway)

So you got 2 options.

HyperX Cloud II (if you dont want a hastle and want the best of the 2 worlds OOORRRR

You can get Superluc 681 EVO and pair it with Samson go mic/ Meteior and have your self almost a professional setup.

I liek the secound one, i personally e it and i think it works great.

25 minutes ago, Cpt Buzzkill said:

So you got 2 options.

HyperX Cloud II (if you dont want a hastle and want the best of the 2 worlds OOORRRR

You can get Superluc 681 EVO and pair it with Samson go mic/ Meteior and have your self almost a professional setup.

I liek the secound one, i personally e it and i think it works great.

Well the superlux is really good for the price, but it really just comes down to what sound signature he likes.

32 minutes ago, MashiroShiina said:

Try the ASTRO A40TR:

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-A40-TR-PC-Headset/dp/B014LH5LH4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455705313&sr=8-3&keywords=astro+a40tr

They're $150, and sound leakage is minimal.

The only way someone else could hear is if your volume is very high and you're right next to them.

Sound quality is very good as well, the bass and treble are emphasised a little (most headphones are like this anyway)

Uhhhmm no most headphones are not that way at all and the astro A40TR are not headphones, they are a headset there is a big difference. What headsets and headphones have you tried since you say they have good sound quality...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

All headsets suck. Afaik no company actually makes their own headsets they just buy components from low to barely mid quality makers, put it in an enclosure, and slap a branding logo on it.

Therefore I suggest you purchase what you want. Your choice of mic, desk:
Blue snowball

Or headphone/mounted anywhere close to your face:
Mod Mic 4

And as both of those go for ~$50 you then have $150 in your budget to just get whatever headphones/earbuds you want. Personally I always suggest going with earbuds because they use smaller drivers so you can get far superior performance out of them at the same price as any other headphone. Also I've yet to find a comfortable headphone to wear for hours on end at the $150 and under price point but it is your setup so do what you want.

Personally I use the Sony Gr07 mk2s and can not suggest them strongly enough.

7 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

All headsets suck. Afaik no company actually makes their own headsets they just buy components from low to barely mid quality makers, put it in an enclosure, and slap a branding logo on it.

Therefore I suggest you purchase what you want. Your choice of mic, desk:
Blue snowball

Or headphone/mounted anywhere close to your face:
Mod Mic 4

And as both of those go for ~$50 you then have $150 in your budget to just get whatever headphones/earbuds you want. Personally I always suggest going with earbuds because they use smaller drivers so you can get far superior performance out of them at the same price as any other headphone. Also I've yet to find a comfortable headphone to wear for hours on end at the $150 and under price point but it is your setup so do what you want.

Personally I use the Sony Gr07 mk2s and can not suggest them strongly enough.

I agree with you when it comes to the mics, but when it comes to headphones I would recomend open back headphones, because the soundstage is bigger and some people don't like in ear headphones that much.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

12 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I agree with you when it comes to the mics, but when it comes to headphones I would recomend open back headphones, because the soundstage is bigger and some people don't like in ear headphones that much.

I disagree. I think it is far more likely that people will love the fact the in ear monitors weigh almost nothing and headphones tend to get uncomfortable after awhile unless you are willing to spend hundreds of dollars (which this person is not). Also the Sony Gr07 mk2s I suggested have interchangable tips and come with a variety of them so you can go with something that comfortably and securely fits the shape of your ear canal. (I currently use the foam ones and find they perform on par with noise isolating/canceling headphones which require a battery to operate)

Heck the stem is even a standardized size and some people get their ear canals made into a mold so they can get absolutely perfectly fitting earbuds.

But once again, what you like is what *you* like. It's all just personal preference.

18 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

I disagree. I think it is far more likely that people will love the fact the in ear monitors weigh almost nothing and headphones tend to get uncomfortable after awhile unless you are willing to spend hundreds of dollars (which this person is not). Also the Sony Gr07 mk2s I suggested have interchangable tips and come with a variety of them so you can go with something that comfortably and securely fits the shape of your ear canal. (I currently use the foam ones and find they perform on par with noise isolating/canceling headphones which require a battery to operate)

Heck the stem is even a standardized size and some people get their ear canals made into a mold so they can get absolutely perfectly fitting earbuds.

But once again, what you like is what *you* like. It's all just personal preference.

What headphones are you using since they become uncomfortable? I can't use in ear for more than one hour and then I want to break them because I hate having something in my ear and I find them so uncomfortable. I have tried the Sony gr07 hated them so much they sound ok but that in ear thing nah man not for me at all and I know that many people feel the same way as me. Open headphones will have a bigger soundstage and a bigger soundstage is better for gaming no matter how you look at it. Open headphones are generally very light and does not have much clamping force. That is why I think that open headphones are the clear winner when it comes to gaming headphones.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

What headphones are you using since they become uncomfortable? I can't use in ear for more than one hour and then I want to break them because I hate having something in my ear and I find them so uncomfortable. I have tried the Sony gr07 hated them so much they sound ok but that in ear thing nah man not for me at all and I know that many people feel the same way as me. Open headphones will have a bigger soundstage and a bigger soundstage is better for gaming no matter how you look at it. Open headphones are generally very light and does not have much clamping force. That is why I think that open headphones are the clear winner when it comes to gaming headphones.

Did you miss the part in both posts where I said it was down to personal opinion? There is no right or wrong. Op should get what he likes best. Maybe he absolutely can't stand losing his ear-ginity even if it is to super comfortable foam earbuds that come in a variety of sizes and shapes to suit damn near anyone. Or maybe he can't stand the added weight of headphones when earbuds can offer amazing sound quality. Either way there is no single "correct" answer for personal preference and it is a complete waste of time to try and force everyone to like what you like because you are a special and unique snowflake and blah blah blah.

9 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Did you miss the part in both posts where I said it was down to personal opinion? There is no right or wrong. Op should get what he likes best. Maybe he absolutely can't stand losing his ear-ginity even if it is to super comfortable foam earbuds that come in a variety of sizes and shapes to suit damn near anyone. Or maybe he can't stand the added weight of headphones when earbuds can offer amazing sound quality. Either way there is no single "correct" answer for personal preference and it is a complete waste of time to try and force everyone to like what you like because you are a special and unique snowflake and blah blah blah.

So you dont think soundstage is a huge thing when it comes to games?

But yeah he should get the headphones he likes the most.

22 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Open headphones will have a bigger soundstage and a bigger soundstage is better for gaming no matter how you look at it. Open headphones are generally very light and does not have much clamping force.

Tell that to the Sennheiser HD 600s.;)

1 minute ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Tell that to the Sennheiser HD 600s.;)

God damn I can't even remember how the HD 600 sounds anymore it's like 4 months since I tried them. Gotta try them again.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

So you dont think soundstage is a huge thing when it comes to games?

But yeah he should get the headphones he likes the most.

In-Ear-Monitors can easily have greater sound stages than headphones. Just because they are massive and weigh 10 pounds and can make your ears bleed from further away doesn't mean they offer any more or less quality or ability to cause permanent damage to your hearing than in ear monitors.

1 minute ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

In-Ear-Monitors can easily have greater sound stages than headphones. Just because they are massive and weigh 10 pounds and can make your ears bleed from further away doesn't mean they offer any more or less quality or ability to cause permanent damage to your hearing than in ear monitors.

I know that in ear can have a good sound stage, but I have never seen or heard some that has a bigger sound stage than a open pair.

Please link I would like to try them if you know some.