New Gaming PC Build for University!

Tobester

I'm going to be buying most of my parts from Overclockers UK and Novatech UK (as I live here, duh... Also, can people let me know their experience with Novatech? Are they any good? - I have used Overclockers before and like the idea of getting free sweets(candy) from them)

Anyway, here are my components that I am thinking of buying, I am on a tight budget (No higher than) £700 ($1000) which to some might not seem 'tight' but I really cannot afford anything more as I need to save up just to be able to live at university.

My component options are:

CPU:

Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz - £172.79

or

Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz  - £179.99

(I have no intention of overclocking as this system needs to last me at least 4 years flawlessly) - Also I feel the new Skylake CPU's will last longer than their older brothers coupled with DDR4 RAM (or is that just me?)

Motherboard:

Not looking for anything fancy here - just bog-standard stuff;

Gigabyte GA-H110M S2H - DDR4 - £46.99(ish)

or

Gigabyte GA-Z97P D3 - DDR3 - £67.99(ish)

Memory:

Kingston Hyper-X Fury Black 8GB DDR4 2400MHz - £34.99

or 

Kingston Hyper-X Fury Black 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - £41.99

Graphics Card: - This is purely a price-based decision + Longevity factor

PALiT GeForce GTX 970 Jetstream 4096MB GDDR5 - £249.99

or

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 2048 GDDR5 (much less 'pricey') - £169.99

Power Supply: 

Cooler Master G650M Semi-Modular 650W (80 Plus Bronze) - £56.99

(Optional - I'm not quite sure yet - Never installed one haha) CPU Cooler:

Cooler Master TX3 Evo CPU Cooler - £17.99 (Bargain Cooling Boost?)

Storage:

Sandisk Z400S SSD 120GB Sata III (Just for OS - Windows 10 Installed via USB Stick) - £31.98

+

Western Digital Blue 1TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive (Games + Programs) - £37.98

(And FINALLY) - CASE!

I really have NO Idea where to look here as I only have around £45-£50 Left to spend on one that has reasonable airflow and cable-management capabilities... EEK! HELP!

(I will edit on the prices of each item and totals when I can be bothered - I will try it now haha)

Basically, any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

TOTAL with Skylake + Motherboard = £710 + Delivery

Haswell + Motherboard = £755(ish) + Delivery (A bit over my price range but if it is REALLY                                    worth the money, I'll pay).

Sorry about the massively long post... I do like to be thorough! (Plus I love formatting things neatly)

2 minutes ago, Tobester said:

Sorry about the massively long post... I do like to be thorough! (Plus I love formatting things neatly)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£171.17 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£83.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£58.52 @ Novatech) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£62.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£40.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  (£274.98 @ Novatech) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£59.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Total: £751.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-16 23:19 GMT+0000

I mean, going with an overclockable build would be better but I gave you this.. well below your budget with an r9 390.

edit. I just read the price point, let me change something

Just now, fragment21 said:

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£58.52 @ Novatech) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£62.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£40.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £751.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-16 23:19 GMT+0000

I mean, going with an overclockable build would be better but I gave you this.. well below your budget with an r9 390.

One reason I forgot to mention on the post is that I do LOVE Shadowplay, yet I might be able to work with a build like this... thanks!

Just now, Tobester said:

One reason I forgot to mention on the post is that I do LOVE Shadowplay, yet I might be able to work with a build like this... thanks!

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£42.98 @ Novatech) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£35.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £710.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-16 23:20 GMT+0000

above by 10

You'll most likely want to go with the Skylake as it's shockingly cheaper.

NZXT Source 220 Window is a excellent case to choose if you want a good looking unit that will support everything you need except for a 2.5" drive (which is fixable by mounting to the bottom fan grill.)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Just now, Tobester said:

It's up to you.. I mean, of course people love the 8gb of vram that the r9 390 has to offer, but if you get a 970 it's okay too, depends on what res monitor you're gonna play on. also lowers down the psu wattage to 550 or 600

Just now, fragment21 said:

It's up to you.. I mean, of course people love the 8gb of vram that the r9 390 has to offer, but if you get a 970 it's okay too, depends on what res monitor you're gonna play on. also lowers down the psu wattage to 550 or 600

I will only be playing on a 1080p monitor for the foreseeable future as of yet, the amount of VRAM is a big advantage I suppose, I'll have a think!  

Just now, Tobester said:

I will only be playing on a 1080p monitor for the foreseeable future as of yet, the amount of VRAM is a big advantage I suppose, I'll have a think!  

I know people may disagree but I think having a higher base clock and overclocking capability of the 970 is good.. get an evga or an asus or an msi 970. it's gonna be good. I got myself an r9 390 and I like it.. :) it's up to you, but everything is there

1 minute ago, fragment21 said:

I know people may disagree but I think having a higher base clock and overclocking capability of the 970 is good.. get an evga or an asus or an msi 970. it's gonna be good. I got myself an r9 390 and I like it.. :) it's up to you, but everything is there

I will be playing games like GTA V and Arma III which I know do like to suck up a lot of VRAM + Processor power, would that make a difference in performance with each card? :)

Just now, Tobester said:

I will be playing games like GTA V and Arma III which I know do like to suck up a lot of VRAM + Processor power, would that make a difference in performance with each card? :)

Of course it will.. I think the r9 390 is for you then. :) It's a really good card and could get your framerates UP with that card. Sapphire is good for base clock + cooler, and also the MSI one is good :)

7 minutes ago, fragment21 said:

Of course it will.. I think the r9 390 is for you then. :) It's a really good card and could get your framerates UP with that card. Sapphire is good for base clock + cooler, and also the MSI one is good :)

Thanks for the help, man! :)

2 minutes ago, fragment21 said:

mhm :)

No price for the Power Supply! Damn, that pushed it over a bit haha nevermind! I can work with it ;)

24 minutes ago, Tobester said:

No price for the Power Supply! Damn, that pushed it over a bit haha nevermind! I can work with it ;)

you can go for a 650w power supply since you're not gonna overclock, or a 700w