Clean Windows 10 install with Windows 8.1 Pro key

Go to solution Solved by EmeraldFlame,
15 minutes ago, boxblax said:

I got it as Windows 8 Pro Pack. And it is a retail key, i checked with slmgr command.

Well the new version of MediaCreationTool makes a united ISO that has both Core and Pro version. How do you I chose then the Pro version? Shouldnt it be automatically selected when I insert the windows 8 pro key during the installation from the usb? Or do I have to skip the insert key part during install and insert win 8 pro key when win10 is installed in the settings?

In that case it will automatically detect you are using a Pro key and should give you the correct version.

So I have a Windows 8.1 Pro (Retail) [that was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro (Retail)] and I am buying a new computer and want to put Windows 10 on it.

My question is, can I do a clean install of Windows 10 from a USB drive on the new computer using the Windows 8.1 Pro key when it asks for a key during the install? Will this install the Windows 10 PRO version?

Also since I first had Windows 8 Pro then upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro, which key do I use? The Windows 8 key from the box or Windows 8.1 key from the computer, but how do I get the Windows 8.1 key?

Pls help.

3 minutes ago, boxblax said:

So I have a Windows 8.1 Pro (Retail) [that was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro (Retail)] and I am buying a new computer and want to put Windows 10 on it.

My question is, can I do a clean install of Windows 10 from a USB drive on the new computer using the Windows 8.1 Pro key when it asks for a key during the install? Will this install the Windows 10 PRO version?

Also since I first had Windows 8 Pro then upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro, which key do I use? The Windows 8 key from the box or Windows 8.1 key from the computer, but how do I get the Windows 8.1 key?

Pls help.

I'am fairly certain as long as you have performed the upgrade process on the key in question any new copy of Windows 10 SHOULD treat it as a legitimate key and not require you to do the upgrade process again. However i have not tried this yet, can anyone verify?

No, this will not work you need to first install Win8 or Win8.1 depending on your key, and then upgrade for free (which is still available) to windows 10, however do try it and if your key does not work call MS and they should be more than likely to help you activate since you have bought a legitimate key as long as you have your proof of purchase.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

Monitors: 2x Asus TUF Gaming 24" 1440p  144hz, 2x LG  75Hz 1080p LED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB Display: 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

7 minutes ago, boxblax said:

Pls help.

I'm not certain it will allow you to simply use your Windows 8 or 8.1 key from a fresh install of Windows 10. If you go through the upgrade route it'll most certainly work. I've tried it my Windows 7 key and it failed. So What I did was to do a fresh install of Windows 7, Update it to SP1 and then do the Upgrade. 

From there I can do a re-install of Windows 10 on that machine as much as I want with out having to worry about the activation as it'll give it a digital digital entitlement. Though I did loose that activation once I upgraded to skylake as it's bound or something to the hardware. 

1 minute ago, leonard_sun said:

I'm not certain it will allow you to simply use your Windows 8 or 8.1 key from a fresh install of Windows 10. If you go through the upgrade route it'll most certainly work. I've tried it my Windows 7 key and it failed. So What I did was to do a fresh install of Windows 7, Update it to SP1 and then do the Upgrade. 

From there I can do a re-install of Windows 10 on that machine as much as I want with out having to worry about the activation as it'll give it a digital digital entitlement. Though I did loose that activation once I upgraded to skylake as it's bound or something to the hardware. 

Yes you are correct the win10 Key binds to your MoBo

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

2 minutes ago, leonard_sun said:

I'm not certain it will allow you to simply use your Windows 8 or 8.1 key from a fresh install of Windows 10.

As long as you are using the current W10 build to make your install DVD/USB it will. The original retail W10 build that was put out didn't allow for it, but since then some of the updates have enable this.

You can simply do a clean install and then type in your W7, 8 , or 8.1 key and it will activate.

1 minute ago, bradmonster said:

Yes you are correct the win10 Key binds to your MoBo

Wait so the key reverts back to whatever it was before windows 10 even if you already did the upgrade? Lame.

Just now, EmeraldFlame said:

As long as you are using the current W10 build to make your install DVD/USB it will. The original retail W10 build that was put out didn't allow for it, but since then some of the updates have enable this.

You can simply do a clean install and then type in your W7, 8 , or 8.1 key and it will activate.

Oh really? That's cool. It'll certainly be a lot faster than the long process of Upgrading. Assuming what you say is correct. :) 

1 minute ago, Preuss said:

Wait so the key reverts back to whatever it was before windows 10 even if you already did the upgrade? Lame.

Not exactly prety much if you install win10 on a desktop and switch your mobo to a new one your windows will un-activate and you will have to buy a new license.... unless you can some how talk them into giving you a new one.

1 minute ago, Preuss said:

No it doesn't revert back to anything. What happened was my Windows 10 became "Not activated" once I changed my old i5 2400 with an i5 6600k which needed a new z170 board.

2 minutes ago, bradmonster said:

Not exactly pretty much if you install win10 on a desktop and switch you mobo to a new one your windows will un-activate and you will have to buy a new license.... unless you can some how talk them into giving you a new one.

thats not true, if you call them and go through the automated process of activating windows over the phone it will unregister the old Motherboard and allow you to install it on a new one. I have done this now twice, once for each of my computers during hardware upgrade time.

Just now, Preuss said:

thats not true, if you call them and go through the automated process of activating windows over the phone it will unregister the old Motherboard and allow you to install it on a new one. I have done this now twice.

I did not know that! Thanks as far as I knew you were screwed if you changed MoBo's 

4 minutes ago, bradmonster said:

I did not know that! Thanks as far as I knew you were screwed if you changed MoBo's 

Basically you just have to install windows, allowing it to say that the key is invalid, then when you go to activate windows do it over the phone, they have a automated service for Smart Phones that is actually very fast and easy to use. I would recommend it over either other way of activating every day. After a bit you will be entering numbers and verified in under 20 minutes.

If you end up talking to a rep, let them know you have changed out motherboards and need to activate windows on the new board.

8 minutes ago, boxblax said:

Can someone refresh my memory, when you upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1 do you get the new 8.1 key? What key would i have to use to do clean install of windows 10?

I'am fairly certain it uses the same key. So the key that came with 8.

20 minutes ago, boxblax said:

So with the latest downloaded Windows 10 ISO, I can do a clean install with the Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro key and it will give me the Pro version of Windows 10?

Correct. Build 10565 added this feature to W10. Just make sure that when you make your W10 install media that you create media for the Pro version.

7 minutes ago, boxblax said:

Can someone refresh my memory, when you upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1 do you get the new 8.1 key? What key would i have to use to do clean install of windows 10?

Typically it would do in an place upgrade so your W8 key should be the one used to activate, unless you bought an outright copy of 8.1 in which case either key would work.

15 minutes ago, boxblax said:

I got it as Windows 8 Pro Pack. And it is a retail key, i checked with slmgr command.

Well the new version of MediaCreationTool makes a united ISO that has both Core and Pro version. How do you I chose then the Pro version? Shouldnt it be automatically selected when I insert the windows 8 pro key during the installation from the usb? Or do I have to skip the insert key part during install and insert win 8 pro key when win10 is installed in the settings?

In that case it will automatically detect you are using a Pro key and should give you the correct version.